Putting My U12 Side Together

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Putting My U12 Side Together

Hail massive. I'm putting the final touches on my U12 football side for the fall season and I have 2 problems. The first, I have 3 new players who are good but whose parents are being slow with their paperwork. Two of them speak different languages and I can't seem to get them to see how important it is for them to move on this. I want them registered by the end of the week.

The second, bigger problem, is that I have a kid who isn't that athletic. I've been trying him in goal because he's big and tall for 12. He would free up my real goalie to play as a defender where he's also very good. I'd have more options controlling the field if I could get the non-athletic kid up to par to play in goal. I just don't know though if I can put him on my roster. What if he starts letting in soft goals? I won't be able to cut him and I'm sure his parents won't accept him on the bench.

I'm leaning towards not putting the big kid on the team and going out to find a more suitable back up goalie. If I don't find one, I could always call the big kid back, couldn't I? What do you think?

Serious replies only please.

remind me...is this a travelling team or a rec team?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Hail up Matter.. for the first item try to get someone who can relay the information to the parents of getting the documentation done. Thats just communication. As for the gk I really believe my goalie is my most athletic player, gone are the days of taking the kid who is least athletic and push him in net. What I will say is get a kid who wants to be a goalie and love being a goalie. I would also make sure you have a dedicated GK coach and include the gk at all times so he loves the position... dont sweat it an keep up the good work

Comment

It's a travel team. We're in the 4th division but finished just 2 points from being promoted to the 3rd last season.

OJ, my current goalie is athletic and fearless. He likes playing goalie. However, because he's so aggressive, I see where he'd be a great central defender. I wanted to gain the flexibility to use my current goalie in defence but I fear what could happen if/when my defence is breached and my non-athletic kid is back there.

Comment

make it a team thing.....carrot and stick..... if the defence plays well and your offence gives you a lead....integrate the big kid in as goalie to build some self confidence.

i once got my u12 team to score big so that they could give my centre-half a chance to play forward and score.....those kids worked so hard for each other that day...it taught me a lot!

if on the other hand your defence NEEDS strengthening then you really have no choice but to start the big kid.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Working...
          X