Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CONCACAF's Group 2 - ...the quartet are all genuine aspirant

Dangers aplenty for Mexico

When the draw was made for the qualifying competition in the CONCACAF Zone fans in Mexico, Canada, Jamaica and Honduras realised there was every chances their respective teams could end up battling it out in the same group.

A few months later that is exactly how things have turned out, and judging by their performances in Stage 2 of the lengthy qualification process, the quartet are all genuine aspirants for a place in the final six-team group, where the three direct tickets for the 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa™ will be handed out.

The group also represents an interesting clash of styles. Now coached by the Swede Sven Goran Eriksson, Mexico will be banking on the technique and speed of their new generation, headed by the likes of Andres Guardado and Carlos Vela. The explosive power of David Suazo and Julio Cesar Leon should stand Honduras in good stead, while Canada will be basing their game on a tight defence and an effective front line. Last but not least, Jamaica will be bringing their typically physical Caribbean game to the table.

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/prelimi.../analysis.html
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

It should be fun...and when it is all over the REGGAE BOYZ should be in the HEX!
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

The article did not have much to say about Jamaica's chances. Outside of the usual foreign press take on our style of play "physical". Where did we get this reputation of being a "physical" team? I get the impression that these people believe that the only way we can win a match is by bullying our opponent off the pitch. I think we bring more skill than brute force to a football pitch and this "physical" tag was hatched in the North American media.

Comment

Originally posted by Brush View Post
        The article did not have much to say about Jamaica's chances. Outside of the usual foreign press take on our style of play "physical". Where did we get this reputation of being a "physical" team? I get the impression that these people believe that the only way we can win a match is by bullying our opponent off the pitch. I think we bring more skill than brute force to a football pitch and this "physical" tag was hatched in the North American media.
        my take on that physical is - dem jus fraid!

Comment

yeah but is code fi di referee dem....penalties free kicks yelloe cards and ...yes .....penalties.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Brush View Post
            That is because caibbean teams have been looked at as being more physical based on our height compared to central Americans who are infinitely smaller and shorter.

It also doesnt help that we have no real well known players in our squad. I remember Trinidad getting that brand in 2000 when one of their defenders broke Cuahtemoc Blancos legs and he was out for 9 months. I wouldnt worry about what the media says. The results are all that matters.

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
              yeah but is code fi di referee dem....penalties free kicks yelloe cards and ...yes .....penalties.
              Yuh rite!

Comment

Originally posted by Warlord View Post
                That is because caibbean teams have been looked at as being more physical based on our height compared to central Americans who are infinitely smaller and shorter.

It also doesnt help that we have no real well known players in our squad. I remember Trinidad getting that brand in 2000 when one of their defenders broke Cuahtemoc Blancos legs and he was out for 9 months. I wouldnt worry about what the media says. The results are all that matters.
                I always thought the "physical nature" of Jamaicans on a whole came from our ancestors during slavery. More than any other Caribbean nation of whom some were more accepting to their fate as slaves during that period. A few rebellions occurred in other Caribbean islands but failed.

http://www.discoveringbristol.org.uk/timeline_18C.php

So I'm thinking that this "physical nature" of Jamaicans spread from the British to their American cousins then to the rest of the World.

Or again it could be the tribe that our ancestors were kidnapped from in Africa.

Comment

what is the englishman's excuse for "being physical"?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Why you nuh leave Wayne Rooney outa dis?
                    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

The ways of white supremacy

Originally posted by Jamaica2099 View Post
                      I always thought the "physical nature" of Jamaicans on a whole came from our ancestors during slavery. More than any other Caribbean nation of whom some were more accepting to their fate as slaves during that period. A few rebellions occurred in other Caribbean islands but failed.

http://www.discoveringbristol.org.uk/timeline_18C.php

So I'm thinking that this "physical nature" of Jamaicans spread from the British to their American cousins then to the rest of the World.

Or again it could be the tribe that our ancestors were kidnapped from in Africa.
                      Branding black people as being "physical" is popular racial coding by whites to advance their viewpoint that we are relatively less intelligent than caucasians and indeed other racial groups.

Our sports achievements therefore are related to brute force or purely athletic gifts... not smarts.

This branding occurs in all sports by white commentators.

a certain poster on this forum would probably be comfortable with this white supremacist branding.. guess who?
                      TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

I think it might benefit the reggae boyz to be drawn in such a tough group.this will ensure that we enter the qualifiers with the right attitude from game one. no chance of complacency so if or when we reach the final group stage we will be battle hardened and will have a better chance of qualifying for the world cup.

Dunny

Comment

True dat,true dat.

Comment

Have to agree; same label my team got,
                            until a referee wrote the league on our behalf. To quote: "it's now a tired excuse about ..... being physical, the team is playing great soccer etc"

yes we moved on to take the championship that season (mi proud; they never won anything for nine years until I came).

Ja may suffer the same fate in thesense that they want to see penalties to eliminate the Rboyz. Who play physical as the US?

Comment

yuh mean wi won't win anything until you play for us?!!! ..... now that sound extortionate!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X