X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• He could have been a RBoy... Arsenal beat Everton to sign

Arsenal beat Everton to sign Feyenoord's £12million enforcer De Guzman

By Sportsmail Reporter
    Last updated at 10:35 AM on 28th August 2008Arsenal are set to snap up Feyenoord’s Jonathan de Guzman, with boss Arsene Wenger making a £12million approach for the midfield enforcer.

The Canadian-born 20-year-old has recently been in action for Holland in Beijing after securing Dutch citizenship in January.
    Inevitably, his no-nonsense style has drawn comparisons with Manchester United's Owen Hargreaves.
    Yet de Guzman is very much seen as his own man, and will join Arsenal to link up with fellow Dutchman Robin van Persie, despite interest from Premier League rivals Everton.

De Guzman in Beijing

More...

A Dutch Under 21 international, de Guzman is the younger brother of Canadian international Julian de Guzman, who plies his trade in Spain for Deportivo La Coruna.
    De Guzman recently said: 'My dream clubs are Arsenal and Barcelona. If clubs of that stature are interested in you then you cannot say no.

'I’m certainly open to interest from Arsenal and from what I hear Feyenoord are happy to hear from them as well,' according to The Sun.
    Jonathan de Guzmán

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
    Jonathan de GuzmánPersonal informationFull nameJonathan de GuzmánDate of birthSeptember 12, 1987 (1987-09-12) (age 20)Place of birth Toronto, CanadaHeight1.74 m (5 ft 8+12 in)Playing positionMidfielderClub informationCurrent clubFeyenoordNumber33Youth clubs1999–2005FeyenoordSenior clubs1YearsClubApp (Gls)*2005–Feyenoord83 (18) National team22008–
    2008Netherlands U-21
    Netherlands05 0(2)
    04 0(0)1 Senior club appearances and goals
    counted for the domestic league only.
    2 National team caps and goals correct
    as of 28 August, 2008.
    * Appearances (Goals)
    Jonathan de Guzmán (born September 12, 1987, Toronto, Canada) is a Canadian-born Dutch midfielder playing for Feyenoord of the Eredivisie. He is of Jamaican and Filipino descent and is the younger brother of Julián de Guzmán, who plays for the Canadian national team and Deportivo La Coruña in Spain.
    Contents

[hide]//
    [edit] Career

[edit] Feyenoord

Jonathan joined the Feyenoord Rotterdam youth side at 12. He was not allowed to play for the first team until he turned 18, but on his birthday, he had his debut against SC Heerenveen. Jonathan scored his first professional goal in the 9th minute against Willem II on September 30, 2005. In April, he signed a contract extension with Feyenoord until 2010.

[edit] International career

After much speculation on which country De Guzmán would choose to represent internationally, Jonathan made himself available for selection by the Dutch national team, immediately after receiving his Dutch citizenship in February 2008, having applied for it the previous year. His decision was met with disappointment in Canada, which witnessed a similar situation when top soccer prospect Owen Hargreaves chose to play for the English national team. Controversially, De Guzmán appeared in a nationally televised sports show on Canada a week before this announcement and claimed that he had not made up his mind on his international status, and was focusing on his club career in the Netherlands.[1]
    After failing to make the final cut in a senior call up, De Guzmán made his international debut for the Netherlands U21 squad on March 26, 2008, in a European Championship qualification match against Estonia. He played a significant role, scoring the first and third goal and providing the assist for the second in a 3-0 victory. He was later named in the Netherlands squad for the 2008 Olympics

[edit] References
    1. ^ Goodbye to De Guzmán

[edit] External links

Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Jonathan de Guzmán

THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Well, he's not. Get over it!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Is it a first that you have two brothers representing different countries?
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

boss jamaica was not even on these guys agenda

Comment

mi know but a conference ball you want come throw down wi throat.

Ironic eeeehhhhhh?
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

ok.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

him too good fi we.

Comment

Working...
              X