• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ssssup Mosiah?..or should I say Mo?

Glory restored: 'Golden Girls' again

Lloyd's extra-time strike secures second-straight gold for U.S. women
    Posted Thursday, August 21, 2008 8:28 AM ET
    BEIJING (AP) -- Outplayed and overwhelmed for most of the night,
    the Americans got the only shot they needed.
    Olympic champions, once again.

.Lloyd scores in 96' of extra time to give U.S. 1-0 win over Brazil.

Carli Lloyd scored in the sixth minute of extra time Thursday night, Hope Solo bailed out her teammates time and again, and the United States beat Brazil 1-0 to win the gold medal in women's soccer for a third time in four Olympics. As the final whistle sounded, the Americans charged across the field, hugging anyone in sight. Someone handed out flags, and several players took off, running.
    "The team is definitely on a high right now, believing we were going to make a statement in the whole tournament," captain Christie Rampone said. "It didn't start like we wanted to, but we just kept digging and getting better each game. It was a full team effort, and it was so special with everyone doing it together."
    The victory was a bit of redemption for the Americans, who went to the World Cup as favorites last fall only to be humbled 4-0 in the semifinals by Brazil.
    And for no one was it sweeter than Solo, who was banished from the World Cup bronze medal game after criticizing then-coach Greg Ryan for not playing her against Brazil even though she'd allowed only two goals in four World Cup starts, and had a shutout streak of nearly 300 minutes going. Several minutes after the game ended, Solo sprinted back out onto the field, a gaudy imitation gold medal around her neck, a phone to her ear and a bright smile on her face. She closed her eyes when the American anthem began playing, and bounced proudly and gripped her medal when the team posed for pictures afterward.
    The victory was the first in a major tournament for coach Pia Sundhage and gave the Americans their third gold medal since women's soccer was added in 1996. The United States' only loss was in the 2000 final to Norway.
    "When I was six years old, I thought I was the only girl in the whole world who played soccer. I wasn't allowed to play because I was a girl," Sundhage said. "Back then, I could never imagine to be a professional player or a professional coach. Now I'm sitting with a great player, Christie Rampone, and looking at her gold medal. I am so proud."
    The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Football is unkind - "Outplayed and overwhelmed for most of the night..."

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

agreed hundred percent...but so it go when you don't make use of your chances...ask Canada and Guatamala

but mi feel it fi the Brazilan dem...especially the sexy one dem

Comment

I got up at 5 am this morning to watch Germany v japan. Quite a scrappy game. The US v. Brazil started at 9 am. Had to to work--so i missed it LIVE.

Just itchin' to get home to watch the replay over a lite-beer.

Life is good!!
        The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Christiana is miles ahead..,and Marta is likely the best...but both failed, the only player that remained impressive was Formica(sp), she is the backbone of Brazil.

Blessed

Comment

formiga...it means "ant"

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Real merican - "Lite Beer" or rather p iss water.
              Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                X