Whitmore could be confirmed today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whitmore could be confirmed today

No news is goods news. That’s what Theodore Whitmore must be thinking as the week commences when a new coach of the Reggae Boyz will be named to replace Rene Simoes.

Based on the uttering of a very reliable source within the JFF, Whitmore should be the named pulled from the hat. “It’s not likely that a new coach from outside will be chosen,” said the source. “That person would not know the players and we would be starting from square one all over again.”

He said that no name has been confirmed, but a meeting of the Jamaica Football Federation has been convened for today to look at possibilities and to make decision about the near future. When Whitmore’s name was mentioned, he was non-committal. However, he did not shy away from the topic.

When told that Whitmore might not be willing to call players like Marlon King, the source was not perturbed. “I don’t think there will be any problem there,” he said. “All the selections were discussed by the staff, but the final word rested with Simoes. I don’t think that this would be the case.” King, one of the seasoned professionals left out of Simoes’ squad for no apparent reason, is said to have slighted Whitmore in the first game of the current World Cup campaign against the Bahamas at the National Stadium. Although he scored in the game, the Hull City striker was forced to sit on the bench for the duration of the second game played at the Trelawny Multi-purpose Stadium.

Whitmore had a successful stint coaching Seba United at the start 2007/2008 Premier League campaign and has accumulated considerable experience with Jamaica. He was named interm coach on the firing of Bora Milutinovic last December, sharing coaching duties with veteran Bradley Stewart until Simoes took regained the helm in January. He was also on the bench for the eight months that Simoes worked with the team. Whitmore was an integral part of Jamaica’s team which qualified for the World Cup finals in France 1998. He scored Jamaica's two goals against Japan in the country's lone but historic victory at the tournament.

The new coach will be responsible for guiding Jamaica through three remaining home games in the World Cup qualifiers as well as the Digicel Caribbean Cup to be hosted by Jamaica in December. Should Jamaica qualify, the coach would then manage the Boyz in the CONCACAF Gold Cup which comes up next year.
    Sunday, August 28th, 2011. We will never forget !!

I would choose Donovan Duckie over Tappa.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

If you are SERIOUS, why ?

Comment

that is a good option I wanted to mention but will all the fuss it just went by.

Duckie is yet to be a loser. Good eye sah.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

I have seen the two of them in action and Duckie looks like he can do it. Tappa is still too quiet for the job in my opinion. Plus, Duckie has some good ratings out there from some players.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
            I have seen the two of them in action and Duckie looks like he can do it. Tappa is still too quiet for the job in my opinion. Plus, Duckie has some good ratings out there from some players.
            What about respect from the "overseas" players ? this seems to be the downfall of Wendell when he was coach..and CB too.

Comment

Originally posted by Twan View Post
              What about respect from the "overseas" players ? this seems to be the downfall of Wendell when he was coach..and CB too.
              True for Wendell, I believe CB had the respect of the players including the overseas ones.

Comment

Hey, the youth Duckie is a good youth. I had the pleasure of chatting with him three years ago and I was quite impressed with him. I wonder if he is ready for such a big stage right now though?
                "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

I think you will gain respect if you come off as knowing the job. I think you can lose respect if you come across as not knowing the job, or unable to demonstrate it.

Not because someone was a good or great player means that I would respect him as a coach, or even as a person.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Duckie talks a good game...I have seen him in action a few times and he is full of 'coach speak' spewing cliches and technical jargon and it is abvious half the time the players on the field have no clue what he is saying, it is like a Greek speaker talking to a jamaican team.

Portmore soon find out...
                    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
                    Che Guevara.

Comment

I must agree, he talks a good game. I heard him and Colour carring on some technical and tactical discussions when they here at the USSF D license course. If they could only apply what they speak in actual game situation, they would be great. I was giving them the benefit of the doubt however.

I am not sure Duckie is ready for this big stage as yet. I think CB, Boyous or Tappa in that order if they are considering a local.
                      "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

How can you agree when you have not seen him in action coaching or in a game situation?!? Don't follow Sickko, y'knuh!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Trust the Captain to make the right decision.

He is the man to get us out of this mess.

A nice surprise is in store. Just wait and see.

Comment

You are right, but still all I can say is that he talks a good game. I

Comment

You are right, but still all I can say is that he talks a good game. I hope

Comment

Working...
                              X