X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Funeral for Blair today

Funeral for Blair today
    published: Sunday | August 31, 2008

THE FUNERAL service for former Jamaica footballer Corcel Blair takes place this afternoon at the King's Chapel (formerly King's theatre), Windward Road, starting at 2:30 p.m. Interment follows at Dovecot Memorial Park.
    Blair hails from a well-known football family. His brothers Patrick (now deceased), Miguel and Maurice also donned the national colours. He died on August 21 after a long illness, at age 58.

Funeral for Blair today
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Full respect for and to for Corcel!
    Walk good, boss! You brought us much joy as you soldiered on for Vere, Santos and Jamaica!

Never knew he had fallen on hard times.
    Could have sworn that he was among the group 'kicking ball' at the corner of Springfield Blvd and 120th Ave/Francis Lewis Blvd (...or was it 140 Avenue and Springfield Boulevard? - Forgive me a "Shady Pines' moment has come upon me?), Springfield Gardens, Queens, New York in the 90's?
    Last edited by Karl; August 31, 2008, 05:19 PM.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Yes, big respect to di late great ballers like Corcel. As a likkle yute I remember my elder fleshies would sneak me out to watch players like Corcel, Miguel, Granny, Skill, Rennie Phillips, Dennicer, Bob Campbell, Archie Reid, Devon Lewis, Jumpy Harris, Latus McLaren, Neville Oxford, the Bells and other ole times twirl ball.

R.I.P. Corcel.

BTW, Karl memba a ole Georgian dem use to call Nashie (Ignatious Patterson)?
      "The contribution of forumites and others who visit shouldn’t be discounted, and offending people shouldn’t be the first thing on our minds. Most of us are educated and can do better." Mi bredrin Sass Jan. 29,2011

Comment

I remember the name from my days in high school when he played for Jamaica. I remember when I was in hight school going to NPL games on Sunday evenings to watch Santa United play Santos and to see Blair among the other stars from Santos.

RIP my brother.
        "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

The legendary Ben Francis was in attendance and they just showed a little interview with him at the funeral.

I didn't know he was still alive. I never had much respect for the man. I believe it was he who started the buying of players in schoolboy football. Compare the graduates of Vere Tech back in the day to the all-conquering KC side of 1964.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
            The legendary Ben Francis was in attendance and they just showed a little interview with him at the funeral.

I didn't know he was still alive. I never had much respect for the man. I believe it was he who started the buying of players in schoolboy football. Compare the graduates of Vere Tech back in the day to the all-conquering KC side of 1964.
            In all fairness, give the man some credit. No everyone could pass common entrance to go to Munro. People who showed talent in the athletics deserved a chance to do something and earn an education.

I am for giving people the second chance. What they do with that second chance is another matter.
            "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Originally posted by Farmah View Post
              Yes, big respect to di late great ballers like Corcel. As a likkle yute I remember my elder fleshies would sneak me out to watch players like Corcel, Miguel, Granny, Skill, Rennie Phillips, Dennicer, Bob Campbell, Archie Reid, Devon Lewis, Jumpy Harris, Latus McLaren, Neville Oxford, the Bells and other ole times twirl ball.

R.I.P. Corcel.

BTW, Karl memba a ole Georgian dem use to call Nashie (Ignatious Patterson)?

Yup!
              I remember the name. Can't see the face now, though?
              Others during that time Frank Brown, Art & Asher Welsh, Oscar Black, Vester Constantine, "Johnny Cool" Dawkins...

Comment

Working...
              X