A note on the C&WJ vs Western clubs impasse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A note on the C&WJ vs Western clubs impasse

I did not make any comment at all but will just add that Seba United had won several awards from the JFF for administrative competence and that can be confirmed.

Violet kickers had won about two of those awards as well while we were in the A-league.

And I am sure those who are close to Village or know about their operations will tell you they are not a patty shop operation..three of the top executives includes the CEO of Couples Resorts and the finacial directors of two major hotel chains.

Does that sound like patty shop operations to you.

Reno and Wadadah are a different story...Wadadah's administration ha sbeen a joke for years as Gene refuses to klet go of the club that he runs form his car trunk.

Reno has had more turn over in admin than anyother club since Bim Williams left the island, lest we forget, the Burrell led JFFhad to come in twice..once when Bones who was serving a life ban was running the club and another time to intervene in the ownership issue.
    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
    Che Guevara.

RE: A note on the C&WJ vs Western clubs impasse

sickko (8/12/2006)

And I am sure those who are close to Village or know about their operations will tell you they are not a patty shop operation..three of the top executives includes the CEO of Couples Resorts and the finacial directors of two major hotel chains.

Does that sound like patty shop operations to you.
    On Village - I'll say the same thing I said to Westman these guys may be high powered players at their substantive posts but they are failures at Village when life of the club and current level of success is measured.

They will not be the first to be successful at one job and failures at others...and, they certainly will not be the last.

Aside: There are many high powered executives, business owners, workers, etc. beingsuccessful and invaluableon the 'job' while failures at other secondary entities...and, managing their own personal finances!

*I think many make the mistake of looking at the clubs and making a determination of successbased on comparison to other NPL clubs. I subscribe to the thinking that looks at our local situations and compare same to what we would expect when compared to the 'best in the world'.

Some of us limit ourselves by starting from the premise that we are second class andshould remain second class...be judged as being 'less bad'! I cannot accept that.

TOP OF THE WORLD is the aim!

FORWARD!

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Karl you are not in any position to make any comments about the people who run Village as you are not aware of the facts of the situation.

Village has made TWO proposals to the Trelawny PC to take over the Elliston Wakeland Centre and develop it into a decent stadium.

The plans include an additional 4000 seats, upgrading the presentfield and making a second field. Putting in lights for night play, improved drainage, a club house and proper security.

They also have the funding ready but the people they have approached are not willing to put in any money until Village have a lease. This is to guard against them putting up their money only for someone else to walk in later and claim the place.

This is nothing new as not even the CHASE fund here will give you any money to fix any field until you can show security of tenure.

Village who is also the defacto managers of the venue also offered to make the venue available to all the teams that currently use it, at a small fee.

The TPC in their wisdom has said however that the place was given to the community and they cant give it to a private club like Village.

Yet they have no plans or money to fix the run down place.

If you read the last two issues of the Observer West August 2 and 9 you would have seen two stories, one from Village and the other from the TPC's vantage points.

They met again on Thursday and soI am to follow up and find out if any thing came form that meeting.

Village is arguably the youngest team that can be considered among the 'elite' and they have managed to have a set of professionals players including several national players and have been consistent in the top six of the NPL in the last four years.
      Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
      Che Guevara.

Comment

sickko (8/12/2006)Karl you are not in any position to make any comments about the people who run Village as you are not aware of the facts of the situation.

Village has made TWO proposals to the Trelawny PC to take over the Elliston Wakeland Centre and develop it into a decent stadium.

The plans include an additional 4000 seats, upgrading the presentfield and making a second field. Putting in lights for night play, improved drainage, a club house and proper security.

They also have the funding ready but the people they have approached are not willing to put in any money until Village have a lease. This is to guard against them putting up their money only for someone else to walk in later and claim the place.

This is nothing new as not even the CHASE fund here will give you any money to fix any field until you can show security of tenure.

Village who is also the defacto managers of the venue also offered to make the venue available to all the teams that currently use it, at a small fee.

The TPC in their wisdom has said however that the place was given to the community and they cant give it to a private club like Village.

