Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gullit and Lalas -AXED !!

Gullit arrived at LA Galaxy as one of the highest-paid coaches in the MLS
    Los Angeles Galaxy coach Ruud Gullit has resigned and president and general manager Alexi Lalas has been sacked.

Gullit cited personal reasons for leaving while Lalas has been let go as the club, without a win in seven games, initiates "sweeping changes".

Galaxy bought England midfielder David Beckham to the club with a five-year deal worth £130m in July 2007 and have been under intense scrutiny ever since.

Gullit has been replaced on an interim basis by assistant coach Cobi Jones.

With Beckham now fully fit after a series of injuries hampered the start of his career in the United States, Galaxy were supposed to challenge for the MLS Cup title this season.

But they are struggling to make the play-offs after taking only 23 points from 19 games, with Gullit failing to have any real impact on results after admitting difficulties in settling in California.

I would now like to spend some time with my family before considering any other position in football

"In truth, it has proved a lot more difficult than I anticipated for my family to settle in the area and the club has been very supportive and understanding of my decision," said Gullit.

"I would now like to spend some time with my family before considering any other position in football."

Tim Leiweke, president of the AEG Group that owns the Galaxy, said both parties had agreed on mutually-agreeable terms to part company and paid tribute to the Dutchman's contribution.

"Hopefully, he has laid the foundations for future success for the Los Angeles Galaxy," he said.

In the case of Lalas, however, the club chose to dismiss him rather than wait for his contract to expire at the end of the season.

"With Ruud moving on, we believe that this is the right time to make more sweeping changes throughout the organisation," said Leiweke.

"Our commitment continues to be focused on not only winning the MLS Cup this and every season but to build a club capable of competing at the international level.

"This decision is the right one for the organisation, the right one for the players and the right one for our fans."

Gullit took over as Galaxy coach during the close season in November following the departure of Frank Yallop to the San Jose Earthquakes.

The former Holland international brought star credentials with him as the former Newcastle and Feyenoord coach - and one of the world's greatest players in the late 1980's - but he failed to turn around the fortunes of the commercially-driven Galaxy.

It is also thought to have been left frustrated by the limitations imposed by MLS regulations, most notably the salary cap.

Lalas was a highly influential figure at the club, the man who appointed Gullit and oversaw the club's policy of pursuing high-profile names - most notably that of Beckham, who signed for the club from Spanish giants Real Madrid in a landmark move for football in the US.
    Sunday, August 28th, 2011. We will never forget !!

The quality around...rather than surrounding...Beckham?
    Poor!
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Mr Beckham could not save dem.
      “I am not a politician..I only suffer the consequences”.......Peter Tosh

Comment

They need to stop wasting cap space on Ruiz and Xavier and get some young quality pacey players with their salaries.

Comment

Beckham has been great?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Where are all the people who thought Lalas' acquisition of Beckham was the mother of all deals? How Lalas has been floating on Cloud 23 since!

I guess for Beckham, it still is!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

lalas must have had his suitcase packed and his tank fulla gas....

sweet deal for beckham...good pay, IF yuh can get the work!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

bwoy unnu nuh tired fi tell mi mi nuh know what mi talk bout and come back and eat unnu words?

Ah bwoy sometimes you have fi hold to your conviction when you a use the third eye.
                • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Sass, it's not polite to say, I told you so.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I am very sorry, it wasn't meant to be polite
                    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                      Where are all the people who thought Lalas' acquisition of Beckham was the mother of all deals? How Lalas has been floating on Cloud 23 since!

I guess for Beckham, it still is!
                      What position Beckham play? Mek mi keep it real fi unuh. LA has scored the most goals in MLS todate ..38. There people is defense conceeding 40.. more than any other team.

As to Beckham's impact on the MLS .... check the attendance whenever LA play.
                      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

"As to Beckham's impact on the MLS .... check the attendance whenever LA play."

Undisputed no doubt. A guess money impact on the field.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                          "As to Beckham's impact on the MLS .... check the attendance whenever LA play."

Undisputed no doubt. A guess money impact on the field.
                          Hook yuh wid HL one a dese days ... him will teach yuh that football is BIG BUSINESS. Yuh tink a NPL dis?

I already stated that LA has scored more goals than any other team. Time unuh stop being petty.
                          "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Yow Mosiah Link me ASAP.

Comment

It will not be BIG BUSINESS if you can't WIN!

Try membah! And tell HL dat tuh!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                              X