Less overseas-based Reggae Boyz for Canada game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Less overseas-based Reggae Boyz for Canada game

A former star of two youth World Championships and a couple players from the current Under-20 team will be in Jamaica's national senior football squad to prepare for the next round of World Cup qualifiers.

However, technical director René Simoes has no intention to invite the same massive quota of overseas-based players he called for last month's games against The Bahamas.

Promising midfielder
    The local-based contingent of the Reggae Boyz will reassemble for a camp around August 4 following their involvement in last weekend's 0-0 draw against El Salvador in Texas. This time, according to Simoes, the squad will include Harbour View's Keith Kelly, a 25-year-old midfielder, who showed tremendous promise early in his career, but has been troubled by injuries and sub-par conditioning.

Kelly was a star for Jamaica at the 1999 Under-17 Youth World Championships and signed with French club Paris St Germain after that tournament. The stocky playmaker from Port Royal was later loaned out to Belgian club Mons. Kelly also excelled in the Under-20 YWC in 2001.

He started his club career at Harbour View, but also played for Arnett Gardens in the premier league before returning to the east Kingston side last year. In between, he played for CL Finiancial San Juan Jabloteh in Trinidad, where he broke his leg in November 2005, a major setback to his career.

Kelly, a former Wolmer's schoolboy representative, first played for the senior national team against Costa Rica in a World Cup qualifier in 2001. The last of his 10 senior caps came in February 2005 in a CONCACAFGold Cup qualifier against Barbados.

Still, Kelly impressed Simoes in a recent practice game for Harbour View against the national team prior to its departure for Texas and has earned the Brazilian's approving nod as his search for additional talent to bolster the Boyz continues.

"That's why I am so excited because Keith Kelly is returning with Harbour View," Simoes said while in Texas last weekend.

Asked if Kelly would be part of the next squad, Simoes said: "Definitely, yes. This is a great player. We played against each other. So, next squad Keith Kelly will be with us. I am so excited. When I arrived in Jamaica and met him, he was fat. And I told him: 'Come on man, start work now. You have a place here (in the national programme)'. That's really a very interesting player to see."

Simoes is also excited about a couple prospects in the current Under-20 team, which waltzed through a recent World Cup qualifying tournament in the Cayman Islands.

Local balance
    The team went unbeaten against the hosts, Bermuda and Puerto Rico, scoring nine goals without conceding any. However, the technical director was more cautious about naming those players.

"These under 20 players that are playing now, they have at least two players there that I am very serious about them," he said. "Two players. I will not tell you the names. Again, because you say the name, everybody now say they are Reggae Boyz players and maybe they are not well balanced and the players lose focus. Next camp you will see (them)."

But Simoes was blunt when explaining that the influence of overseas-based players will be significantly trimmed for future qualifiers. The local players will play a greater role in the balance.

"I will move and make local camp with these (local) boys, try to improve them," he said. "Definitely, one thing I tell you, I will not go for 17 overseas-based players. No, I'm not."

On Saturday, he declined to offer a number or percentage of the squad which will be from overseas.

However, Simoes explained that it had become difficult to blend the unit with so many players arriving just prior to a game. With no official word on another warm-up match prior to the Canada fixture, it is likely that the overseas-based players will not be available for the national team more than a few days before August 20.

Simoes was not totally pleased about the approach of some players for the Bahamas fixtures.

He also said that the extended absence of the overseas-based players put them at a disadvantage in grasping the 'model' or philo-sophy for the team he is trying to implement.

"The point is, I don't have them together," he said. "They don't understand clearly your principles. They don't understand clearly what they're supposed to do.

"It is very difficult for them, to be fair with them. It's not a matter that I don't want to do it. It's I can't do it, because the players, they cannot do it. Because they change the way they play, the mentality of coach they have.

"When you play professionally, especially in England, money is the name of the game. Money, money, money, money. When you play for Jamaica, it cannot be. Jamaica is the country on boots, on football boots. It's a different conception."

Despite his intention to cut the number of overseas players in the squad, Simoes does not anticipate making wholesale changes to the core of the team that beat The Bahamas 13-0 on aggregate over two legs played in Jamaica.

"(It's) not totally different team, but the squad will be different," he explained. "The (starting) team, a few touches (changes). One or two."

Money, money
    Meanwhile, Simoes said he is not worried by Jamaica's inclusion in the so-called CONCACAF 'Group of Death', alongside Mexico, Canada and Honduras.

He believes the competition will get his team ready for the final push for a place in World Cup 2010 in South Africa.

"That's good, not bad, because (the countries) who qualify from this group will be well prepared for the next stage," he explained. "So, if you beat a weak group and you qualify, you are not well prepared for the other one. It's good."

