Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hopeful Teofore Bennett sparkling in Angola

Adrian Frater, News Editor

Former national striker Teofore Bennett was not around last week when Jamaica started their 'Back to Africa 2010' World Cup campaign as, interestingly, the wily striker is already in Africa, albeit on a different mission.

Bennett, who came to prominence locally after representing Cedric Titus High School in the daCosta Cup and Village United FC in the National Premier League prior to breaking into the national team, is now plying his trade in Angola, representing the Division One outfit Petro Atletico.

"The motherland is treating me very well. In fact, I am very surprised by the reception I have been getting here," said Bennett. "It is only in Europe that I have seen people showing the love I am seeing here. In addition, they are crazy for football."

Language challenge
    Bennett, who previously played professionally in Sweden for Osters FC, said he is enjoying the challenge of playing football in Africa. According to him, while he is faced with a language challenge, since Portuguese, and not English, is the language in Angola, he is, nonetheless, enjoying the people, the culture and especially the football.

"I am coping well and doing just fine in terms of my football," said Bennett. "My team is doing extremely well, we have lost only once in the competition and we are actually leading the league by four points."

In terms of his personal performance, the speedy striker, who has scored four goals for Jamaica, including the Reggae Boyz's impressive 1-1 draw against the United States in North Carolina in 2006, has scored five goals for his club so far, which makes him the team's second leading goalscorer.

Undaunted
    While he has not earned a national call-up since the return of technical director Rene Simoes, Bennett is undaunted, and is still hopeful that he will find himself back into the national mix before the team to South Africa is selected.

"I also take pleasure in representing my country and would welcome any invitation to join the team," said Bennett. "I am hopeful that the news from here in Angola will filter back into Jamaica and catch the attention of the coaches."

Should Jamaica require his service, Bennett should be very sharp as his team, which is a many-time Angolan champion, has several Angolan national players in their line-up. The national players in the team include goalkeeper Lama, defenders Miro and Lebo-Lebo, midfielders Chinho, Manucho and Xara, and striker Santana.

"I am here doing some hard work and keeping myself in good shape so that I will be ready if Jamaica needs me," said Bennett. "I just want to say blessing to all Jamaica from Zion."
    Sunday, August 28th, 2011. We will never forget !!

Questions:

Where was this interview done?
    Can we get a third party verification of his performance so far?
    How many teams are in the league that he plays in?
    How many games has his team played so far?
    How many starts has he had?
    When does the his season begin and end?
    Is he carrying any injuries?

At least he is able to get his name back in the newspaper as a reminder to everyone.
    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Ive always said that he was and still is a better option than Fuller in our frontline. As to why he hasnt been called up is still something of a surprise to me.

Good work Twan.

Comment

Do we know the rating of the Angolan league?
        Is he playing in the top league?
        How expensive is the journey back to Jamaica?

These are my potential roadblocks. Can we put up more?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

" just want to say blessing to all Jamaica from Zion"

I've always wondered where Zion is.
          "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

that nuh matter, get him pon a plane and mek we see what him have.

over to captain Burrell.
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

you have fi ketch the train fus.
              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Warlord View Post
                Ive always said that he was and still is a better option than Fuller in our frontline. As to why he hasnt been called up is still something of a surprise to me.

Good work Twan.

How much is the plane fare from Africa? Send him a plane ticket nuh.
                Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

how you dont ask for same whe its sweden or Russia.. What you dont believe you fellow brothers.. Mind I have to call shatta fi straighten you out..

Comment

Originally posted by Warlord View Post
                    Ive always said that he was and still is a better option than Fuller in our frontline.
                    Based on?

Comment

At least we would get reports and updates out of Sweden

Comment

Ok I give you that.. but the federation can follow up.. Africa is not that far away.

Comment

Bettah option dan Boo, yuh mad.

Comment

Yow unnu nu know seh most of the observer sports reporter

are former village players or supporters.

unnu nuh know seh Seba,violet kickers,wadadah etc use to have most of the stars from trelawny in their heydays.

Comment

Working...
                            X