McClaren ends Beckham England e****

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McClaren ends Beckham England e****

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=629 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=3><DIV class=mxb><DIV class=sh>McClaren ends Beckham England era </DIV></DIV></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=416><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=203 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><DIV> <DIV class=cap>Beckham won his 94th cap in the World Cup defeat to Portugal</DIV></DIV></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>David Beckham's England career appears to be at an end after new manager Steve McClaren left him out of his squad.

Beckham's name was absent as McClaren unveiled his first squad - for the friendly against Greece on 16 August.

"I told David I was looking to change things, looking to go in a different direction, and he wasn't included within that," explained McClaren.

The new England boss would not rule out recalling Beckham but the 31-year-old seems unlikely to add to his 94 caps.

<DIV class=avinline>News conference: England boss Steve McClaren </DIV><DIV class=avinline>Archive: Beckham quits as England skipper </DIV>

Beckham said in a statement: "Having spoken to Steve McClaren this week I can fully understand that a new manager should want to make his mark on the team and build towards the next World Cup.

"I'm proud have played for England for 10 years and my passion for representing my country remains as strong as ever."

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=208 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=5></TD><TD class=sibStdQuote><DIV><DIV class=mva><DIV id=q1></DIV>He took the news very well, although he was disappointed <DIV id=q2></DIV><BR clear=all></DIV></DIV><DIV class=mva><DIV class=mva>England boss Steve McClaren</DIV></DIV></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

McClaren said he had been impressed by Beckham's reaction on being told he was not part of his plans for England's future.

"I have great respect for David," said McClaren.

"He was a fantastic captain for England, a great player, and still is a great player.

"He took the news very well, although he was disappointed.

"I got the reaction I wanted, and the reaction was he would continue to fight for his place, and I will never close the door on that."

The Real Madrid midfielder quit as captain after England's World Cup exit in July but insisted he wanted to continue playing.

Despite his omission from McClaren's first squad as manager, BBC Sport understands Beckham will not announce his international retirement.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=208 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=5></TD><TD class=sib606><DIV class=sihf></DIV><DIV id=q2></DIV><BR clear=all><DIV class=mva><DIV class=mva></DIV></DIV></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

He made his debut in a World Cup qualifier against Moldova in September 1996 at the age of 21.

Stand-in boss Peter Taylor made him captain for a friendly against Italy in late 2000, a role he was handed on a permanent basis under Sven
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

RE: McClaren ends Beckham England e****

How many of England's goals in the just concluded WC did Beckham have a hand (Foot) in? Unuh notice there is no out cry about Beck's being omitted?

I can see what McClaren is attempting to do .. that move was needed in the world cup.

I think if Becks is having an outstanding season in La Liga, he will be called again.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

RE: McClaren ends Beckham England e****

Lazie (8/11/2006)How many of England's goals in the just concluded WC did Beckham have a hand (Foot) in? Unuh notice there is no out cry about Beck's being omitted?

I can see what McClaren is attempting to do .. that move was needed in the world cup.

I think if Becks is having an outstanding season in La Liga, he will be called again.
      It is kind of funny these English people. Think about it, no outrage, no tyre bun no blocked streets? And when you think about it, Beckham is still at a point where he can contribute.
      "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Working...
      X