• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simoes has no problem with foreign-based players

Simoes has no problem with foreign-based players
    published: Monday | August 25, 2008

Kwesi Mugisa, Staff Reporter

SIMOES
    Rene Simoes, technical director of the Jamaica Football Federation (J.F.F.), has sought to clarify any misconceptions, as it relates to the exclusion of a large number of foreign-based players from the national set-up.

"I think there is a misunderstanding. I do not have a problem with overseas-based players, it is what we work for here, that players will be able to secure contract and eventually play abroad," Simoes told The Gleaner.

"However, there is great difficulty with getting players already abroad to learn our [COLOR=orange! important][COLOR=orange! important]system[/color][/color] when they are here for only three or for days.

"There is not enough time now. When the players we have now secure contracts abroad, it will be easier. All they have to do is remember the system," he added.

Crucial game
    The local contingent of Jamaica's Reggae Boyz return to camp today, as they continue preparing for a crucial World Cup qualifier against Mexico,on September 6th.

The match will be the first home [COLOR=orange! important][COLOR=orange! important]game[/color][/color] for the national team, which earned a creditable result to open the campaign, following a 1-1 draw with [COLOR=orange! important][COLOR=orange! important]Canada[/color][/color] at the BMO field in Canada last Wednesday.

The squad which goes into [COLOR=orange! important][COLOR=orange! important]training[/color][/color] consists of several Under 21 players, a decision similar to one taken by Simoes ahead of the Canada match. The youth players invited are Davion Thorpe (Reno), Andre Darby (Naggo Head), Levaughn Williams (Sporting Central), Keithy Simpson (Cavalier), Andre Campbell (Portmore), Andre Clennon (Waterhouse), Alanzo Adlam (Cavalier) and Romario Campbell of Harbour View.

Goalkeeper Dwayne Kerr, who last played for Jamaica against Trinidad and Tobago in March, has been recalled while Dwayne Holmes of St Georges has earned his first national call-up.

Promising youngsters
    "The youngsters called up for the Canada game did so well that I have no doubts that a number of them will be the ones to mature and [COLOR=orange! important][COLOR=orange! important]carry [COLOR=orange! important]on[/color][/color][/color] the programme," Simoes said.

However, as it relates to a number of overseas-based players not invited to join the squad for the Canada qualifier, the technical director explained that the situation may not be a permanent one.

"As I have stressed, the door is not closed for any player, once they work on some of the things that we require of them," Simoes said. "So there may be overseas-based players that were not invited for the Mexico friendly that could be invited for the Canada game. "Always you have to keep pressure within the national team. If you improve you will have a chance, if you do not do well or what is required you will be kicked out," he added.
    Last edited by Karl; August 26, 2008, 07:39 PM.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
    I do not have a problem with overseas-based players, it is what we work for here, that players will be able to secure contract and eventually play abroad," Simoes told The Gleaner. [/FONT][/SIZE]

"However, there is great difficulty with getting players already abroad to learn our [COLOR=orange! important][COLOR=orange! important]system[/color][/color] when they are here for only three or for days.
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
    "There is not enough time now. When the players we have now secure contracts abroad, it will be easier. All they have to do is remember the system," he added.
    Simoes could not be saying that he is unable to work with players who did not play for him prior to taking up their farin contracts. What if all national coaches take this stand?

Is he implying that players who gained their farin contracts after being coached by another coach (Bora, de Oliviera, CB) are inflexible and not smart enuff to grasp his philosophy in a few days? Is Simoes implying that he needs a 20 year contract before we can see real results?

According to some here, Lazaroni moulded one of the strongest looking Reggae Boyz teams in a couple days and not a one of them had passed thru his hands prior to that WC campaign! Why can't Simoes do that?

What am I missing here?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

My guess he read Don 1 post and found himself an excuse.
      We need to demand that Simoes deal with the UB40 prospects on a individual basis. It is my understanding that the concerns surrounding our defense is it is largely untested, hence we do not know as a fact if it will fail or pass, well similarly we do not know if the injection of an intriguing UB40 player(Nosworthy)will have the consequences implied by Simoes.
      Also, if we have a "style' then it likely is one imposed by Simoes, hence all players are likely capable of adapting. There is no rocket science here, but a feeble attempt to excuse the mind boggling exclusion of...
      Unfair criteria for UB40 players.

Blessed

Blessed

Comment

Simoes probably is the reason for the problem by not including the UB40 players when he was exploring the pool of local players....
        I was told then he was merely examining what we have available, only now to find out he was searching for the team.

Blessed

Comment

He needs to change his concept of thinking cos when we are away from home & under the cosh. It will be the foreign ones are more likely to cope with the pressure.
          “I am not a politician..I only suffer the consequences”.......Peter Tosh

Comment

Working...
          X