X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boyz get ready for Honduras

Boyz waste little time in getting ready for Honduras

San Pedro Sula, Honduras

The Reggae Boyz went someway last night in lifting themselves up for Wednesday’s World Cup qualifier against Honduras here on Wednesday when they held a spirited training session at the Francisco Marazon Stadium, site of the 1996 clash between the two teams. Training Time was 7:30.

Sitting at the bottom of their four-team group B CONCACAF semi-final round qualifiers with one point but with an inferior goal difference to Canada – also on one point – are in need of at least a point to retain their chances of finishing in the top two of the group. Mexico lead the group with six points from two games following their 3-0 defeat of the Reggae Boyz after stopping Honduras in their first game. Honduras are second after recording an away win over Canada on Sunday last.

Cognisant of their position, the Boyz wasted little time in getting back to business. After a two-hour flight from Mexico and a one hour wait at the airport clearing immigration and customs, they had lunch after a 20-minute drive to the hotel and rested for a few hours before heading off to training.

Training was conducted in two groups. For the players who played the entire 90 minutes against Mexico on Sunday, with the exception of goalkeeper Donovan Ricketts, central defensive rock Ian Goodison and captain Ricardo Gardner, a pool session supervised by Physical Trainer Sean Samuels was the order of the evening.

The others headed to the Francisco Mozaron Stadium where they were under the guidance of Assistant coaches Alfredo Montesso, Theodore Whitmore and Francisco Oliveira. Goalkepers Ricketts and Shawn Sawyers were put through their paces by Oliveira while the outfield players went through drills which emphasized keeping possession and maintaining composure under pressure in tight spaces.

That was followed by a half field attacking drill with the attack starting in defense, working through the midfield with the flank midfielders sending in some teasing crosses which were finished off by the forwards or the midfielders as the team swept forward in unison while maintaining its shape. The players showed no signs of tiredness as they went about their duties eagerly. Luton Shelton looked fired up and clinical in this drill while Jermaine Hue was the epitome of composure.

Goodison who was on the receiving end of a savage tackle from Mexico captain Rafael Marquez sat out the training session while being attended to by Masseur Juan Pablo Camargo and Physiotherapist Jair Lyons. Captain Ricardo, also nursing an injury, received treatment on the sidelines as well.

A full training session is scheduled for today at match time 7:30 (8:30 Jamaica time) at the same venue.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Mo wha dis?
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Could the soccer experts explain to me why the tackle on Pepe was not a red-card?

Comment

The ref also called some good tackles our player made fowl and gave Austin a yellow for making a very good tackle.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Rudi View Post
          Could the soccer experts explain to me why the tackle on Pepe was not a red-card?
          Home field advantage.

Comment

Working...
          X