• Show
Clear All

• Chelsea set to land Kaka for record £80m

· Negotiations with Milan at an advanced stage
    · World player of the year keen on move to London

Gomes Filho and Sid Lowe in Madrid
    The Guardian,
    Saturday July 19, 2008

The world player of the year is said to view a move to Chelsea as 'attractive'. Photograph: Adrian Dennis/AFP

Chelsea appear set to sign the Milan playmaker Kaka for a world-record €100m (£79.3m) after discussions took place this week, with both clubs and the Brazil international keen for a deal to go through. Sources at Stamford Bridge have confirmed that Chelsea are targeting the 26-year-old and it is understood that Milan are inclined to accept a bid of €100m tabled this week.

Initially reluctant to depart, Kaka now believes the transfer, which would smash the record of £46m Real Madrid paid for Zinedine Zidane in 2001, is in everyone's interests. His contract does not expire until 2012 but he is eager to play for Luiz Felipe Scolari, who gave him his international debut against Bolivia in 2002 and included him in the Brazil squad for that year's World Cup finals despite him being only 20 years old. The current world and European player of the year also believes Chelsea are the most attractive destination in European football.

Chelsea sent a representative to Milan this week to present a bid to the Italian club. Far from rejecting the offer out of hand as is normal practice and as they did with approaches from Real Madrid last summer, Milan sent a delegation to London and negotiations have continued.

Discussions have also taken place with the player's camp over personal terms, with Kaka, who has scored 22 goals in 59 games for his country, set to earn a significant rise on his salary as well as a €15m signing-on fee. He will arrive in Milan today after spending the summer recovering from arthroscopy on his knee at Sao Paulo's training centre in Brazil.

"Real Madrid offered €90m last summer and Milan did not even think about the bid," said Kaka's personal assistant and closest adviser, Diogo Kotscho. "This time is different. This is the first time we feel that a deal will definitely happen. Because of the [financial] situation Milan are in at the moment, the deal is good for all parties involved.

"The move would represent a significant increase in Kaka's salary, on top of the 10% transfer fee that goes straight to the player anyway - some €15m. Chelsea are the club to be at right now. They are building a team to win everything."

Given their current financial difficulties, Milan can ill afford to reject such a huge bid. Having failed to qualify for the Champions League, they have had to cut costs at the same time as embarking on the renewal of an ageing squad. They continue to seek a striker and the sale of Kaka would enable them to follow through on their interest in Arsenal's Emmanuel Adebayor, despite their vice-president Adriano Galliani's claim that Ronaldinho would be their final signing of the summer. Meanwhile, the arrival of the former Barcelona player - and the tumultuous reception he was given - has persuaded them they can release Kaka, safe in the knowledge that they have a glamour signing in his place.

Kaka believes he has shown his loyalty to Milan by staying last season, despite Madrid's interest. He has not demanded a transfer this season either, with the impetus coming from the two clubs. However, he does not want to continue at a club that will not play in this season's Champions League. Kaka's relationship with Galliani and the club's owner Silvio Berlusconi has also been strained by Milan's refusal to allow him to represent Brazil at the Olympics. Milan said Kaka was "tired" - a claim he publicly denied. Worse still, Ronaldinho has been allowed to go to Beijing.

If the deal can be completed it would virtually destroy the chances of the Real Madrid forward Robinho completing his "dream" move to Stamford Bridge. The La Liga champions are unwilling to sell until they can sign Cristiano Ronaldo from Manchester United. Last night Sir Alex Ferguson insisted the Portugal winger would still be at Old Trafford next season.
    "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Milan rule out Kaka sale

AC Milan have ruled out the possibility of Kaka joining Chelsea this summer.

Kaka's advisor revealed the Brazil playmaker was keen to join the Premier League giants in a world record deal.

With Milan keen to raise funds to aid the arrival of Ronaldinho they were reportedly willing to cash in on Kaka.

(continue)
    "Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
    - Xavi

Comment

Tilla the headline on soccernet is that Kaka isn't for sale. Your article claim negotiations are in an advanced stages ... now ... does that equate to tappinig up?
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Lazie, to show you do not understand what is "Tapping up". Firstly, the article I submitted is not mine, it is published by The Guardian in England. Secondly, as far as I know, Chelsea have not been talking to the player behind the back of the club who holds the rights to him. Chelsea's approach is to put money on the table they think Milan will not turn down. When Chelsea start working on Kaka to make him say he wants a transfer while the club says no, unlike you I will admit it as inappropraite. But for now, the approach by Chelsea to Milan is not against the rules.
        "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Originally posted by Tilla View Post
          Lazie, to show you do not understand what is "Tapping up". Firstly, the article I submitted is not mine, it is published by The Guardian in England. Secondly, as far as I know, Chelsea have not been talking to the player behind the back of the club who holds the rights to him. Chelsea's approach is to put money on the table they think Milan will not turn down. When Chelsea start working on Kaka to make him say he wants a transfer while the club says no, unlike you I will admit it as inappropraite. But for now, the approach by Chelsea to Milan is not against the rules.

Suh wait .. Manu been talkin to Dimitar? Chelsea basically doing the same thing like Manu ... but you accuse manu of going against the rules. Wow .. did someone refer to manu as being hypocritical?
          Last edited by Lazie; July 19, 2008, 02:05 PM.
          "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Kaka Hole ta ****************!
            “I am not a politician..I only suffer the consequences”.......Peter Tosh

Comment

Working...
            X