'It's my home field' Marshall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'It's my home field' Marshall

For the Reggae Boyz, Jamaica's World Cup qualifying football match against Canada next month will be a road trip. For everyone, that is, except Tyrone Marshall.
    The defender will be right at home on August 20 at the BMO Field in Toronto, where he is in his second season with professional club Toronto FC of United States Major League Soccer (MLS). The arrangement, though not fulfilling all his wishes, still suits him just fine.

welcome relief
    "At first I was hoping they would have the game in Montreal," he said yesterday. "The pitch is very good there. It's a grass field. BMO is field turf, artificial."
    But Marshall is not complaining.

"The (BMO) field has its good and bad," he argued. "It's my home field. I know the ins and outs of it."
    The "good" is that the ball will roll smoothly, suiting the Boyz' passing game, and provide welcome relief after they suffered through the bumpy surface at the multi-purpose stadium in Trelawny during their last qualifier against The Bahamas on June 18.
    The "bad" is that the surface can serve up a higher bounce than natural grass and gets a bit slick and fast when wet. The players will also have to be careful that their cleats do snag the surface.

"You also have to watch the footing," said Marshall, who revealed that he cautiously avoids longer cleats when he practices on the field with his club, but uses them in games. "You can get caught in the rubber."
    Yet Marshall insists that the BMO pitch at the 20,000 capacity stadium, the only one built specifically for football in Canada, is "decent to play on." Any negative, he added, is far outweighed by the positives the Boyz can expect in Toronto, where Marshall believes his team will be comfortable. The climate for the 6:30 p.m. (Jamaica time) kick-off should be balmy and nice - "just like Jamaica" - he said, "probably in the high 60s, low 70s".
    "The weather should not be a big factor," Marshall said.

Neither should fan support. Toronto has a large Jamaican community. Those, added to the normal traveling band of loyal Reggae Boyz supporters, including those who plan to cross the border from the US, could bring a huge advantage for the visitors.
    "The Jamaican turnout won't be a problem," Marshall said. "I'm kinda getting excited about it being here ... Jamaicans will bring their vibes and that's what gets the players going."

'Group of Death'
    The Canadians, including the national players at Toronto FC, may already be a bit worried.
    "I keep teasing them that we would play here in Toronto," said Marshall about teammates Jim Brennan, a midfielder, and goalkeeper Greg Sutton. "They said they don't want (the game) there because more Jamaicans will be there than Canadians."

The Boyz will need all the help they can get. Jamaica are lined up in the so-called 'Group of Death' in the CONCACAF semi-final round alongside Canada, Mexico and Honduras. Only two teams will advance. Overall, Canada have a record of six wins, two losses and five draws against Jamaica. In World Cup qualifiers Jamaica and Canada share a win each, plus two draws. Neither team has ever played at the BMO Field.
    According to Marshall, it will be important for Jamaica to get off to a good start to the round on August 20.

"I know it's going to be a tough game," he said. "The Canadians are very tough. They have a very talented squad and now they've started to believe they can play together.
    "We're going to have our hands full. But we have to go out and get some type of positive result."
    At least Marshall won't have to travel too far to do that.
    Gordon Williams is a Jamaican journalist based in the United States.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

A Mi Yard!

It's my home field' GORDON WILLIAMS, Contributor

Jamaica's Tyrone Marshall (centre) celebrating a goal in the friendly match against Trinidad and Tobago on March 26 at the National Stadium. The Reggae Boyz will face [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]Canada[/COLOR][/COLOR] at Marshall's home field in [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]Toronto[/COLOR][/COLOR] on August 20. - file

