Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sir Alex Ferguson in dig at 'ageing' Chelsea

James Ducker in Durban

Sir Alex Ferguson has lit the blue touchpaper four weeks before the new season by claiming that Chelsea's squad may have already peaked and that Luiz Felipe Scolari will struggle to exorcise the ghost of José Mourinho.

Although Ferguson believes that Chelsea represent the biggest threat to his team's chances of retaining their Barclays Premier League crown, the Manchester United manager suggested that Scolari, newly installed at Stamford Bridge, will be hard pressed to match, let alone surpass, Mourinho's achievements as he wrestles with an ageing squad. Scolari is less than a month into the job, but already the mind games have begun.

Speaking during United's pre-season tour to South Africa, Ferguson said: “I'm not concerned about Chelsea. Mourinho won the title two years in a row and beat us in the FA Cup Final [in 2007, as well as winning two League Cups], so there's no one who can improve on his record really.
    “It would have to go beyond Mourinho's performance to really worry us. It will be a challenge with the players they've got and the players they've added - they've got a lot of experience and that was the one thing I was a bit concerned about - but I don't know how far that team has got to go.”

Ferguson believes the wealth of experience in Chelsea's squad will stand them in good stead in the short term, but he is convinced that, in contrast to his own players, they have already fulfilled their potential.

Although the average age of the Chelsea team sent out by Avram Grant, Scolari's predecessor, in the Champions League final in Moscow in May was only marginally higher than that of the United side fielded by Ferguson - 28.45 compared to 27.45 - United have a noticeably more youthful set-up. The average age of United's recognised first-team squad is 25.43 compared with Chelsea's 27.32. In addition, Chelsea possess nine players aged 30 or over, including Deco, who joined from Barcelona last month, while United have only five players in that category.

“Scolari is fortunate,” Ferguson said. “He is joining a big club and a team of internationals, so in that respect it's not an issue at all, but it's hard to see where there's going to be a big improvement with a team that's really very experienced. Maybe [they've] plateaued in a way. How can they accelerate beyond what they've done up to now when you see the ages they've got?”

Other than John Obi Mikel, 21, and Salomon Kalou, 22, Chelsea have no established first-team players under 25, while United boast Anderson, Nani, Wayne Rooney, Cristiano Ronaldo, Carlos Tévez and Darren Fletcher, a factor that Ferguson believes could tell in the coming seasons.
    “They've got Kalou and Obi Mikel who are young and Petr Cech [at 26] is a fantastic goalkeeper,” Ferguson said. “I'm not saying necessarily they're [an] old [team] because with the modern-day training methods, you should be playing in your thirties, but I don't see outstanding progress in a team that's in their thirties.”

Ferguson's comments drew an immediate response from Chelsea. Michael Essien, the midfield player who signed a new five-year contract yesterday, said: “For me, only Chelsea will be up there in May. Chelsea will win the title this year. I think we've got a lot of the best players in the world and the boss is going to help us.”

Ferguson believes one of the biggest obstacles to United retaining their title is the fixture list, with Portsmouth, Liverpool, Chelsea, Blackburn Rovers and Everton to play away before November, in addition to the European Super Cup match against Zenit St Petersburg in Monaco on August 29 and the Club World Cup in Japan in December. “We will have to be good,” Ferguson said.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Paul Marin say Fergie is classless ...but ... y'all gotta love this guy. What yuh say Tilla?
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

no we don't gotta....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

The man only speaking the truth. The side old, but very experienced. If Scholari can successfully rotate the team, then they should be there come next May. It's just plain fact.
        Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
          no we don't gotta....
          Haytah!!!! Its like Dark Vador have a play fi each coach inna him mindgames manual. When dis man walk away from football only then unuh will see his value.

Comment

Originally posted by Jangle View Post
            The man only speaking the truth. The side old, but very experienced. If Scholari can successfully rotate the team, then they should be there come next May. It's just plain fact.
            I think there is another team that may have something to say about the outcome .... mi a wait fi see X annual predictions first though.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
              I think there is another team that may have something to say about the outcome .... mi a wait fi see X annual predictions first though.
              Suh lacka laas ear yuh dun write off di (now) even YOUNGER GUNNERS?
              Iffen laas ear wi neva did throw weh 16 pints hat leass... ...an 6 pints innah innah di laaas few games unnh wudden did si winnings

Watch wi dis-yah ear!
              Go GUNNERS!
              Last edited by Karl; July 22, 2008, 03:41 PM.
              "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Same arguments every year. More than 50% of the time the outcome is the same. I don't know why I bother when I know that Man U keeps winning so much so that they have won the premiership for more than 50 % of the seasons in which it has existed. The hurry come up arguments come every year. Chelski, Livafool, Foolcastle, Tottenscam, Assinal. "Also Rans" are they. I am convinced that Man U does not win every season because the others would be too discouraged to continue. Not to mention that fans may not show up to see the perrenial "Also Rans."

Blessed Livi gone home so Mosiah walking alone. Karl and company dont have no shame. Tilla side is such a one hit wonder I bet Balla dont watch them anymore. Somebody get a green shirt fi Balla, please.

Mek mi tell oonu bout heart break. One year Baros score some buck up goals at Euros. The Livafool fanz got false hope and thought he was going to sizzle. Guess what? Him fizzle. Same thing coming with the Spaniard.
                Last edited by Westman; July 22, 2008, 06:27 PM.
                "Jah Jah see dem a come, but I & I a Conqueror!"

Comment

Chelsea's Essien hits back after Fergie jibe

Michael Essien insisted Chelsea were the Premiership favourites after Manchester United's Alex Ferguson kicked off the pre-season mind games by casting doubt on their ageing squad.

The Ghana midfielder said the "world-class" experience of players such as Frank Lampard, Michael Ballack and new signing Deco—all aged 30 or more—would give Chelsea the edge in the trophy race.

"For me, only Chelsea. Chelsea is going to win the title," he said.

(continue)
                  "Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
                  - Xavi

Comment

Ferguson is worried about Chelsea.
                    "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Originally posted by Tilla View Post
                      Ferguson is worried about Chelsea.
                      Worried? Yuh sey dat wid a straight face?

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
                        Worried? Yuh sey dat wid a straight face?
                        Yes. I think Fergie is sh&$#ng in his pants right now. Old age setting in. . .
                        "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Originally posted by Tilla View Post
                          Yes. I think Fergie is sh&$#ng in his pants right now. Old age setting in. . .
                          well the ole man should know why there is no need to fear an old team.

Comment

Fergie start de mind games ah bit too early...de season not even start yet......worried indeed!
                            “I am not a politician..I only suffer the consequences”.......Peter Tosh

Comment

Originally posted by Raggs View Post
                              Fergie start de mind games ah bit too early...de season not even start yet......worried indeed!
                              Too early? Is there a rule when the games should start? Fergie is the author of "Master of the Mind Games!" How unuh ago tell the master him start too early?

Comment

Working...
                              X