Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Costa Rican Coach is sacked....

SAN JOSE, Costa Rica, June 27

(Reuters) - Costa Rica fired coach Hernan Medford on Friday as a result of their long winless streak in the run up to their 2010 World Cup qualifiers, local media reported.

“At last I’m free,” Medford said after a meeting with the country’s soccer federation chiefs, according to Costa Rican newspaper La Nacion.

Under Medford, Costa Rica went 12 successive games without a victory until they beat Grenada 3-0 on June 21 in the second leg of a World Cup qualifier. The two sides drew 2-2 in the first leg.

He was capped 89 times as a player and had been in charge since October 2006.

The win sent Costa Rica to the next round of qualifying.

They have qualified for the World Cup three times and reached the second round of the 1990 finals in Italy. (Reporting by John McPhaul, editing by Martin Petty)

Copyright © 2008 Yahoo! All rights reserved.
    Copyright © 2008 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.

High Expectations!

Costa Rica's federation chiefs have very high expectation of their football team, unlike________?
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

I guess when youre serious about your football it doesnt matter who you are even if you were a stalwart for your country. They're trying to get to SA2010

Only in CFU would people like Simoes and his coaching staff see out their contract regardless of poor results.

Comment

Originally posted by Hortical View Post
        Costa Rica's federation chiefs have very high expectation of their football team, unlike________?

Yes mi bredrin ....yuh seeit!!

Comment

Originally posted by Warlord View Post
          I guess when youre serious about your football it doesnt matter who you are even if you were a stalwart for your country. They're trying to get to SA2010

Only in CFU would people like Simoes and his coaching staff see out their contract regardless of poor results.
          May we have Simoes' poor results?
          Just asking!
          "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
            May we have Simoes' poor results?
            Just asking!

February 6, 2008 Costa Rica D1-1Friendly Kingston

March 26, 2008 Trinidad and Tobago D 2-2Marlon King, Tyrone MarshallOsei Telesford, Aurtis WhitleyFriendly Kingston

June 3, 2008 Saint Vincent and the Grenadines W5-1Demar Phillips, Marlon King (2), Deon Burton, Ricardo Gardner Friendly

June 7, 2008 Trinidad and Tobago D1-1Luton Shelton Khaleem HylandFriendly

June 10, 2008 Grenada L1-2Ricardo FullerShalrie Joseph, Jason Roberts Friendly

3 Draws 1 win and 1 loss. Two of those draws were attained at the last min while the other we conceded after leading 2-0 at home. That is just poor.

Not going to mention the qualifiers gainst Bahamas because we were expected to win them and we did. We could've done that easily even wit CB
            Last edited by Warlord; June 28, 2008, 05:28 PM.

Comment

unnu fi stop hate. Where is the bad results from Simoes?

With Supporter like unnu who need opponents?
              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                unnu fi stop hate. Where is the bad results from Simoes?

With Supporter like unnu who need opponents?
                I posted the bad results by Simoes already. Furthermore this has nothing to do wit hate but more to do wit ambition and what we expect from our team.

Costa Rica is clearly making a statement that they werent satisfied wit Medford and the results under his leadership and rightly sacked him even though they are just about a 1.5 months away from the semifinal round. Is it a gamble? Of course it is but obviously it needed to be done.

JFF should take a page out of Costa Rica's book. There is a reason why Simoes failed after he left us and coached Trini and Honduras WC teams.
                Last edited by Warlord; June 28, 2008, 05:58 PM.

Comment

If J.f.f even fired Simoes if we do not make it to South Afr

ica would be stupid at best. Unless Simoes attitude and desire change we should keep until 2014 world cup. Jamaica cannot afford to change coach at this time anyhow unless them have money stack away somewhere inna burrell bakery.

Comment

Actually it would make alot of sense if he was fired rite now based on the team's performances and the tactics he's used in most of the games played under his leadership, but JFF do not have enough balls to do that.

I will remind you of one thing. Simoes #1 priority first and foremost is to take us to South Africa. If he fails, he should be fired. No ifs ands or buts. It wouldnt be counterproductive even if we went with a new TD because at that point he would have enough time (2 years +) to develop a strong team for the next qualifying phase.

Comment

the results you posted are BIG improvement over the previous two years. Any sensible analyst or student of the game can tell you Jamaica has improved over the last six months.
                      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

In that case the US should fire their coach as well?

losing and drawing so many games back to back.

Comment

the results you posted are BIG improvement over the previous two years. Any sensible analyst or student of the game can tell you Jamaica has improved over the last six months.

Thats a "big" improvement? Maybe for your level of football and what you've come to expect from the boyz but not mine or any person who holds the inkling that this team can possibly get to SA2010.

His results and tactics have been mediocre and if he was coaching Honduras Costa Rica, Mexico or any South American team he wouldve been fired already.

Have you been seriously watching this team's play? Against better opposition this team will get exposed easily. How is that a big improvement?

Comment

In that case the US should fire their coach as well?

losing and drawing so many games back to back.
                            The US are scratching the surface. They have better quality players than we do and more depth. Their best players arent in their first team rite now. We dont have that luxury.

No comparison at all...besides that decision is up to their federation not me.

Comment

your argument of firing Simoes have no basis and no logics whatsoever.

The man has only played one game of value. Before he took over all we were getting was 5-0 and 6-0. Don't make the two game Tappa played in the national stadium fool you.

Comment

Working...
                              X