• Show
Clear All

• Harbour View release Scarlett

Taken from www.jamaica-gleaner.com

Harbour View release Scarlett
    published: Thursday | July 17, 2008

Jermaine Lannaman, Freelance Writer

Scarlett

FORMER REGGAE Boy Robert 'Little Bibi' Scarlett and Harbour View have parted ways.
    The 29-year-old defender, who has been a permanent fixture at the east Kingston club, has reportedly fallen out of favour with [COLOR=orange ! important][COLOR=orange ! important]management[/COLOR][/COLOR] and was recently given his release to ply his trade elsewhere.
    "It is true, Scarlett has been released," Clyde Jureidini, general manager of Harbour View, told The Gleaner. "He is one of four players, along with defenders Loxley Thomas, Gregory Simpson and Ricardo Smith who, after reviewing their performances last season, the club has decided to let go," Jureidini said.
    A speedy left-footer, Scarlett, who is a past student of Donald Quarrie High, was a standout after joining the club in the late 1990s. Nicknamed 'Little Bibi' after the playing style of current Reggae Boy Ricardo 'Bibi' Gardner, he was identified as a talent from a young age and was propelled to national representation at various age-group levels, first under current national technical director René Simoes and other subsequent national coaches.
    Transferred
    After his first four seasons with Harbour View, Scarlett was transferred to Russian club, Spartak Moscow in 2002.
    However, after failing to impress sufficiently, he was given only one game and, despite being a part of their UEFA Champions League roster, never played.
    He returned to [COLOR=orange ! important][COLOR=orange ! important]Jamaica[/COLOR][/COLOR] where he assisted Harbour View to their first title in 2004 before leaving midway the 2005 season to join Real Salt Lake in the US Major Soccer League. He made nine appearances for Real Salt Lake.
    He returned to Harbour View in 2006 and in 2007 played an integral role in them capturing their second title.
    However, since then it is reported that he and the management have been at loggerheads, a situation which worsened late last season when, according to Jureidini, he missed several training sessions. Harbour View finished fourth in the league.
    No training
    "He was not available for [COLOR=orange ! important][COLOR=orange ! important]training[/COLOR][/COLOR] towards the end of last season and this didn't help in us considering the renewal of his contract," Jureidini said.
    "Robert has been a long-standing [COLOR=orange ! important][COLOR=orange ! important]franchise [COLOR=orange ! important]player[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] at Harbour View but it seems in the last season he lost interest in local football. We, however, know he is a capable player and hope he can bounce back. We wish him all the best," he added.
    Efforts to contact Scarlett for a comment proved futile. Scarlett, who made his debut for Jamaica in 1999 against Costa Rica, last represented the island against Australia in 2005. He scored three goals in 38 appearances for the national team.
    Meanwhile, it is reported that a number of clubs have been expressing interest in signing him. They include newly promoted Meadhaven, Arnett [COLOR=orange ! important][COLOR=orange ! important]Gardens[/COLOR][/COLOR], St Georges and Waterhouse.

This bredda jus fell off the map.

Comment

Indiscipline was his down fall. The amount of slackness him keep up was simply ridiculous.

Comment

Showing up unfit and out of shape at Real Salt Lake ended his brief MLS career.
        Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

At this stage and age Scarlett must be fustrated. he expected a bigger career and for one reason or another it just didn't happen and I can see how he has lost interest.

Now it is up to him if he wants to revive his career or retire.
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Scarlett has been acting "like he lost interest" years ago. The man have a certain parasite mentality that prevented him from moving up with his career.

Comment

Needed a manager about 10 years ago. Too many distractions and some people dat him hang wid didn't help.

Sad, because I always thought he was our best option at left back.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I agree with that and he would have made better use of his oppurtunities but when you dream as a teenager and then at 27 you look at you self and you have not accomplished a third of what your god given talent could have taken you, you either going to walk away, lose interest or start putting it togather and as Fabian Davis did he walked away from Arnett and got a new life.

I hope Scarlett can do it too.
                • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Him did look promising fi chue, but di promise tun out to be a promise of regression an nuh progression. So sad,so sad, but ah suh di ting set, yuh can tek di horse di to waatah but yuh cyaah force him fi drink.

Comment

Working...
                  X