Everton vs Sheffield U

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Everton vs Sheffield U

<DIV class=article><DIV class=articleText><H3 class=headline id=headline>Everton v Blades - teamnews </H3><DIV class=articleBody id=articleBody>

Neil Warnock is hoping that several key players can shrug off knocks so that he can name an unchanged side at Everton on Saturday.

United's main concern is with defender Claude Davis, who was struggling with soreness at the end of the Blades' goal-less draw at Manchester City last weekend. The Jamaican international will face a late fitness test ahead of Saturday's match at Goodison Park.

Warnock said: "Claude was struggling a bit towards the end of the City game. We're hoping that he will have a positive fitness test before we set off and will declare himself fit. I know Claude wants to play, and he says he'll be all right. Claude being fit is a massive boost for us."

The Blades boss hopes that defender Chris Armstrong, midfielder Michael Tonge and striker Rob Hulse can play their part on Saturday after feeling the effects of their exertions at the City of Manchester Stadium.

He said: "Armstrong, Tonge and Hulse had nasty knocks and are feeling aches and pains, but we've been careful with them in training this week."

Warnock added that there are a number of players pushing for a coveted place in his starting line-up as competition for places cranks up a notch. Striker Danny Webber, who recently recovered from a hamstring strain, comes into contention after playing 18 minutes at Manchester City.

He continued: "We've got Danny Webber, Steven Kabba and Paul Ifill who are all desperate to get back into the team. I'd have liked to have put Christian Nade on for the last ten minutes at Man City and Ifill is starting to show some form again recently.

Warnock said that the spirit in the squad remains excellent despite the fierce competition for places in the first eleven.

He said: "The dressing room is excellent. We've got a very close-knit community. If I was a squad player, I wouldn't want to leave the club at the minute because the atmosphere is so good."

Meanwhile, in the opposition camp, Everton received a timely boost this week as experienced defender Alan Stubbs returned to full training following a knee injury sustained in training last month.

However, the Toffees were hit by news that right-back Tony Hibbert faces at least two months on the sidelines with a serious groin injury picked up at Middlesbrough last Saturday.

Defensive duo Gary Naysmith (knee) and Alessandro Pistone (Achilles) are definitely out of the clash this weekend.</DIV></DIV></DIV>
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi
Working...
X