Gordon Williams is a Jamaican journalist based in the United States.
    Last edited by Karl; July 30, 2008, 01:57 PM.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Mo step forward and let us hear your unbiased assessment of Keith Kelly.
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

simoes turn "pundit" now...mi watcing this space wid interest.....money money money after all football is a business first? hmmmm

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

After you apologise, I will! When have I given a biased assessment of any player?!?

I'm waiting!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
          After you apologise, I will! When have I given a biased assessment of any player?!?

I'm waiting!
          Jermaine Hue? Some may say yuh assessment is biased some may see it as exuberant.
          "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Simoes is getting into the head (mental aspects) of his charges. By making this statement, he is saying to the England Based guys that there is no place for complacency...while at the same time letting the local boys know that as long as they work hard, there will be a place for them in his squad. When this reaches the players in England, I am sure that a few of them will be sweating on the prospect of being left out...and they will want to show their worth to the team next time they wear the gold shirt....Local boys should be motivated also to give their all in training.

With the situation as it is now whith players needing to get work permits to play in England, I think Simoes can use this to the benefit of the team.

I may be wrong for saying this, but I dont think the likes of Simon ford, Leee Williamson will be recalled for the Canada game and beyond. It looks also as if Nosworthy might never wear the Gold shirt under Simoes.
            President of the FACCAC - Fans Againts Clueless Crenston and Cronies (cronies include Mosiah and Sicko)

Comment

Lazie, mek me and di man war in peace nuh man!

Bricktop vbmenu_register("postmenu_114326", true);
              Reggae 5 Star General

Quote:
              Originally Posted by Mosiah
              Anyway, looks like Keith Kelly has come back with a different attitude. He is doing quite well in the few scrimmages I have seen. Yes, still could take off some weight but is doing his thing nevertheless!

That "rolling eyes" smiley was Bricktop's response to my assessment of Keith Belly...sorry, Keith Kelly on July 10. He is getting better every day and is losing weight. Kelly, that is, not Bricktop! Wally, HVFC's coach, seems to pick on him and a few choice players as he recognises their quality and demands more. KK still has a few issues but he is definitely a renaissance man and we all look forward to him having a great season for HVFC and maybe even Jamaica! Manage's (Courtney) passing hit him hard and might have contributed to his lack of interest and form over the last couple years.

I have heard the league diss him about everything, from the Keith Belly name to things I won't even repeat on this forum. One popular one is how him waste and how him wukliss, because Ronaldinho was him roommate at Paris St. Germain and compare the progression of them both. Ronaldinho was not, in fact, his roommate, but a Nigerian whose name eludes me now. The Nigerian has also gone on to bigger and better things.

Sometimes we need to be more understanding of not just our players, but of each other. Things happen, and not all the time is "fi wi", or "fi dem" fault!

I could not be more pleased to hear this news.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

that is why you fi give Simoes the benefit of the doubt.

Them did say a pure overseas player him a go fa.

Simoes love YOUTHS that he can mold
                • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

uh.. if I had a choice of KK an Reggaeboy I would choose Reggae boy..

Comment

After mi nuh say yuh is biased. Rum bar open this early?
                    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

lol!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Allrightythen!!! All I have to say now is these four words:

Obrienwhite; Seanfraser; Jermainepennant & Nugsynosworthy !!

And since Gordon Williams seems so close to the ears of Simoes, maybe he could whisper those four abovementioned words. Summady gi Gordon a call nuh!
                        "The contribution of forumites and others who visit shouldn’t be discounted, and offending people shouldn’t be the first thing on our minds. Most of us are educated and can do better." Mi bredrin Sass Jan. 29,2011

Comment

Farmah why so many Jamaicans dont rate Sean Fraser.. I spoke to someone who seem to think he is too soft.. As he claim if you rough him up he folds is this true

Comment

I think that most coaches nowadays prefer a two-way linkman. Sean Fraser is excellent going forward and his Brasillian coaches (Zinho et al) have all been impressed with his skills. I know that as a fact as I have been around their training camps several times and have heard the oohs, aahs, joyous exclamations and pretty plattitudes they oooze when Sean is on the ball. At Miami FC they are aware of his defensive limitations and have designed their game patterns to offset his liabilities.

Other coaches it would seem (Simoes, Brown, Whitmore and Downswell) dont give Sean that leeway and actually demand that he plays his part in the team's defensive role. That is the area of his game which is not weak...but very weak. So, if the coach is not willing to overlook his defensive failings for what he brings to the table as an offensive threat,
                            then Dawg nyam him supper! Yet, given what I see he can do on the offensive end, I think it would worth The Prof's effort to bring Sean Fraser into the team on a regular basis.
                            "The contribution of forumites and others who visit shouldn’t be discounted, and offending people shouldn’t be the first thing on our minds. Most of us are educated and can do better." Mi bredrin Sass Jan. 29,2011

Comment

what are you talking about? what "benefit of the doubt"?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                              X