Yet they have no plans or money to fix the run down place.

If you read the last two issues of the Observer West August 2 and 9 you would have seen two stories, one from Village and the other from the TPC's vantage points.

They met again on Thursday and soI am to follow up and find out if any thing came form that meeting.

Village is arguably the youngest team that can be considered among the 'elite' and they have managed to have a set of professionals players including several national players and have been consistent in the top six of the NPL in the last four years.
        Siccko: I speak from the base of seeing Village enter its umpteen year of existence and its yearly fight with those who have control ofwhat happens to theElleston Wakeland Centre.

The leaders have been presenting plans for many decades. The leaders have made no headway. Once more you are telling us they are presenting plans. The fact is the leaders have no control and or ownership interest in the facility.

Unless there has been a legally binding contract that gives the authority these leaders and the entity theysay they are managers of wouldhave to leave any permanent structure and or structures they have attached to that piece of real estate.

If the spending of, I have been told, multi-millions of dollars to enrich the owners of the property and to acrue 'pennies' is good business then...yeah the managers ofVillage have done a fantastic job?

Question: How long a lease would make possiblea financially viable enterprise?

One year? Two years? Five years? Ten years? Twenty years? @ what cost?

BTW - Exactly how much money has Village invested in the Elleston Wakeland Centre?

What exactly is the value of real estateVillage owns?

OK! Let us say there was benefit...financial benefit to occupyingthe Elleston Wakeland Centre over the years. What then has caused it to be claimed that Village has always been operating at a loss...a money losing entity?

BTW - What if those in control of the Elleston Wakeland Centre informs Village that there is planned alternative use for the Elleston Wakeland Centre...and, gives Village marching orders/does not allow Village...says to Village from henceforth the Elleston Wakeland Centre cannot be used...is not open to you for use as a football field?

After thinking on the possibility...what value to Village would you place on Village'sinvestment over the last several decades?

Sure tomorrow Village could be given the property? ...but, decades of fighting for it and no alternative plans put into action? Good managers?

Is there never to be plans,if the unthinkable happens and Village no longer has the use ofthe Elleston Wakeland Centre, for the c
        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Elliston Wakeland is the name of the venue Karl, not Elleston and I will try and answer your rambling post with an article that was published two weeks ago.

I cant make head or tail of what you are trying to say but will say this that the Village management has been looking into aquiring their own lands but cant find any suitable in the Falmouth area and have pondered taking the team from Trelawny, but only as a last resort.

The only reason tyey are still there is because they feel some sort of obligation to the parish.
          Che Guevara.

