Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lovindeer sings athletic praise

Lovindeer sings athletic praise

When Usain Bolt broke Asafa Powell's 10-month-old 100-metre world record on May 31, it filled most Jamaicans with a sense of pride but none more so than the legendary muse Lloyd Lovindeer.
    Famous for his witty songs and social commentary, including the world famous, Wild Gilbert inspired by Hurricane Gilbert in 1988, Lovindeer said his latest effort was a direct consequence of the accomplishment of the lanky sprinter from Trelawny, and by the outstanding performances of Jamaica's athletes over time.

"After Usain broke the world record, I realised that we have the two fastest people in the world in this little island leading up to the Olympics. That was significant," he said.
    "Although we could write about Usain Bolt and Asafa Powell, I figured I would just write about our athletes in general because whether you're a world record holder or a bronze medallist, they have done Jamaica proud over the years."

Great athletes
    The songs Run Jamaica Run and Run Like The Wind were finished just this week in time for the start of this weekend's National Track and Field trials to select the team for the Beijing Olympics this August.

Why two songs?
    "Well, I started to write one and so many lyrics came to mind I felt I would write another one," he said. "But the whole world wants to know why we can run so, because we have been producing these great athletes over the years so there must be something in the air down here in Jamaica."

The songs, he said, are going to be on his album scheduled for release at the end of July but he thought he could gain mileage in marketing by seeking help from the Jamaica Amateur Athletic Association (JAAA).
    "After writing the songs, I figured the best people to work with these songs as far as promotion and marketing is concerned is the JAAA. So, I called the JAAA and asked to speak to Howard Aris, president of the JAAA. I told him I had these songs that I had written and I had an idea that these songs could work with our athletes and wanted him to listen to them and see how he felt about them. And, if he liked the songs I could present them to the JAAA to use in any way they wanted."

Good opportunity

Bolt - File
    The JAAA, he said, liked the songs and like the idea. He presented a demo and got some advice and went back to the studio to finish them up. "Mr. Aris suggested that I added a little more bass, so I went back and put a little more in it," Lovindeer said smiling.

He handed them over early yesterday afternoon.

Mr. Aris was very happy to receive the songs.
    "When I heard it, I didn't hear it by myself, there were about four members of the JAAA executive here and everybody felt it was a very good opportunity to do two things. One is to see how we could work with Lloyd and see how we could use it as a motivational tool and to help in the crossover between sports and music."

Aris added that while the songs were exciting, he wanted to work together with Lovindeer to produce a DVD. He put Lovindeer on to one of the JAAA's attorneys to formalise the agreement and they will now see how they can best work together.

To begin with, the song is to be played on the public address system throughout the duration of the trials but they are also other plans in the works.

"The next step has to do with the fact that he has written a very generic song, it is not focused on any particular event or athlete so it is generation free, it is also non-specific so we can use it not only in the Olympic movement, but also at the World Championships," Aris said.
    "It can be used with our juniors, our seniors; it's a clever bit of work and it affords us maximum flexibility in sustaining it and it may become the JAAA's theme song for generations to come."

Singer/songwriter Lloyd Lovindeer (left) smiles as he hands over copies of the songs he wrote to Howard Aris, president of the Jamaica Amateur Athletic Association (JAAA) at the JAAA's headquarters at the National Stadium complex yesterday. - Leighton Levy

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Can we hear the songs? can they be adapted for football promotions? Footballers are athletes...and all on our REGGAE BOYZ should run fast!
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

great work by lloyd Lovindeer.

Big up, wish all the best with your project.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Working...
      X