Cutting A 10 Year Old From The Team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting A 10 Year Old From The Team

Massive, yesterday I had the gut-wrenching displeasure of cutting a 10 year old kid from our team. This kid has some ability but it is my opinion that he doesn't have enough to play at the level I want my team to reach or to the level of the competition I expect we'll face as a U12 team this fall.

Although I feel comfortable that it was the right decision to cut the kid from the team that I coach, I can't help but remember the anguish on the mother's face as I had to tell her that her son was no longer needed. She literally cried, swore, talked to herself before she regained composure after I gave her the verdict. The kid had played 1 football year (fall and spring seasons) for me.

Right now I'm about 2 weeks away from restarting training for the fall season and I'm looking to add a couple more industrious players. Cutting this kid though was much like addition by subtraction.

Better you than me. I've often thought about how hard it is to cut big, grown men from a side. This is much worse!

Tough! But maybe a good life lesson.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

him might come back and beat your team.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Yuh nuh!!

Comment

As long as is not Little Matter, everything cool

Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
          - Langston Hughes

Comment

a dat a the decision that a go give him high blood pressa
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Matter I have been through the ranks from U-8 to senior and back and I can tell you if you do NOT have to cut kids at the young ages DONT! I would ask you why did you cut him? Was he not technical enough, Not big enough? or did not work hard enough? The answers are important! keep in mind this is the very reason why early competition for results is frowned upon..

Comment

Matter, that would have been a no-no for me. I coached Optimist Youth Soccer for 5 years and, in those 5 years, I learned that it's more than performance. It's more about teaching the youths the fundamentals, the techniques, the rigours, the sportsmanship and the love of the game. I would've benched the player (and explained why), until he can improve his game to meet the required standards of the team. Not playing regularly, or having him play sparse minutes in easy games would be my punishment to him.
                "The contribution of forumites and others who visit shouldn’t be discounted, and offending people shouldn’t be the first thing on our minds. Most of us are educated and can do better." Mi bredrin Sass Jan. 29,2011

Comment

yeah....cutting a 10 y.o. is kinda harsh ...... there was absolutely no way you could work with him?

at that age it's about fun first i think, but maybe i'm on old softie .... i did coach the same group from u-11 - u13 (travelling) so i know it can be rough....but thank god i never had to cut someone from the team...some players got less playing time but they were told why and it acted as incentive for them to perfom better....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Put him on the bench!

Originally posted by Matter View Post
                    Massive, yesterday I had the gut-wrenching displeasure of cutting a 10 year old kid from our team. This kid has some ability but it is my opinion that he doesn't have enough to play at the level I want my team to reach or to the level of the competition I expect we'll face as a U12 team this fall.

Although I feel comfortable that it was the right decision to cut the kid from the team that I coach, I can't help but remember the anguish on the mother's face as I had to tell her that her son was no longer needed. She literally cried, swore, talked to herself before she regained composure after I gave her the verdict. The kid had played 1 football year (fall and spring seasons) for me.

Right now I'm about 2 weeks away from restarting training for the fall season and I'm looking to add a couple more industrious players. Cutting this kid though was much like addition by subtraction.
                    ... You lucky it was not a violent soccer mom!
                    The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Comment

Straight up Mattah.

Wrong move!

You are not dealing with professionals. You are working with 10 y.o. kids.

The kid certainly will not fully understand why he cannot play--'specially the fact that he has been with you for the past year.

The substitution methods in the intramural football at that age is not the same in real football. There is room for this Kid--especially if your team has a comfortable lead.

The fact that you posted your action here is an indication that you didinot do the right thing.

Please reconsider your decision.

(Jawge 3:16)
                      The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

I would bench him either... You have to start with the premise the outcome or results is not important. The teaching of the game is more important. Now I understand as we they get older we need to win to satisfy the pyramid of play. However the fundamental principle is result oriented coaching( scores) should be balanced.

Comment

that should be NOT bench him

Comment

nooooo... matter, nooooo... that is just not right... there are plenty of other reasons to keep the kid on the team... you could use his deficiencies as an opportunity to make yourself a better coach... you could learn to challenge the kid to be a better person... physically, socially, emotionally... forget about your time taking the trophy... at that age group, its ALL about the kids, not you... it is for the kids to have fun, stay active, develop an appreciation for the game...

the kids are already WINNERS for participating...

bring back the kid on the team...
                            'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

good talk oj...

Originally posted by OJ View Post
                              I would bench him either... You have to start with the premise the outcome or results is not important. The teaching of the game is more important. Now I understand as we they get older we need to win to satisfy the pyramid of play. However the fundamental principle is result oriented coaching( scores) should be balanced.
                              i think in his heart, matter knows it was the wrong move... the mere fact he brought it to us suggests he has been wrestling with his decision...
                              'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

Working...
                              X