Mosiah, I am getting sick and tired of spooon-feeding you

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mosiah, I am getting sick and tired of spooon-feeding you

Synthetic Field hocky turf is no different from soccer turf. Both require the same cultural practices in upkeep.

Here...let me feed you again~~sigh~~

Today many new and renovated athletic fields are utilizing synthetic turf in lieu of natural turf for field hockey, soccer, lacrosse, football, and intramural fields. This movement is not restricted to professional fields, but is now commonly seen at the high school and town recreation field level.

Why does a synthetic surface need watering?

The issues involved relate to health, safety and field maintenance. These include, but are not limited to:
    • high temperatures (especially at the surface),
    • controlling particulate (i.e. rubber filled fields),
    • sanitation and cleaning, biological control (spit, blood and other bodily fluids),
    • fire control, playability (especially for field hockey) and
    • reduced maintenance.
    The water cannons at Paul Brown Stadium keep down static cling on the rubber infill, cool the field on sunny, hot days and wash off dust from the neighboring concrete factory when necessary. There are guns at the 25-yard lines on both sides of the field and one each in the north and south end zones. Image courtesy: Darian Daily

When will watering take place?

First, if the watering is needed for cooling or playability requirements, the watering will take place shortly before the game and in some cases in between halves. In that case, any system that needs to be set up and taken down will not work. Space and labor for storage of such portable equipment might also be an issue.
    How much time will you have to water?

Second, the watering may need to take place quickly. If it is during halftime, you might have as little as eight minutes. This will eliminate any type of low precipitation rate equipment, such as a traveler.

Look, i better stop...since you are already choking...
    The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Originally posted by HL View Post
    ...playability (especially for field hockey)...
    Thanks!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

...keep on with yuh dandy-shandy....*

*thanks Lazie

HL

Comment

Be puerile about it.

HL, everything you have shared with us has stressed watering these fields for hockey. A hockey field is different than a football one. Hockey fields are water-based and MUST be watered before competition. I don't know of any football turf that has that requirement. I am not disagreeing with you that football turfs are watered from time to time, for the reasons you have given, but the PLAYABILITY of it does not depend on watering!

Read this from Wikipedia and stop the posturing. Despite your American citizenship and my lack of one, you don't know everything!

Artificial turf
        From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

[edit]Field hockey
        For more details on this topic, see field hockey history.
        The introduction of synthetic surfaces has significantly changed the sport of field hockey. Since being introduced in the 1970s, competitions in western countries are now mostly played on artificial surfaces. This has increased the speed of the game considerably, and changed the shape of hockey sticks to allow for different techniques, such as reverse stick trapping and hitting. Due to the cost of synthetic pitch installation, India and Pakistan have lost their once dominant position in international competition.
        Field hockey artificial turf differs from soccer and football artificial turf in the way that it does not try to reproduce a grass 'feel', being made of shorter fibres similar to the ones used on Dunfermline's pitch. This shorter fibre structure allows the improvement in speed brought by earlier artificial turfs to be retained. This development in the game is however problematic for many local communities who often cannot afford to build two artificial pitches: one for field hockey and one for other sports. The FIH and manufacturers are driving research in order to produce new pitches that will be suitable for a variety of sports.
        Pitch categories
        Unfilled: Often called "water-based", the pile is unfilled. The pitches require wetting, hence the name "water-based", often via prolonged showering with pitch-side water cannon prior to their use and occasionally during half-time intervals depending on the prevailing atmospherics. They are favoured by most sports since they offer more protection for players by minimising the abrasive effect created by the sand. These pitches form the majority of the elite level field hockey pitches in use today.
        Sand-dressed: The pile of the carpet is filled to within 5-8 mm of the tips of the fibre with fine sand. The sand cannot be seen. It can be confused with unfilled pitches.
        Sand filled: The pile of the carpet is filled almost to the top with sand. The sand makes the pitch rough and harder. In comparison to water-based pitches or minimal sand-dressed pitches, ball speed across the surface is often noticeably slower.

Feel free to visit http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_turf and get the entire article, lest I be accused of editing the article to make my argument.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

the thing wid dandy shandy is that sometimes people in the middle get CLAWT wid di ball because dem not paying attention...

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

I've made my point.

Next topic!

HL

Comment

i'd say the point was made for you .... well done!!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

We hope you do a much better job with the next topic, whatever it might be.

The only point you made on this topic is you don't know what you are talking about. May I suggest you keep the ignorance to yourself next time. People have actually come to trust much of the information displayed on these fora. We want to keep it that way.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

MOSIAH!!!! Why yuh must stand over your opponent and posture after you've knocked him down???!!!! Bwoy yuh have a mean streak!!!!
                  Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

neutral corner...1 point deduction for mosiah....

Comment

But he keeps trying to get back up!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Mind yuh lose ("lose" and not "loose" for those fourmites whom it applies to) the fight through disqualification. You've got to let the referee do his job and count him out.
                        Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Working...
                        X