X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boyz get some support.....

Government ups pledge to Boyz World Cup campaign to $150M

Saturday, June 28, 2008

The Jamaican government has increased its pledge to the Reggae Boyz campaign for the 2010 World Cup in South Africa, by 200 per cent.
    Sports Minister, Olivia 'Babsy' Grange, made the announcement during Thursday's signing of an agreement of co-operation between the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) and the University of the West Indies (UWI) at the Mona Visitors' Lodge.
    Grange revealed that the government has increased its donation to the campaign to $150 million, with disbursement in excess of $40 million annually.
    "The money will, in the first year, be paid over to the JFF in monthly tranches of more than $40 million. Subventions will continue in the second year after the Reggae Boyz qualify and up to the finals," Grange declared after the JFF and UWI brokered a partnership that will see the establishing of the National Football Academy at the UWI Bowl, Mona Campus.
    The money will be disbursed through the state-owned Sports Development Foundation (SDF).
    Minister Grange also used the opportunity to implore corporate Jamaica to assist the Boyz with their 'Back to Africa' campaign.
    "The Government usually puts it money where its mouth is...get on board and become partners in the development of Jamaica through football and the wider sporting opportunities that now present themselves," she said.
    Grange, who is also the minister of information, youth and culture, believes the partnership between both entities will raise the standard of football and develop viable programmes that will be beneficial to both genders.
    "I look forward to the Academy becoming fully operational within a reasonable time frame and I know that we can depend on the 'Captain' (Horace Burrell, JFF president) for that kind of commitment and leadership," said the minister. "Let me also thank the administration of the University led by Professor Gordon Shirley for having the foresight to realise the importance of a partnership such as this."
Working...
X