MLS to expand to 18 teams by 2011!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MLS to expand to 18 teams by 2011!!!

TORONTO (AP) - Major League Soccer intends to add two teams in time for the 2011 season, boosting the number of clubs to 18.

The announcement was made Thursday following a meeting of the MLS board of governors, and hours before the MLS All-Stars faced English Premier League team West Ham United at Toronto's BMO Field.

MLS, which currently has 14 teams, already has announced expansion teams for Seattle, beginning in 2009, and Philadelphia in 2010.

League commissioner Don Garber provided updates on prospective expansion cities to the board during Thursday's meeting. Those being considered include Atlanta , Las Vegas, Montreal, a second team for New York, Ottawa, Portland, Oregon, and Vancouver, British Columbia.
    In a release, the league said it would provide specific details on the expansion application process within the next seven days.

In his annual address Wednesday, Garber indicated that St. Louis, a city he called "one of the birthplaces of soccer in America," is a strong candidate for expansion.
    "There's a lot of support there and we've got to be successful in the Midwest," Garber said.

The league, now in its 13th season, has teams in Chicago, Colorado, Columbus, Dallas, Houston, Kansas City, two in Los Angeles, New York, New England, Salt Lake City, San Jose, Toronto and Washington, D.C.
    Phoenix Suns star Steve Nash, who is Canadian, attended the All-Star game to meet with league executives. He is part of a bid to bring an MLS team to Vancouver.
    Montreal and Vancouver already have teams in the United Soccer Leagues, which essentially comprise the second, third and fourth divisions of American soccer.
    The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Hope there's a promotion and relegation plan in place too.

Comment

dat soun right yes

Comment

Will never happen. The MLS owns the franchise and so them a keep all the teams up to secure money.

I am just happy that a team coming to Atlanta. A hope a pon my side a town so HL can waste fi him gas.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

The promotion, relegation thing doesn't suit the MLS.

Comment

which side a town are you assasin...
            'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

That's why the standard will not improve much.
              Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

It doesn't happen in all of American sports. Why would we expect it to happen in the MLS?

It won't!

Why doesn't it suit the MLS? You mean in terms of the structure of the league?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Paulding, Cobb, pon the North West ends.
                  • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

It is all about money. When MLS put a team in a town they want to gurantee certain amount of money. If the money nah run them fold it like what they did in Miami.

You see how fast All Star game went to Toronto? Because them know how the money woulda run.

Comment

promotion and Relegation wont work well in N.A.. If they let in Vancover and Montreal they get two teeam with built in 20k+ per game fan base and estalish markets and teams.. Montreal or Vancouver already have mls calibre teams and stadia and coporate support

Comment

Working...
                      X