Beckham Is to Mosiah And Lazie BOTH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beckham Is to Mosiah And Lazie BOTH

Are Right...Marketing Success{Immortal ....But a mere mortal on the field....

Beckham's US move: One year on

By Matthew Price
    BBC News

America loves its celebrities, and it loves its winners.

David Beckham is both, and they clearly love him too.

David Beckham is clearly popular with young female football fans
    In the year since he first played for LA Galaxy after a multi-million dollar deal, the one-man marketing machine has helped fuel record attendances and record sales of merchandise across a country where soccer (aka "football") is hardly a sporting passion.

When the New York Red Bulls hosted LA Galaxy this weekend, the obligatory group of young female fans was screaming for Beckham.

They'd painted B-E-C-K-S onto their midriffs.

"It's so surreal to see him. He's right here in front of us! He smiled at us!"

He whips the ball in the mixer

US fan
    They were not, though, Galaxy fans - but New York Red Bull supporters.

This match was clearly testing their allegiance.

"David Beckham was one of the reasons we wanted to come to this game," one woman admitted, as children swarmed around in "Beckham, 23" shirts.

"David Beckham brings class to the game in America. He whips the ball in the mixer," another fan added.

Along with whipping in the mixer - whatever that may be - there's no doubt that Beckham has raised the profile of the game in this country.

Most of the fans at the game wouldn't have come if he hadn't been playing.

'More experimenting'

Is it, though, Beckham's football or his celebrity that's attracting them?

David Beckham has raised the profile of football, or "soccer", in the US
    "I don't care as long as they're here and as long as they're watching the game," Beckham said at a pre-match press conference.

"Whether it's because of my celebrity¿ or whether they just want to see a soccer game, it's so important that people turn out and enjoy the game."

In fact, if you ask the bosses of Major League Soccer in the US the same question, it's clear that the celebrity aspect was the driving force behind bringing him here in the first place.

"David is to Major League Soccer in many ways what Michael Jordan was to the NBA [basketball] or Wayne Gretsky was to the NHL [hockey]," says Don Garber, the commissioner of Major League Soccer.

"When they go on the road the attendances are far higher¿ and that's a good thing because more people are experimenting with soccer in America.

"As long as a percentage of them stay with us and become bigger fans, that's a good thing."

The hype's there, we've got to keep it going

David Beckham
    Certainly the last year has made Beckham even more of a star in the States.

He and his wife "Posh" now get the kind of attention in the US gossip magazines that they might well rather not have.

Coast to coast, he sprawls across billboards in his underpants, or his sunglasses.

He even - with a wry smile - steals pens off autograph hunters in one television ad.

It is exactly what the money-men who signed the deal wanted.

To what end though? Few here believe that soccer could ever attempt to rival the big three: American football, basketball, and baseball.

'Going well'

"Our goal is not to beat the NFL or beat the NBA - our goal is to be a respected sport," says Mr Garber.

He argues they have the fan base already.

Major League Soccer's Don Garber wants football to be "respected"
    Five million people in America, he says, watched the European Football Championships this year.

"There is no doubt in our mind that we will be a major, major league in the United States at some point," Mr Garber adds.

As for David Beckham, he says football here is growing, "but it's going to take time".

"It's a long term plan.

"It's going well, and that's obviously what this game needs in this country. The hype's there, we've got to keep it going."

Hype, though, may not be enough.

Besides a few exceptions, the quality of play is pretty low.

Standing in a sweltering Giants stadium, watching the Red Bulls and Galaxy scratch a 2-2 draw, felt a little like watching second division football back in England.

Don't just take my word for it.

One of Beckham's reported successes was the role he played in attracting the former Dutch international Ruud Gullit to sign up as manager of LA Galaxy this season.

As Gullit told journalists just after the game, "a lot of players still need to work on their own game, and that means they can't think for the team, so you have to start at the beginning.

"For me it doesn't go quickly enough."

How often do you hear a manager of a supposedly major club say he's basically starting from scratch?
    "Everyone who knows me understands that I hold no prejudices in this regard....In the family atmosphere of the {RBSC}telethon, I forget that not everyone knows me that well." ....attributed to Jerry Lewis....

For every article like this one, you can find two that will big-up Beckham's football skills, so the debate will rage on. And the article did not really talk about Beckham's football. Instead, it put the rest of the league in the spotlight, as if Beckham is doing his part, it's the rest of the league that needs to catch up.

heh heh!

It would be very interesting to see what would happen to the MLS should Beckham retire after this season. One thing I know, Galaxy's football might improve then!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

What makes a good Footballer?

