Arsenal..preview..not looking good.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arsenal..preview..not looking good.

Rear View Mirror - Arsenal scored 27 goals in the final 15 minutes of Premiership matches last season – more than any other side.

Top scorer last season – Adebayor (24)

Significant Moves
    In – Ramsey (Cardiff), Nasri (Marseille)
    Out – Hleb (Barcelona), Gilberto Silva (Panathinaikos), Flamini (AC Milan), Lehmann (Stuttgart)

Win the title? – 4/1

Fire the Manager! – Arsene Wenger 50/1

Synopsis – After finishing only four points behind champions Manchester United last season and with the youngest team in the league there would appear to be a good case to be made for Arsenal taking that extra couple of steps up the table.

Particularly when you consider that they finished with eleven draws and only took six points from a possible 18 available against Liverpool, Manchester United and Chelsea.

A few draws become wins, or losses to United and Chelsea become draws or wins and the complexion of the top three changes very quickly. However, although Arsenal played some great football last season the gap between Arsenal and the top two was not accurately reflected by the final points differential.

Arsenal only conceded 31 goals last season (an improvement of four on the previous) but nowadays that is too many for a side with title aspirations. Last season United conceded 22, the year before 27, Chelsea’s championship seasons were 22 and 15, and Arsenal unbeaten season was 26.

When the chips were down the Arsenal defense was found wanting and with no changes it is doubtful that we will see an improvement in their league position this season.

In attack the drop off in goals from Adebayor (24) to the next highest highest Fabregas (8) was too great and such an over reliance on one player for goals means leans times when a dip in form hits. Nonetheless Adebayor is a solid bet for at least 15-20 Premiership goals again this season but Arsenal also needs a full season out of Van Persie, and more goals from the wide midfield positions.

They also need solid defensive cover in the centre of midfield. If Wenger can find the right player to team with Fabregas it might pay off not only in goals scored but in the goals against column as well.

Season’s narrative – Will Arsenal finally slip out of the top four or will they again prove the purveyors of gloom wrong once again?

Prediction – 3rd
    Sunday, August 28th, 2011. We will never forget !!

I agree that our defence is suspect..and no moves were made to strengthen that unit. Also, we have been scored on in all but 1 of the preseason games,
    even when beating a team by scoring 10 goals, we allowed 2...if we can beat them by 10,, then my reasoning is that they are not good enuff to score on us.

Comment

So the Champions League match that we won 2-0...we did nto look good!
      In fact, the opponents should ahve scored at least 3!
      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Twan View Post
        I agree that our defence is suspect..and no moves were made to strengthen that unit. Also, we have been scored on in all but 1 of the preseason games,
        even when beating a team by scoring 10 goals, we allowed 2...if we can beat them by 10,, then my reasoning is that they are not good enuff to score on us.
        The name of the game is winning my friend, score more than your opponents and you win the game. it is as simple as that.the only thing that was wrong with Arsenal last season is that they did not score enough goals from midfield.

Comment

Originally posted by Dunny View Post
          The name of the game is winning my friend, score more than your opponents and you win the game. it is as simple as that.the only thing that was wrong with Arsenal last season is that they did not score enough goals from midfield.
          If u believe that then.....more power to u..
          surley scoring more than your opponents is the goal....so too is beating them with clean sheets

the defense was not good enuff last year...we are allowing too many goals...and the GK is suspect..

Comment

Originally posted by Twan View Post
            If u believe that then.....more power to u..
            surley scoring more than your opponents is the goal....so too is beating them with clean sheets

the defense was not good enuff last year...we are allowing too many goals...and the GK is suspect..
            To be honest, i agree with you i am just trying to be positive.I genuinely think the defence will play better this season, Gallas and Toure are world class players Djourou has bags of potential but the player who i think will rise to the occasion is Alex Song. Can play the holding role in midfield or as a centre back. Lets hope he returns fit from the olimpics.

Comment

what about hoyte and di odda frenchman eboue and ...damn mi figget him name......nice overlapping back.....the defence is better than unnuh give it credit for...the problem is depth especially because flamini and gilberto gone...

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Dunny View Post
                To be honest, i agree with you i am just trying to be positive.I genuinely think the defence will play better this season, Gallas and Toure are world class players Djourou has bags of potential but the player who i think will rise to the occasion is Alex Song. Can play the holding role in midfield or as a centre back. Lets hope he returns fit from the olimpics.
                Agree with Song assesment fully...this is his year to make his mark....or else..

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
                  what about hoyte and di odda frenchman eboue and ...damn mi figget him name......nice overlapping back.....the defence is better than unnuh give it credit for...the problem is depth especially because flamini and gilberto gone...
                  Hoyte is going to Midlesborough, the clubs just agree a fee.Sagna,Traore,Clichy,Senderos. we have enough there they just need to work harder.We need 25 goals between Fabregas,Walcott,Eboue.

Comment

the defence is better than unnuh give it credit for....haha grasping for straws gamma.

Those two Flamini and Gilberto might cost you 4 th place !
                    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

1-0 to The Arsenal, Nasri off the mark with a goal and a polished performance, answering the call for more goals from midfield.

Comment

want goal from the forwards too...

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
                          want goal from the forwards too...
                          Adebayor needs to improve is conversion rate, he needs 4 chances to convert 1

Comment

Working...
                          X