George Thompson passes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• George Thompson passes

A soldier gone home’…. The Jamaica Football Federation salutes the life and work of George Oliver Thompson, well known as ‘George T’, considered by many to be the most successful schoolboy coach in the history of Jamaica’s football.

His successful coaching of the 1964 Kingston College team to victory at the Manning Cup, Olivier Shield and Walker Cup levels and his subsequent repeat of this in 1965 & 1975 has always remained uppermost in the minds of football fans over the years. This as well as his marshalling of the National Schoolboy Team against a Brazilian Under 23 team to a highly respected drawn game in 1964.

Coach George Thompson not only excelled at the school boy level but was indeed a national coach, including coaching national senior, junior teams; at the club level including Arnett Gardens and the Jamaica Defence Force.

George is also specially well respected because so many of those he coached have become successful at an academic and professional level that it confirms that he had a profound and all-round impact on the very many lives he touched.

Truly altruistic, selfless and humble and the type of coach who players ‘played for’ is the unanimous description of most of his peers and those who indeed played for and under his stewardship.

George was an all-round sportsman, being a founding member of the renowned Gibson Relays.
    On behalf of the Federation, the President Captain Horace Burrell extends sincerest condolences to his immediate family, as well as all his peers, the players he coached who hold him in the highest esteem, the entire football fraternity and the many care givers who attended to him during the years of his illness.

Captain Burrell comments “George Thompson will remain an icon of monumental proportion in the nation’s football history. His place in the hall of fame in the sport is very well secured. May his soul rest in peace and life perpetual shine upon him”.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Gave a lot to football and well respected. Them man deh is foundation.

Comment

a truly great man. I hope he didnt suffer too much. Purple and white forever.

Selah.

Comment

This was a man who did not go on ego-trips. Down to earth...just a pure good man.
        Walk good, George T.
        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Worked with George T when he was manager at JDF FC. He could get grown men to do amazing things with just a whisper. Never heard him raise his voice in over three seasons with the soldiers, all the while getting results on the pitch.

Rest in Peace, George T.

Comment

I attending KC when coach Thompson was there and although I never played ball I still remember having conversations with him in his office with other students. You did not have to be an athlete to get George T's attention and I second Dweetsweet assessment on his demeanour. BTW, one of my most embarassing moment on the football field happened when George T was a referee in a inter school match(class match) that I was playing in. I was out there doing my thing(which was not much ) and one of my teammate made a bonehead play and I gave him a piece of my mind with a few chosen Jamaican badwud. Mr. T did not say anything but just gave me a look and that look was enough to put me in my place.

George Thompson was truly a great servant of Jamaica. May God rest his soul.

Comment

Fortis Cadere Cedere Non Potest

Comment

A great man, great Jamaican, great coach, great teacher and Kingston College hero. We all called him George T...the greatest coach that I've known. Throughout my years at K.C. I remember watching him conduct Manning Cup coaching sessions, in his trademark calm and cool demeanor. I also remember hanging out in his office with manning cup players and personal friends such as Errol "Sala" Lewis, Rohan Headley, Kenneth "Jockey" Chambers, David "Rambo" McCrae, Herbert Richards, Perri Marshall and many other players of the day. It was certainly fun times then, as K.C. was in devastating form 1985 and 1986 winning the Manning Cup, Walker Cup and sharing the Olivier Shield with the Amazing Ruseas team of 85. I really miss those times, George T, and what he represents to the K.C. family. The last time I saw coach was in new York at Roy Wilkins Park at a Football match featuring past KC players...let's say his ailing health was really evident. In my mind and many others he will forever be an Icon.

Comment

Nuff respect due to George T, Whey KC wouldah duh without dis yah stalwart inna di camp. Man job well done. Jah bless T

Comment

Working...
                  X