HL my call for Obrien White

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HL my call for Obrien White

First let me say I am not telling anybody that Obrien is the next Pele or anyone else. I have no reason to.

All I ever did was call for the youth to be given a trial with the Jamaica national senior squad based on the following facts

Until recently as 3 weeks ago I heard from two sources that the coaching staff is not aware of Obrien exploit and most don't even know that such a player exits. There are also those who think we have enough good forwards.

What are his exploits?
    breaking the single season scoring record for one of the best program in D1. This program has sent many players to the MLS including one Damani Ralph. UCONN program is accepted by all as one of the top US D1 college program.

He is the only Jamaican ever to win all three top honors as player of the year in its history. All the coaches pretty much say he is the best player in college in the USA.

He was highly recruited by pro clubs but decided to play his final year in college. If he went to the pro he would have been seen and everybody would be saying call him.

All I am saying is our coaching staff need to be aware of players who have achieve that much and deserve to give them at least a look. If he went to trials and didn't make it I would drop it as I knew they were saw what he had to offer.

If I see talent that is not seen I will promote it but I am not the one that is going to compare them to Pele and other greats who deserve their name in history.

By the way the US and Canada is already aware of this but he is unable to represent either as he is tied to Ja from youth internationals or he would end up in their colours no doubt.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

what about comparing him to freddy adu?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

I refuse
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

yuh is a stealthy assassin.....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

I will just say

O'Brian White Wins M.A.C. Hermann Trophy

STORY LINKS
          White's Acceptance Speech
          White's Hermann Page

SAINT LOUIS, Mo. - University of Connecticut men's soccer player O'Brian White (Scarborough, Ontario) has been named the winner of the 2007 Missouri Athletic Club (M.A.C.) Hermann Trophy, the most prestigious individual award in intercollegiate soccer. The award is the official National Soccer Coaches Association of America (NSCAA) Player of the Year award for Division I competition.

White, the third UConn player to receive the Hermann Trophy, led all NCAA Division I men's scorers in points with 53 and goals with 23, including six in postseason play. He also notched seven assists on the season. White was selected as the BIG EAST Offensive Player of the Year and was also a unanimous choice on the all-conference first team after earning conference Player of the Week honors five times this season.

He had seven multi-goal efforts this season, including three hat tricks. White became the first player in UConn history to tally back-to-back hat tricks, as well as three in a career. He now holds the UConn record for goals in a season, bypassing the mark set by Joe Morrone, Jr. in 1979. White is eighth all-time at UConn with 101 career points (40g, 21a).

"There are so many people who have contributed to my success as a student-athlete and I would like to acknowledge them and share this award with them tonight," White said at the M.A.C. Hermann Trophy ceremony. "Without their support, I would not be the player or student I am today. I am honored to have the opportunity to share this award and humbled to be among the great players who have come before me. Thank you to the Missouri Athletic Club for their part in tonight’s events."

Said head coach Ray Reid: "We are extremely proud of O'Brian's accomplishment tonight. He deserves this award as he had an outstanding junior season and it is a great testament to the rest of the players on the team, who were able to put him in good spots to score goals time and time again. As O'Brian approach his senior year, he has three simple goal - to graduate, to win the national championship and become the first back-to-back Hermann Trophy winner since Mike Fisher (Virginia, 1995 & 1996). This could not have happened to a finer young man, he has all the right values and priorities."

On behalf of the University of Connecticut Division of Athletics, Senior Associate Director of Athletics Paul McCarthy said: "This is truly a special day for O'Brian White, UConn Soccer and the University. O' Brian is a tremendous talent and a great person who represents all of the very best qualities of a student-athlete. We look forward to another year with OB as it's our genuine pleasure for this gifted student- athlete to represent the University of Connecticut."

The top runner-up vote getter was Virginia Tech junior forward Patrick Nyarko (Kumasi, Ghana) followed by the 2006 MAC Hermann Trophy winner, Notre Dame senior forward Joseph Lapira (Lake Charles, La.).

The Missouri Athletic Club has been presenting college soccer’s players of the year awards since 1986. The MAC was established in 1903 as an athletic, dining and social club. It has a “Platinum Club of America” status, which is awarded to the top private clubs in the country.

Two former Huskies earned MAC Player of the Year honors during their playing careers at UConn. Morrone was the 1980 recipient after guiding his team to the NCAA Quarterfinals, while Chris Gbandi took home the trophy in 2000 following UConn's second NCAA national championship.

