• Show
Clear All

• 'Just ask Omar'

'Just ask Omar'
    JFF boss urges St James politicians to lift football

PAUL A REID, Observer West writer
    Thursday, June 26, 2008

MONTEGO BAY, St James-
    Jamaica Football Federation's (JFF) president Horace Burrell has charged St James' politicians to emulate their Kingston counterparts by helping local clubs develop proper facilities.

Urging Jamaica Labour Party members of parliament Dr Horace Chang, Clive Mullings and Ed Bartlett to ask former Minister of Finance, Dr Omar Davies, the chairman of Arnett Gardens club, to explain how he was able to transform the Tony Spalding complex into a quality facility, Burrell said partisan politics had no role in the game at this level.

"I believe that when you hold an office like this you should not be political," he said of his JFF office, "I think I need to say what needs to be said...I believe that facilities in Montego Bay and western Jamaica on a whole are lacking. I am talking about the clubs not having their own facilities or not getting the level of assistance that the other clubs in Kingston are used to getting."

Burrell, who was the guest speaker at Saturday's press launch of the Linkz FM pre-season schoolboys' 20/20 Football Fiesta at the Pelican Restaurant in Montego Bay, also charged the local clubs to stand up to their political representatives and demand better treatment.

"When I look at Arnett Gardens for instance: Dr (Omar) Davies, the former minister of finance who is the chairman of that club, and quite rightly so, he ensured by using his clout that Arnett Gardens has a first-class stadium...When you look at Tivoli Gardens, the Most Honourable Edward Seaga being the chairman has used his clout to get all that he was able to garner and the Railway Oval is in a fairly good condition.

What is happening in western Jamaica, where is the home for Wadadah, Wadadah, where is your home, Violet Kickers, where is your home, Seba United, where is your home?"

Having better facilities, he said, would not just enhance the quality of football here in the West but would also help in the reduction of crime.
    "There are many warring factions here throughout the parish of St James and I believe that football can act as a catalyst to speed up the kind of unity that is necessary to bring all these various communities together and this is why I am hammering home the point."

The clubs, he said, would never be able to "by themselves find the amount of money that is necessary to build a football club house or to build a field that can properly allow you to train and play games, it is not possible, it is your political representatives and corporate citizens in the area who should come together."
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Suh MPs must now use dem CDF fi mek football field? WE cyaan knock the JFF president fi say dat ... afterall ...what else him fi say? There are more serious matters fi address throughout the country fi anybody a consider football field now.

What Burrell needs to do is revamp the leagues by bringing them all under the JFF and allow the parish associations to focus only on youth development.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
      Burrell, who was the guest speaker at Saturday's press launch of the Linkz FM pre-season schoolboys' 20/20 Football Fiesta at the Pelican Restaurant in Montego Bay, also charged the local clubs to stand up to their political representatives and demand better treatment.
      Once again, our journalists screwing up. Wouldn't this be a good time to explain the term 20/20 football?

sigh

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Nuh football with 20 minute halves ??

Comment

So yuh mean all along we were playing 45/45 football?

If that's what it is then what's the big deal!?! Dat never did a gwaan from long time?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

ah bwoy.. its funny is Horace Chang more likely to help Seba or Botafogo..? Burrell is missing the point. Mobay teams or west teams are not seen as getting the spoils of garrison like that of defined Kingston teams. I think you could say the same for Hview too..

Comment

Big difference Mr. Burrell when you are the minister of Finance or the opposition you have real clouth, can draw from many resources.

So burrell stop preach to the Mobay business them and start preach to the politicians them.

More than all the clubs in Mobay need to organize themselves in order to get support.

Mi want see the Hotel that will want a shotta team with them name accross their chest. It plain and simple, them rather use the mone build fence.
              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Working...
              X