Lloyd Plummer Memorial begins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lloyd Plummer Memorial begins

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><SPAN class=TopStory>Lloyd Plummer Memorial begins</SPAN>
    <SPAN class=Subheadline></SPAN></TD></TR><TR><TD>Bev Melbourne
    Saturday, August 12, 2006
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    <P class=StoryText align=justify>The Lloyd Plummer Memorial Clarendon Under-17 Football competition opened recently at the West Park Community Centre with eight participating teams and a pledge by sponsor Mike Henry that the competition will honour the memory of a man who dedicated his life to developing sport in the parish.<P class=StoryText align=justify>"National players like Chris Dawes, Alien Whittaker, Winston Griffiths, Omar Daley, Ray Graham, Heron Brown, Ricardo Cousins have made it to that level because of the efforts of this outstanding Jamaican who has touched so many youthful lives in the parish of Clarendon," Henry, an Opposition parliamentarian, told Sporting World.<P class=StoryText align=justify>"His recent passing is a serious blow to the guidance of the youths, as this man did not hesitate to sacrifice himself to assist sports," added Henry.<P class=StoryText align=justify>Plummer was a football coach and lifetime member of the Clarendon Football Association.<P class=StoryText align=justify>He actually started the competition in 1988 to keep youngsters occupied, as there was a series of incidents of young boys drowning during the summer holidays.<P class=StoryText align=justify>Kevin 'Blacka' Morrison, first vice-president of the Clarendon Football Association, who has taken over as the chief administrator of the programme, has vowed to do his best to continue Plummer's work.<P class=StoryText align=justify>"I have been involved with this programme from its inception and today I am a proud product of it," said Morrison. "It is a means of keeping the youths on track, something they need to set a foundation in their early years so that they can build on it and be of some importance to the parish and the nation as well.<P class=StoryText align=justify>"Mike Henry has sponsored this competition to the tune of $150,000 and I have committed myself to administer it each year," Morrison pointed out.<P class=StoryText align=justify>The participating teams are West United, New Bowens, defending champions Original Hazard, Mineral Heights, Ebony Stars, Harlem, New Longsville and Curotee Hill.
    The competition is scheduled to end on August 31.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

RE: Lloyd Plummer Memorial begins

Lloyd Plummer?

There was a Lloyd Plummer at Munro during my time. Lloyd was an outstanding defender on the DaCosta Cup winning 1963 team.Is this above Memorial in memory of that Lloyd Plummer?

That Lloyd was also our shot put expert secured points at Boys Champs. He played on our victorious all-island championship hockey team....and, although he was over six feet tall and two hundred pounds in weight he was a sprinter of some class.

He was also a school prefect. His father was a "sugar baron" in Clarendon.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Working...
    X