Davis has red card upheld by FA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Davis has red card upheld by FA

Davis has red card upheld by FA<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class=headerTable cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><P class=headtypea>Oct 25 2006
    </TD></TR><TR><TD><P class=headtypea></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2><P class=headtypeb>By Mark Staniforth Daily Post Correspondent</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=400 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=3></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3><P class=headtypea>SHEFFIELD UNITED defender Claude Davis was ruled out of last night's Carling Cup tie against Birmingham City after failing with an appeal to have the red card he received against Everton overturned by the Football Association. <P class=headtypea>Davis was dismissed in Saturday's Barclays Premiership match after bringing down striker Andrew Johnson when he was clear through on goal. <P class=headtypea>Referee Dermot Gallgher awarded Everton a penalty and sent Davis off for a professional foul, preventing a clear goal-scoring opportunity. <P class=headtypea>United, whose manager Neil Warnock said he didn't think the incident was 'anything like a penalty', appealed to the FA on the grounds of wrongful dismissal, but their claim was rejected and Davis, 27, was instructed to serve a one-match ban with immediate effect. <P class=headtypea>Warnock, meanwhile, changed his entire team for last night's tie, which they lost 4-2 at home to Birmingham City. </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    No need to thank me forumites.

RE: Davis has red card upheld by FA

Do I feel absolved? No. Still think it was a penalty, but not a red card offence. On the other hand, I can understand someone seeing it as a red card offence.

One should not expect the FA to overturn any ruling that isn't very clear cut, for fear of seeming to undermine the referees.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I have yet to see the game but if Claude was the last man back and takes out the player on his way to goal then automatic red card without apology. A so it go. If Claude did not foul the player then he should feel hard done. The FA rarely overturns calls so I am not sure how much absolvimation you should be getting. Hehe....absolvimation....me ago patent dat word deh. - T.K.

Comment

I replayed the event several times, and it was neither penalty, nora red card. I agree that the FA would need to see overwhelming evidence to rescind the red card.
        Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

It was definately not even a yellow card event.

Maybe a foul at best. It was obvious he didn't intentionally trip the man. Yes he impeded him but that in my book was not enough to get a card as it was painly accident.

Bad decision by the ref. You often talk bout the Jamaican ref, right now the English ones are no better.
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

T.K. (10/25/2006)Davis has red card upheld by FA<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class=headerTable cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><P class=headtypea>Oct 25 2006
            </TD></TR><TR><TD><P class=headtypea></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2><P class=headtypeb>By Mark Staniforth Daily Post Correspondent</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=400 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=3></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3><P class=headtypea>SHEFFIELD UNITED defender Claude Davis was ruled out of last night's Carling Cup tie against Birmingham City after failing with an appeal to have the red card he received against Everton overturned by the Football Association. <P class=headtypea>Davis was dismissed in Saturday's Barclays Premiership match after bringing down striker Andrew Johnson when he was clear through on goal. <P class=headtypea>Referee Dermot Gallgher awarded Everton a penalty and sent Davis off for a professional foul, preventing a clear goal-scoring opportunity. <P class=headtypea>United, whose manager Neil Warnock said he didn't think the incident was 'anything like a penalty', appealed to the FA on the grounds of wrongful dismissal, but their claim was rejected and Davis, 27, was instructed to serve a one-match ban with immediate effect. <P class=headtypea>Warnock, meanwhile, changed his entire team for last night's tie, which they lost 4-2 at home to Birmingham City. </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
            What did he expect? Right or wrong the ref saw it as a 'penalty and a red card offence'. It was not a matter of the ref making a mistake as far as application of the laws is concerned. It was an "in the opinion of the referee" decision.

I suppose if the player was clearly seen by replays to be 10 feet apart...then although it may be classified as an 'the ref saw' and the following dismissal from play takenon follow through of"in the opinion of the ref" then a 'di ref bline' would come into play and the penalty stands but, the 'red card' overturned.

No body can erase matters of what the ref sees as a "foul". Cannot be done.But, if the evidence or review...electronic review, shows clearly the incident did not occur then the 'red card' could be and should be overturned. Guess the body that reviewed the video evidence 'bline'!Tough on Davis! No foul occured! ...but a suh! :angry:
            "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Despite your definitive remarks, you are wrong! If you don't see Claude tugging at the player's arms, then...

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Hortikal (10/25/2006)I replayed the event several times, and it was neither penalty, nora red card. I agree that the FA would need to see overwhelming evidence to rescind the red card.
                It is a penalty, even though more severe plays have been waved off. The red card, still say it was harsh.
                "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Have you gotten the chance to see the incident yourself yet?
                  Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
                  Che Guevara.

Comment

Be careful your head dont explode with all that spinning and trying to redefine FIFA rules, Claude was the last defender and he and the forward were in the penalty box, contact was made but there was no foul.....all riiighty thennnnnnn
                    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
                    Che Guevara.

Comment

No not yet. I am eager to see it as it seems that everybody seems to have a different view point. A foul....no foul.....a card.....no card.....hilarious. I am dying to see it. - T.K.

Comment

SIGH..what you expect??? You think Karl would see that? Ofcourse not....
                        Che Guevara.

Comment

<DIV>This is a former FIFA ref. Frightening! </DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>Well, eyesight does deteriorate with time, still! </DIV>

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

That has nothing to do with eyesight..trust me on that, the camera zoomed in on the two players locked in battle.
                            Che Guevara.

Comment

<DIV>Den is what? Cause if him cyaan come clean on this, then what can you believe? Do you think that is why him still nuh see dat Maestro is...di man say Euell better! </DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>If a laff tidday! :hehe:</DIV>

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                              X