• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don1 the Prescient?

March 23rd, 2008, 01:39 PM
    Don1 vbmenu_register("postmenu_90784", true);
    Reggae 5 Star General

RBZ Game Theory- Strategy Redux?
    In building the great 1998 WC qualifying team Simoes had the core of the team based in Jamaica then he plugged the gaps with UB40s - a winning strategy as history demonstrates.
    His teams played well defensively with the entire 11 contributing but the defensive players were mainly Jamaica-based. By playing together constantly the 6-7 players tasked primarily with defensive/containing roles built great understanding among themselves, made the team compact and were the linchpin of a competitive defensive team that was dangerous on the counter -with speed, guile and one on one attacking skills.

Can a similar formula (obviously adjusting for relative differences in the talent pool between 1996 - and 2008) work well in this campaign?
    I think it's possible especially as we seem to have competitive local players. They may not be as finished as some of the foreign-based players but the TEAM may have the GREAT advantage to play them constantly to build a cohesive unit and foundation around which to plug gaps with the foreign based pros (now UB50s).
    No need to wait on FIFA dates to play matches - play clubs and/or B internationals with the local core group - build a vibes - then introduce the UB50s as needed for the bigger games. Was the Brazil tour a harbinger for some version of this strategy?
    This could be a viable or even the optimum strategy regardless of whether or not Simoes primarily employs a defensive strategy in 2008 as he did in 1998 qualifying. A simplistic - select the "best" players and put them together - may not be the winning strategy... game theorists know this well.

In my view the only questions are time and cojones. Do we have enough of both to go through the inevitable pitfalls and develop a winning team when the dance begins?
    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

round of applause youth...well said...nuff people forget the simple but important thing that Simoes did, or maybe them just never see it. I remember in that 98 campaign when Simoes was searching for the talent he needed for the core...he gave Kevin Wilson a run gainst the Norway Club team (that he scored in and never do nothing since then), he had Wholde Harris, Altimon Butler, Paul Young...running up front just searching for that right combination, Chris Dawes played the central defensive midfield and the sweeper position at times...there was alot of experimenting but it all happerned in Jamaica...nuff people forget bout Messam and the robot (Dean Sewell) playing wing back before Bibi...Fabian Davis was playing midfield then he went to wing back before him slap Simoes daughter...and wi done know how the rest go.

Sure him have less time than before but he brought us to the world cup with a jigsaw side...while Montesso fielded our "strongest group of players" available and failed the next go around...there is a definate trend to Simoes coaching style...and don't be surprise if he turns one of these group of players into gems...like how he turned Durant Brown an attacking midfielder into the best sweeper in Jamaican history after Corbet

Comment

Me tell them already that Simoes believe in defense first. Simoes believe in his ability to improve players. Let us see how things work out.

good insight.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
        Me tell them already that Simoes believe in defense first. Simoes believe in his ability to improve players. Let us see how things work out.

good insight.
        Yes, but I'm not feeling very warm and fuzy about our current defensive situation esp. with Marshall being hurt.

Comment

Marshall being hurt might be a blessing in disguise...that will gibe a younger, faster, and possibly a gem a chance to show what him can do....don't be surprised if a midfielder play that role...

Comment

Working...
          X