Squad for Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DweetSweet View Post
    Just thinking out loud here. The Canada squad has 13 of the 18 players called coming in from European clubs, so they will also only have two days in Canada before the game. The other 5 players are from MLS, of which 2 are Toronto FC who will play away in NY on the Saturday before the WCQ. What I see here are two competing philosophies for team selection for mid-week WCQs that occur in between club weekend league games. Simoes will go for lower quality local players with a core for overseas pros, but with players that he will have had more training days to prepare. Canada will go for the higher quality players and the 2-3 training sessions before the game to prepare.

The game result could provide an answer to the best way to select and prepare a TEAM (to use Karl's CAPS emphasis) for World Cup qualification games where players will be coming in from different clubs and different playing systems. If you believe a team plays better than a group on individuals, which selection philosophy is best?

And other complication? Jamaica is playing away.

In my humble opinion, given the Jamaica's constraints, the lowest risk of losing is to go with a team that you have had more time to prepare, and that already understand how the manager wants the team to play. The best TEAM is not necessarily made up the best players. At the same time, you cant ignore the individual quality of your opponents, and the fact that they are playing at home.

That said, we will be lucky to end with a win. A scoreless draw is more likely.
    I hear you, but I tell you what give me access to all our foreign based pro's to train for 2 days, a bunch of my friends that I can use as coaches, and you can put any local based JA team against us and I guaranttee we win 8 out of 10 times.

Comment

I just lost all the confidence I had going into this game.

Comment

Originally posted by Nemesis View Post
        I just lost all the confidence I had going into this game.
        I'm in the same boat as you especially considering Marshall's injury. I'm prepared for the worst, but hoping for the best.

Comment

JEEZAS CHRIS'.....?!!!! unnuh neva had no confidence then!!! rhatid bwoy!!!!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Apart from the defense, the team looks good. Burton and Shelton is a solid pairing. Simoes will probably start Andy then bring on Jerry Hue.

Austin and Taylor in the middle should be able to stop most central attacks. The flank is the worry, especially if Pepe or Tyrone get isolated.

Good to see some local youth getting called to the team over "name brand" local players. Alot of players will be motivated after seeing the squad selection.

Comment

True, also Langley, Omar Daley is capable of playing several positions, and has a real strong defensive game too.

Blessed

Comment

Working...
              X