Can this question be answered objectively by any reasonable person or is it simply a matter of opinions. I pose this question, because I for one cannot see any rational reason why Jermaine Hue can't even make our bench.
      i was at the game last time out in Ohio and including all US players on Big contracts and Jason Euell from Premier League, Hue was the Most valuable Player to me no if or butts about it...It augurs incomprehension when I do not see any stand out player better than him, yet these players constantly get call to the national side.
      It seems that once again we will wait until the last minute to think rationally objectively, and correctly. It is for this reason, that I now only watch and hope we qualify, in no particular order of importance...Watching the reggae boyz this time around will be a classic waggonistic attitude for me..."I will only watch the Ride, from the comfort of my living room...Canada Canada here I come not.....travelling to Canada and hoping we will win does not work well with my blood pressure if we lose....I thought after all that transpired with our last campaign in terms of winning most games on the road and playing the US twice with outstanding display although concluding with draws. We would now be at least feared and dominant in CONCACAF.
      However, I now see an obvious regression on our part in regards to team play, selection and cohessiveness....God.. I hope I am wrong in my assessment, but at this juncture I suppose not.
      "Everyone who knows me understands that I hold no prejudices in this regard....In the family atmosphere of the {RBSC}telethon, I forget that not everyone knows me that well." ....attributed to Jerry Lewis....

Comment

Did you see the game against England?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Yes I did felt the same way

That is why it amazes me so so ...it seem as if mi no no ball or mi a look fi different things or players to make T.E.A.M.
          Even the Youth weh John barnes select fi go a England a wa so John Barnes no know ball.. How come RENe no look pon him.

Comment

Suh yuh nevah si di calls to retire Tappa.. then WALLAH Brazilian Coach mek him CAPTAIN !?

Yuh cyann fallah every likkle opinion.. my secret is to employ Critical Thinking...cyann lose..

Comment

What makes a football player?

Different question from who has great technical skills? ...even great technical skills in many areas? ...or a most entertaining player?

Great football players = TEAM orientated, TEAM loving individuals who are passionate about TEAM & its goals...and who also have exceptional technical skills.

Pele!
              Maradona!
              Fabregas!
              Beckham!

Bobby Moore!
              Bobby Charlton!
              Franz Beckenbauer!
              Michael Owen!

...because the first group brought higher levels 'sweet' entertainment with touch and swagger many consider the second group second class. That is not so! All the above brought TEAM first attitude...without which they would and could never be considered GREAT!

The swagger and flair is just bonus! Many are the players who do not have that swagger and flair and who are in the great group.

It should be striking to The Massive that there is not one player who can be considered GREAT who does not have the TEAM trait! The TEAM mindset is the hallmark found in every GREAT player!

Jermaine Hue previous to 2008 just does not work hard enough...with/on that single minded focus on TEAM! Currently even at his age it just may be that working with the current Harbour View coach that extra TEAM focus may be added to his game and his play then steps up several notches.

When assessing a players' worth - It may be instructive to dismiss the 'swager and flair' and then ask self...say to self...yes there is swagger and flair but what does he/she bring to TEAM?

Aside:
              ...and when considering selecting the player for TEAM ask self; is that contribution to TEAM on par or greater than the player competing for the same position whose technical skill is on par with the 'fancy don'?

There should be no doubt on who to select as best for TEAM!
              ------------
              Perhaps our two most visible players who most show a lack of understanding of TEAM...what it would take to propel them into the super-star realm...are Fuller and Luton Shelton! I think they have 'enough' excepting for that TEAM mindset to propel them, as it is often said, to the next level!
              "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
                Jermaine Hue previous to 2008 just does not work hard enough...with/on that single minded focus on TEAM! Currently even at his age it just may be that working with the current Harbour View coach that extra TEAM focus may be added to his game and his play then steps up several notches.
                What nonsense! When have we seen Maestro play this year?!? What game was PeeJay talking about? When did he play against England?!?

You bring up this "new HVFC coach" thing just in case Maestro has a good showing against PUMAS you can say it's the work of this new coach. Great pre-emptive strike, Karl, but wi not buying it!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                  What nonsense! When have we seen Maestro play this year?!? What game was PeeJay talking about? When did he play against England?!?

You bring up this "new HVFC coach" thing just in case Maestro has a good showing against PUMAS you can say it's the work of this new coach. Great pre-emptive strike, Karl, but wi not buying it!
                  Yuh nat mek-in sense!
                  Frankly it is playing for the coach and TEAM that I am mentioning...not that the coach can help improve his technical skills. Maestro has that down pat. It is his work attitude and willingness to put in more effort for TEAM that holds him back...

...and I have been saying that from 'wappie waus a bwoy'! He has the 'goods' minus the work ethic!
                  "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Mosiah forget the play of the day, think about the pay day

For every article like this one, you can find two that will big-up Beckham's football skills, so the debate will rage on. And the article did not really talk about Beckham's football. Instead, it put the rest of the league in the spotlight, as if Beckham is doing his part, it's the rest of the league that needs to catch up.

heh heh!

It would be very interesting to see what would happen to the MLS should Beckham retire after this season. One thing I know, Galaxy's football might improve then!

The sole reason for bringing Beckham to the USA was to attract attention to the sport and increase the fan base. Looks like it is working.

A bigger MLS means more work for Jamaican ballers in the future
                    The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Comment

Mosiah forget the play of the day, think about the pay day

heh heh!

The sole reason for bringing Beckham to the USA was to attract attention to the sport and increase the fan base. Looks like it is working.

A bigger MLS means more work for Jamaican ballers in the future
                      The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Comment

Fine! S'long as people nuh try tell mi say Becks a play good ball!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                        X