Based in Kansas City, Kan., the NSCAA is the largest coaches' organization in the United States. Since its founding in 1941, it has grown to include more than 26,000 members who coach both genders at all levels of the sport. In addition to a national rankings program for colleges and high schools, NSCAA offers an extensive recognition program that presents nearly 10,000 individual awards every year. It fulfills its mission of coaching education through a nationwide program of clinics and week-long courses, teaching more than 4,000 soccer coaches each year.
          An exhibition dedicated to the Missouri Athletic Club’s Hermann Trophy featuring all former recipients of both the MAC and Hermann trophies, the current winners, a replica of the Irish crystal trophy and the original Hermann Trophy is on display at the National Soccer Museum in Oneonta, N.Y. Additional information about the National Soccer Hall of Fame can be found at www.soccerhall.org.

Comment

Now check out the guy who came third

International career
            Lapira is a full international for the Republic of Ireland. He qualifies for the Republic by virtue of his Irish mother, and came to the attention of former Irish boss Steve Staunton through his uncle, Michael Lynam, who works for the FAI. He gained a cap for Ireland on May 23rd, 2007 against Ecuador, becoming the first amateur player to play for Ireland since Willie Browne in 1964.

Comment

O'Brian White's Acceptance Speech

O'Brian White's Acceptance Speech

M.A.C Hermann Trophy

Thank you very much. There are so many people who have contributed to my success as a student-athlete and I would like to acknowledge them and share this award with them tonight.
              Without their support, I would not be the player or student I am today.

First, I would like to thank my parents, my grandma, Maria and Vanessa for their love and support. Next I would like to thank my teammates for putting me in the position to make a difference on the field. I would like to thank our coaching staff, Coach Reid, Coach McDonough, Coach Deeley and Coaches Bacher, Bertsch and Brenner, for everything they have done to help me develop as a person and a player. I would like to thank Coach West, our strength coach, and Steph Milazzo, our trainer, for keeping me in the best possible condition.

I would like to thank Alissa our sports information director, for being here with me tonight and for all of her hard work promoting the team. I would like to thank Becky Taylor, my academic counselor, for keeping me motivated in the classroom throughout the year. I would like to thank Mr. Hathaway, our athletic director and Mr. McCarthy, our associate athletic director, for their support of the program and providing me with the opportunity to be a student-athlete at UConn.

Lastly, I would like to thank the Goal Patrol and all of the fans back in Connecticut who support the UConn soccer program. I am honored to have the opportunity to share this award and humbled to be among the great players who have come before me. Thank you to the Missouri Athletic Club for their part in tonight’s events- I wish you all a wonderful evening…Thank you.

Comment

Obrian's White's Honor Roll

Bio

White's Honor Roll

M.A.C. Hermann Trophy winner
                • NSCAA Player of the Year
                Soccer America Player of the Year
                • NSCAA First Team All-America
                Soccer America First Team All-America
                College Soccer News First Team All-America
                First Team All-Northeast
                • BIG EAST All-Tournament Team
                BIG EAST Offensive Player of the Year
                First Team All-BIG EAST
                BIG EAST Offensive Player of the Week (10/29)
                Soccer America Team of the Week (10/16)
                BIG EAST Offensive Player of the Week (10/15)
                NSCAA National Player of the Week (10/10)
                BIG EAST Offensive Player of the Week (10/8)
                Soccer America Team of the Week (10/8)
                College Soccer News Team of the Week (10/8)
                Soccer America Team of the Week (9/13)
                College Soccer News National Player
                of the Week (9/11)
                College Soccer News Team of the Week (9/11)
                BIG EAST Offensive Player of the Week (9/10)
                BIG EAST Offensive Player of the Week (9/3)
                SoccerTimes.com Team of the Week (9/3)
                Preseason All-BIG EAST
                • Led NCAA in scoring with 23 goals and 53 points
                • Six game-winning goals
                • Three hat tricks
                First Team All-BIG EAST
                First Team All-Northeast
                BIG EAST Offensive Player of the Week (10/9)
                • Led team with seven goals, six assists and 20 points.
                • Three game-winning goals
                Second Team All-New England
                Second Team All-BIG EAST
                BIG EAST Rookie of the Year
                BIG EAST Rookie of the Week (10/24)
                • First Team College Soccer News All-Freshman
                SoccerTimes.com Honorable Mention All-American
                • Led team with 10 goals and eight assists for 28 points.

JAMAICANFOOTBALLERS.COM