Reception Trini-style (Part 2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reception Trini-style (Part 2)

Previously I posted a news story on the unbelievably poor reception shown when the teams arrived in Trinidad. As we can see from the following story, taken from this morning's Observer newspaper, nothing whatsoever has changed in Trinidad! Now, don't you just love our gracious, kind, sensitive, accommodating Trinidadian hosts?

'The place stinks'
    J'can U-17 Boyz sent to smelly guest house in T'dad
    KARYL WALKER in Trinidad & Tobago
    Tuesday, August 12, 2008

St James, Trinidad - As the 50 Jamaicans who travelled to Trinidad and Tobago to represent their country in the just concluded Caribbean Football Union (CFU) youth tournament await word on when they will be able to return to their homeland and reconnect with their loved ones, the Under-17 Boyz delegation are now faced with accommodation woes.

The team is expected to be removed from the Ambassador Hotel in St James and taken to the Halyconia Inn, a guest house that is situated beside a gully at First Avenue in an area known as Cascade.

Last night when the Observer visited the premises, the stench from the gully was unbearable. The Jamaican representatives, led by head of delegation, Carlton 'Spanner' Dennis, were barred entry to the property and informed that they had to come back this morning to view the living conditions.

Dennis was clearly not satisfied with the move.
    "I was sent here to do a job and my first responsibility is to the members of the team and this is unacceptable. The place stinks. We are not satisfied with this arrangement," Dennis told a representative of the Jamaican High Commission to Trinidad, who had also come to view the guest house.

The Jamaicans were originally informed that they would be housed at a facility where the Haitian team was staying, but were told by representatives of the CFU at the 11th hour that the arrangement had been changed.

"We are not asking to be put up at the Ritz, but we need suitable living conditions. The place is in the middle of nowhere and it is clearly not suitable," Dennis told the Observer.

Yesterday, the mood was pensive in the Boyz camp as the players, all 16 years or younger, wandered about idly and expressed the desire to return home. The boys have been on the road since June 29 and have been idle since the team lost to Trinidad on Friday.

The Cubans, who played in the final on Sunday and won the tournament, have already left the country.

"Why is this happening to us? It is not fair. We want to go home where we are wanted," one player agonised.

"My mother is so worried she called me and asked me if I was all right. I told her yes because I don't want her to fret," another player told the Observer.

The girls' Under-15 delegation was yesterday moved from the University of the West Indies St Augustine Campus and is now housed at a guest house.

At press time there was still no word on when the Jamaicans will be able to return home.

I accept apologies from my fellow Forumites at any time.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
      I accept apologies from my fellow Forumites at any time.
      One of your admirable qualities is that you are above gloating and and constantly saying 'I told you so'. Is wha really do the Trini dem though?

Comment

Originally posted by Rudi View Post
        One of your admirable qualities is that you are above gloating and and constantly saying 'I told you so'. Is wha really do the Trini dem though?
        Just my upbringing.

Can you imagine how many times I could have gloated and said "I told you so"? Unnu nuh waan mi fi remind unnu, because if unnu tink unnu hate me now...

Trinis can't help themselves. They are at the bottom of the Caribbean for a reason.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I want to hear the other side of this. could there be some failure on our side?

Comment

Boxhill is no longer in charge.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

~ouch~

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

well this seems boxhill like.. and Jack dont usually handle Burrell so course... uhmm...

Comment

dem garrison "living condition" dem youth live in JA any better ... .... but they can write up bout trinidad .reception ..

man go way eh

Comment

When Trinis come to Jamaica do we house them in the "garrison living conditions?"

I'm disappointed in that statement from you Naminirt!
                    "The contribution of forumites and others who visit shouldn’t be discounted, and offending people shouldn’t be the first thing on our minds. Most of us are educated and can do better." Mi bredrin Sass Jan. 29,2011

Comment

Originally posted by Naminirt View Post
                      dem garrison "living condition" dem youth live in JA any better ... .... but they can write up bout trinidad .reception ..

man go way eh
                      HMMM Mo it seems you were right. Trini Bway good manners requires that guests be treated with a certain courtesy when they are not on the football field. If you guys are used to better than the "garrison living conditions" which we live in then you shouldnt have any problem acting with the minimum of class. However, you continue to repeat classless behaviour a bit of a contradiction don't you think? Or mabe it isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Farmah View Post
                        When Trinis come to Jamaica do we house them in the "garrison living conditions?"

And even if some of our Young Reggae Boyz came from "garrison living conditions" they have proven themselves enough to represent our country in the national colours.

Comment

Originally posted by Farmah View Post

Why? You expected better. Scratch the surface and everybody reveals themselves sooner or later.

Comment

surprised.......? not me. instead of disagreeing wid slackness that is his response.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

OK Mosiah et. al...here goes.
                              Can't comment on the smell. The hotel is far from being in the 'middle of nowhere". The Ambassador is close to a shopping Mall but this one is only 5-10 mins from downtown POS and is in an 'uptown' residential neighbourhood. I know it is used by many visiting sports teams (mainly football) since it is cheaper than most others.
                              I remember visiting the winning Glenmuir da Costa Champs there several years ago...it's not 5-star by any means...bunk beds and sharing of rooms...didn't see the rest of the facility....
                              Questions to be asked is WHO is responsible for the TICKETING arrangements for the tournament? If the CUBANS who won the tournament are all gone...maybe someone messed up with teh return flights....obviously someone decided the Ambassador was too expensive (Jack?) If so, why should the organisers of the tournament be responsible for footing the bill....don't know BUT before we all jump up and wine..get the facts.
                              If you will pay for my time (small change), I will pass by this evening and check out the real situation...I live close by.

Comment

Working...
                              X