For the Reggae Boyz, [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]Jamaica's[/COLOR][/COLOR] World Cup qualifying football match against Canada next month will be a road [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]trip[/COLOR][/COLOR]. For everyone, that is, except Tyrone Marshall.
    The defender will be right at home on August 20 at the BMO Field in Toronto, where he is in his second season with professional club Toronto FC of United States Major League Soccer (MLS). The arrangement, though not fulfilling all his wishes, still suits him just fine.
    welcome relief"At first I was hoping they would have the game in Montreal," he said yesterday. "The pitch is very good there. It's a grass field. BMO is field turf, artificial."
    But Marshall is not complaining.
    "The (BMO) field has its good and bad," he argued. "It's my home field. I know the ins and outs of it."
    The "good" is that the ball will roll smoothly, suiting the Boyz' passing game, and provide welcome relief after they suffered through the bumpy surface at the multi-purpose stadium in Trelawny during their last qualifier against The [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]Bahamas[/COLOR][/COLOR] on June 18.
    The "bad" is that the surface can serve up a higher bounce than natural grass and gets a bit slick and fast when wet. The players will also have to be careful that their cleats do snag the surface.
    "You also have to watch the footing," said Marshall, who revealed that he cautiously avoids longer cleats when he practices on the field with his club, but uses them in games. "You can get caught in the rubber."
    Yet Marshall insists that the BMO pitch at the 20,000 capacity stadium, the only one built specifically for football in Canada, is "decent to play on." Any negative, he added, is far outweighed by the positives the Boyz can expect in Toronto, where Marshall believes his team will be comfortable. The climate for the 6:30 p.m. (Jamaica time) kick-off should be balmy and nice - "just like Jamaica" - he said, "probably in the high 60s, low 70s".
    "The weather should not be a big factor," Marshall said.
    Neither should fan support. Toronto has a large Jamaican community. Those, added to the normal traveling band of loyal Reggae Boyz supporters, including those who plan to cross the border from the US, could bring a huge advantage for the visitors.
    "The Jamaican turnout won't be a problem," Marshall said. "I'm kinda getting excited about it being here ... Jamaicans will bring their vibes and that's what gets the players going."
    'Group of Death' The Canadians, including the national players at Toronto FC, may already be a bit worried.
    "I keep teasing them that we would play here in Toronto," said Marshall about teammates Jim Brennan, a midfielder, and goalkeeper Greg Sutton. "They said they don't want (the game) there because more Jamaicans will be there than Canadians."
    The Boyz will need all the help they can get. Jamaica are lined up in the so-called 'Group of Death' in the CONCACAF semi-final round alongside Canada, Mexico and Honduras. Only two teams will advance. Overall, Canada have a record of six wins, two losses and five draws against Jamaica. In World Cup qualifiers Jamaica and Canada share a win each, plus two draws. Neither team has ever played at the BMO Field.
    According to Marshall, it will be important for Jamaica to get off to a good start to the round on August 20.
    "I know it's going to be a tough game," he said. "The Canadians are very tough. They have a very talented squad and now they've started to believe they can play together.
    "We're going to have our hands full. But we have to go out and get some type of positive result."
    At least Marshall won't have to [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]travel[/COLOR][/COLOR] too far to do that.
    Gordon Williams is a Jamaican journalist based in the United

Comment

So the game is in Toronto after all. Any information on tickets; when and where they go on sale, anyone? Thanks.

pr
      Peter R

Comment

OJ check out tickets for the game, and mi work pon travel arrangements right now. I might fly in for the game, or charter a bus depending how many tickets I can get.
        Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

them pull another one pon Pespi?

Wha happen to the trip to Montreal now? Maybe him can go to the Jazz festival instead.
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Just checked and I have not seen any information on tickets. will update as soon as I know.

Comment

Tickets to the Toronto match will be available through Ticketmaster (ticketmaster.ca or 416.872.5000) while tickets to the Montréal match will be available through Admission (admission.com or 514.790.1245). Tickets for the first two matches go on sale this 14 July. Tickets to the Edmonton match will be available through Ticketmaster (ticketmaster.ca or 780.451.8000); details regarding the Edmonton on-sale date should be announced shortly.

Comment

Will it help the Canadians even if the match is played in Montreal? I'm sure there would still be a hugh Jamaican turnout than the Canadians supporting the Reggae Boyz.

I will even go as far as saying some Canadians with a Jamaican spouse would support the Boyz more than their native Canada.

Not being unpatriotic, but for the love of the game.

Comment

montreal is a smaller stadium and they dont dispense the tickets the same way. They have some safe guards that restricts the tickets or steer them to Canadian fans by selling through the clubs or support groups. That way they ensure a largely Canadian support. For example for the game vs vincy most vincy fans got tickets through the vincy consulate.

Comment

Working...
                  X