Comment

Maybe this will help you Karl and give you a better insight on what has been going on at Village...<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><SPAN class=TopStory>Frustrated!</SPAN>
            <SPAN class=Subheadline>Village United boss says lease issue could drive club out of Falmouth</SPAN></TD></TR><TR><TD>PAUL A REID, Observer West Writer
            Thursday, August 03, 2006
            </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
            <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width=364 align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD><SPAN class=Description>The field at Elliston has come in for serious criticism over the last few years as it has become hard and uneven.</SPAN></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><P class=StoryText align=justify>FALMOUTH, Trelawny
            Frustration from their failure to get a long-term lease for Elliston Wakeland Centre could eventually drive Wray &amp; Nephew National Premier League (NPL) club Village United from Falmouth.
            <P class=StoryText align=justify>The two-time NPL semi-finalists have been thwarted in their efforts to secure a 25-year lease as the Trelawny Parish Council, which effectively owns the property, has failed to respond favourably to a proposal made last year.<P class=StoryText align=justify>Steve Bennett, president of the club, told Observer West this week they had made the proposal last December but it was turned down without explanation. He said the club was still awaiting an answer to a subsequent proposal.<P class=StoryText align=justify>The club's desire to acquire the lease is based on the need for security of tenure, rather than exclusive occupancy, according to Bennett.<P class=StoryText align=justify>"I can't go to a company seeking any long-term advertising or sponsorship deal if they can't be sure that I will be there for a long time," he said.<P class=StoryText align=justify>He said Village would renovate the facility and ensure that the community had access to it if it got the lease.<P class=StoryText align=justify>"It would be strictly managed by Village United's executive and access would be given at appropriate fees to all daCosta Cup and other club teams and other sporting interests," he said.<P class=StoryText align=justify>Bennett, a hotel executive, said the committee that was set up to run the facility has been defunct for a number of years and the club were the defacto managers right now.<P class=StoryText align=justify>He said the Village top brass, including himself, Couples Resorts Chief Executive Officer, Glen Lawrence and Dane Thomas of SuperClub Resorts had formulated an ambitious multi-million-dollar proposal for the renovation of the centre.
            The proposal included the resurfacing of the main playing area; the setting up of a second field to be used for training and schoolboy and local club games; increasing the seating to 6,000; putting in seating between both fields; construction of a club house, security fencing, putting in flood lights for night games and improving the drainage.<P class=StoryText align=justify>The field at Elliston has come in for serious criticism over the last few years as it has become hard and uneven.<P class=StoryText align=justify>"To take the club to another level, you have to invest some money," he said. He pointed out that the club's executive had "the network to source the necessary financing" and had approached several persons who were willing to get involved but who would not open their cheque books unless the club had security of tenure.<P class=StoryText align=justify>Bennett said they had "seriously contemplated moving the club", adding that it would be a last resort. "The fact of the matter is that we can't continue forever in the present situation," he said.<P class=StoryText align=justify>In the meanwhile, they have been looking around for a place for their own as it was their intention to stay and invest in the community
            Che Guevara.

Comment

sickko how does one access the western observer? also looking a contact for Reno Youth program..

Comment

sickko (8/13/2006)Elliston Wakeland is the name of the venue Karl, not Elleston and I will try and answer your rambling post with an article that was published two weeks ago.

I cant make head or tail of what you are trying to say but will say this that the Village management has been looking into aquiring their own lands but cant find any suitable in the Falmouth area and have pondered taking the team from Trelawny, but only as a last resort.

The only reason tyey are still there is because they feel some sort of obligation to the parish.
                Elliston Wakeland, eh? I yield to you. I had been hearing all along that it was named after a JLP MP (I know he was an MP during my early years of interest in politics.If memory serves me right he was around during the yearsof Maxie Creary....and, I had always thoughtr Mr. Wakeland's first name was Elleston.)

Well the idea of taking the matter to the "community" would require a vote...right??? Do you think any well thinking person would give the property to a club without riders/conditions to pull the plug? ...and, if there are going to be riders to pull the plug, might it not be in the best long term interest of the club to own their field?

Siccko I am merely a bone-head lookingfrom the outside...any look at anything from the outside...by anyone, including you, condemns us to not knowing all the facts.Yet we all must form conclusionson those limited facts as we know them. Both Westman and yourself make it appear you are not in the same boat...but, using your facts to conclusions other than mine. Makes sense?

You guys need to stick to disagreeing and statethe reasons why you are disagreeing and cut the bull about anyoneexpressing an opinion on "limited" facts. That as outsiders we reach our conclusions on limited facts - is fact! State your opnions and give 'the why'?

I have clearly stated mine. They are

1. Village has been trying to receive control of the complex from God knows when. It has not occurred!

2. This current attempt is likely to not succeed before this current NPL season.

3. I think it is unlikely to succeed. The land belongs to all the people...it could create future conflicts and orinconveniencesif a T&amp;F club, Netball club, or other community entity demanded use onterms agreed with Village...which therefore means Village cannot receive the property under conditions ideal to a football club.

4.It follows Village would be best served to acquire and thus control their own grounds/complex!

I have repeated the above in most of my posts using different sentence contructions toconvey same.

Where is the reasoning on your disagreement(s) outside of the weak I do not know all the facts? You also I am reasonable sure do not know all the facts!Mek wi reason ondi difference innah thinking boss or jus nuh badda wid hit.

