X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One more game fi the rookies beg Simoes

Reggae Boyz survive stern test

GORDON WILLIAMS, Contributor

Left: Captain Horace Burrell: I've been trying to do my utmost to get games. Right: René Simoes: Our team is young and has a beautiful future. - file photos
    FRISCO, Texas, USA
    [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]Jamaica's[/color][/color] hard fought 0-0 draw with El Salvador here on Saturday has further convinced technical director René Simoes that the island's local football talent pool is deeper than ever.
    However, the Brazilian is worried that the Reggae Boyz, especially the heavy influence of local-based players who were part of the weekend's friendly, will not get another chance to continue their international maturation before the crucial CONCACAF World Cup semi-final round begins on August 20 against [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]Canada[/color][/color].
    In a spunky and organised, but less than flowing display of football, a largely inexperienced Reggae Boyz line-up held off their more seasoned opponents in pestering Texas heat before a crowd dominated by chanting, drumming and flag-waving Central American fans at the Pizza Hut Park. The effort pleased the technical director, but he wants more opportunities.
    "Our team is young and has a beautiful future here," said a satisfied Simoes after the friendly international.
    " ... But we would like to have one more (before Canada). I would like to see them perform one more game. I am sure one more game and they will perform better."

World football rankings
    There is no immediate word from the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) that the technical director will get his wish soon. A game against Guatemala, originally scheduled for August 6 in the US, was cancelled by the promoters. On Saturday, Simoes said it was unlikely that another international could be scheduled for that same date, but he would be happy if one could be played "maybe the 10th, 12th."
    JFF President Captain Horace Burrell could not offer any lead on the next warm-up game. Instead, he said that Jamaica's slump in world football rankings in recent years was affecting the county's ability to attract quality opponents.
    "I've been trying to do my utmost to get games," Burrell explained on Saturday, " ... but our reputation has been so badly tarnished that it is no longer easy for us to get games."
    Judging by the make-up of Jamaica's 94th ranked team for the El Salvador game, the need for international game exposure appears most pressing as club commitments are likely to prevent the bulk of the overseas-based professionals from being available before the qualifiers. Jittery nerves haunted some of the inexperienced Reggae Boyz early against El Salvador, causing them to lose ball possession too easily.
    El Salvador, ranked 117th, capitalised with a better passing game in midfield and gradually took charge of the first half, attacking steadily through the flanks via fullbacks Alfredo Pacheco and Shawn Martin.

Clear chances
    Cornered early by the oppressive Texas heat, which hovered around 100 degrees and vociferous Salvadorian fans, the Reggae Boyz stood their ground. Yet occasional lapses in marking, left El Salvador with a couple clear chances to score, both from Pacheco's crosses. In the second half, sub Rodolfo Zelaya's diving header went high and Martin missed the target after coming in untracked at the back post.
    Jamaica came close too. Midfielder Ricardo Cousins shot hard against a Salvadorian defender after being set up by forward Omar Cummings in the first half. Captain Andy Williams, who partnered Cummings up front, watched as his clever chip eluded Miguel Montes in El Salvador's goal, but dropped onto the roof of the net. Cummings squandered Jamaica's best chance in the 64th minute when he shot too close to Montes after being sent clear from midfield.

Full-stretched dive
    Jamaica's defence, meanwhile, handled the occasion well and goalkeeper Donovan Ricketts was only forced into a handful of crucial saves. One was a full-stretched dive to divert a dangerous Pacheco cross, another to punch away a swerving free kick coming out of the sun by Christian Castillo. Both efforts came just before the break with the heat's telling effect at its peak.
    The Reggae Boyz came out much better in the second half, pressuring the Salvadorians more as their confidence grew.
    "They played a good second half and caused us a few problems," El Salvador's coach Carlos De Los Cobos said through a translator.
    Cummings was probably his biggest worry. Making his senior team debut, he used his quickness and sharp turns to bother the Salvadorians whenever he had an opportunity in the open.
    "He has beautiful movement," Simoes said of the striker from Colorado Rapids in US Major League Soccer. "Interesting, very interesting player ... For the first time, it is not easy for a player wearing his national colours ... but he did well."
    In the end, so too did the inexperienced Boyz overall. They survived a testing lesson in international football that now demands an immediate follow-up course.
    Gordon Williams is a Jamaican journalist based in the United States.

• Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Simoes impressed with debut striker- RjR

Simoes impressed with debut striker Monday, 28 July 2008 The national senior [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]football[/COLOR][/COLOR] squad arrived home Sunday from Texas following their nil all draw with [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]El [COLOR=blue! important]Salvador[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] in their friendly international on Saturday.

Striker Omar Cummings made his debut for the Reggae Boyz and technical director Rene Simoes was impressed with what he saw.

"It was good ... I think that this guy (is one of the best strikers) we have in terms of movement.

He is a very interesting player ... we have some areas we have to address with him but he shows something interesting when on the field," said Simoes.

[ Back ]

Comment

Working...
    X