Angry Blades boss shows ref a red card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Angry Blades boss shows ref a red card

<SPAN class=storyHeadline id=UcContentDisplay1_repContents__ctl0_lblContentT itle>Angry Blades boss shows ref a red card</SPAN><SPAN class=ContentDate id=UcContentDisplay1_repContents__ctl0_lblContentD ate>

</SPAN>
    <SPAN class=ContentHTML id=UcContentDisplay1_repContents__ctl0_lblContentH TML><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=310 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><P align=right></TD></TR><TR><TD>
    <DIV class=storyImage></DIV></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Outspoken Sheffield United manager Neil Warnock has called for referee Dermot Gallagher to hang up his whistle after his part in the 2-0 loss to Everton at Goodison Park on Saturday.

Warnock was dismayed at Gallagher’s decision to send off Claude Davis for a foul on Andy Johnson in the 32nd minute.

The decision virtually handed Everton the points, though they made hard work of keeping them in the bag.

“I felt the referee blew too early, in fact he even blew before he had gone down,” Warnock said. “You can’t blame Johnson, but every time anybody went down they got a free kick.

“But if they stayed on their feet and tried to play the game they didn’t get a free kick. I’m disappointed in Dermot’s performance and I have said that to him.”

The destination of the points should never have been in doubt from the moment the Toffees scored their second goal and United were reduced to 10 men.

But the Blades, knowing they had nothing to lose, revelled in the freedom.

With more assured finishing, they would have embarrassed an increasingly anxious Everton.

Mikel Arteta’s headed goal and James Beattie’s penalty after the Davis’ dismissal should have rendered the remaining 57 minutes of the match a formality for Everton.

Instead, they stuttered nervously and United spurned a series of opportunities to put themselves back in contention.

Everton will gratefully take the win, their first in five games, but United, who acknowledge they must fight for salvation at this level, can draw belief from this performance. Warnock would have preferred to be fighting from only one goal down and with 11 men.

“I don’t blame Johnson for going down,” Warnock said. “It’s not a penalty but good luck to him.

“I don’t think it is anything like a penalty. Claude Davis is quick and got back goal-side of the lad, who realised he wasn’t going to get a shot on goal and (went) down.

“Maybe Dermot should have retired last season. He had a bad game out there and it is a reflection on the young lads coming through that they asked him to stay on a year. I feel we are keeping young lads back and I was surprised.”

Gallagher and the result aside, Warnock took some positives from the match.

“You wouldn’t have known who had 10 men,” he said. “We had six or seven great chances.”

His opposite number, David Moyes, conceded it was anything but a virtuoso performance, yet he was satisfied.

“I asked the players for a clean sheet and a win and they delivered,” he said. “They probably treated it a little more easily when they were against 10 men.

“Sometimes you are galvanised when you are down to 10.”

Everton’s early momentum owed much to the right-wing raids of Phil Neville, who delivered the cross from which Arteta headed them in front after 13 minutes.

Arteta was involved in a tantalising move that led to Everton’s second goal and the expulsion of Davis.

Johnson, who h
    No need to thank me forumites.

RE: Angry Blades boss shows ref a red card

What he really should be angry about is shelling out three million pounds to sign Claude when he could have gotten Shavar for far less and a much better investment.

Wonder what he will say when the red and yellow cards start piling up and Claude start missing crucial games late in the season as they try to stave off relegation?
    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
    Che Guevara.

Comment

See ... when mi say yuh a hate pon the youth, yuh gwaan like a lie Lazie a tell.
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Unfair sickko... although I think Claude can be erratic in his tackling he has played well and has not looked out of place. Encourage the youth star...

Comment

Freedom of speech- dat Paul Bogle and Daddy Sharpe ded fah and unnu wah come tek it fram me????
          Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
          Che Guevara.

Comment

Wonder if yuh know that with freedom of speech comes a level of responsibility? The way yuh a tear dung the youth is clearly irresponsible.

Stop hate pon the youth.
            "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Sickko (10/23/2006)What he really should be angry about is shelling out three million pounds to sign Claude when he could have gotten Shavar for far less and a much better investment.

Wonder what he will say when the red and yellow cards start piling up and Claude start missing crucial games late in the season as they try to stave off relegation?
              Look like when you in hating mode you nuh think too right. Coach probably ask you how come him nuh in the National team for how long, then him might ask what happen at him previous trials in England and then him might ask you why is that he has been on the bench for extended periods in the MLS and has not been a guaranteed starter, while Claude is one of the best defenders in the Championship.

Comment

T.K. (10/23/2006)<SPAN class=ContentHTML id=UcContentDisplay1_repContents__ctl0_lblContentH TML>
                “I don’t think it is anything like a penalty. Claude Davis is quick and got back goal-side of the lad, who realised he wasn’t going to get a shot on goal and (went) down.[/b]

</SPAN>
                It's one thing to say it wasn't a penalty, but when yuh say the above, then...

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Mosiah, Please Check Your RBSC Messages. Thanks.

Comment

Sickko (10/23/2006)What he really should be angry about is shelling out three million pounds to sign Claude when he could have gotten Shavar for far less and a much better investment.

And yuh call yuhself journalist.
                    President of the FACCAC - Fans Againts Clueless Crenston and Cronies (cronies include Mosiah and Sicko)

Comment

spon on mosiah, The issue is Claude allow the forward goalside and then paid for it. But such is life, he will learn not to put himself in that situation as you usually get punished when that happens at that level.

Comment

And to be fair, I'm yet to see Claude put on some cane cutting tackles on anyone. So, maybe he is learning how to tone that part of his game down. If only Stew Peas could demonstrate some progress in that regard...

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                        X