Comment

[quote]sickko (8/13/2006)Maybe this will help you Karl and give you a better insight on what has been going on at Village...<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><SPAN class=TopStory>Frustrated!</SPAN>
                  <SPAN class=Subheadline>Village United boss says lease issue could drive club out of Falmouth</SPAN></TD></TR><TR><TD>PAUL A REID, Observer West Writer
                  Thursday, August 03, 2006
                  </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
                  <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width=364 align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD><SPAN class=Description>The field at Elliston has come in for serious criticism over the last few years as it has become hard and uneven.</SPAN></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><P class=StoryText align=justify>FALMOUTH, Trelawny
                  Frustration from their failure to get a long-term lease for Elliston Wakeland Centre could eventually drive Wray &amp; Nephew National Premier League (NPL) club Village United from Falmouth.
                  <P class=StoryText align=justify>The two-time NPL semi-finalists have been thwarted in their efforts to secure a 25-year lease as the Trelawny Parish Council, which effectively owns the property, has failed to respond favourably to a proposal made last year.<P class=StoryText align=justify>Steve Bennett, president of the club, told Observer West this week they had made the proposal last December but it was turned down without explanation. He said the club was still awaiting an answer to a subsequent proposal.<P class=StoryText align=justify>The club's desire to acquire the lease is based on the need for security of tenure, rather than exclusive occupancy, according to Bennett.<P class=StoryText align=justify>"I can't go to a company seeking any long-term advertising or sponsorship deal if they can't be sure that I will be there for a long time," he said.<P class=StoryText align=justify>He said Village would renovate the facility and ensure that the community had access to it if it got the lease.<P class=StoryText align=justify>"It would be strictly managed by Village United's executive and access would be given at appropriate fees to all daCosta Cup and other club teams and other sporting interests," he said.<P class=StoryText align=justify>Bennett, a hotel executive, said the committee that was set up to run the facility has been defunct for a number of years and the club were the defacto managers right now.<P class=StoryText align=justify>He said the Village top brass, including himself, Couples Resorts Chief Executive Officer, Glen Lawrence and Dane Thomas of SuperClub Resorts had formulated an ambitious multi-million-dollar proposal for the renovation of the centre.
                  The proposal included the resurfacing of the main playing area; the setting up of a second field to be used for training and schoolboy and local club games; increasing the seating to 6,000; putting in seating between both fields; construction of a club house, security fencing, putting in flood lights for night games and improving the drainage.
                  <P class=StoryText align=justify>The field at Elliston has come in for serious criticism over the last few years as it has become hard and uneven.<P class=StoryText align=justify>"To take the club to another level, you have to invest some money," he said. He pointed out that the club's executive had "the network to source the necessary financing" and had approached several persons who were willing to get involved but who would not open their cheque books unless the club had security of tenure.<P class=StoryText align=justify>Bennett said they had "seriously contemplated moving the club", adding that it would be a last resort. "The fact of the matter is that we can't continue forever in the present situation," he said.<P class=StoryText align=justify>In the meanwhi

Comment

Me and Westman disagree about what, when? That is news to me but I really have no time to get into this soliloquay today Karl, really waaay too long for me on a Sunday afternoon when the beach is beckoning to me with very seductive fingers.
                    Che Guevara.

Comment

sickko (8/13/2006)Me and Westman disagree about what, when? That is news to me but I really have no time to get into this soliloquay today Karl, really waaay too long for me on a Sunday afternoon when the beach is beckoning to me with very seductive fingers.
                      You both disagreed with me on the competence of the managers of Village.

...but, trus mi di beach wudda duh hit fi mi haul-suh!

Enjoy!

...and, I hit the beaches in Negril on the 24th of this month.

Comment

On a Thursday the Western Observer's stories are listed on the left side in 'Western Stories' and then loaded on the e-paper the day after.

If you go there now you will see last Thursday's stories.

Give you a heads up if you register for the e-paper now you will get it free when they make it pay per view come September when they will start charging to read the paper online.
                        Che Guevara.

Comment

Working...
                        X