Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Riquelme - one of a dying breed

Riquelme - one of a dying breed

One of the great strengths of football is that it can be interpreted in many different ways, but I love watching a player who does his part to keep alive two unfashionable concepts in modern football.

One is change of rhythm, the idea that the game can be slowed down before the application of the killer pass. The other is surprise - the ball that no one was expecting, that wrong foots the entire defence.

Riquelme seeks to pass his way through the opposition whereas so many these days are more concerned with forcing their way through. His type is an endangered species. Something special will be lost from football if they die out altogether.

(continue)
    "Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
    - Xavi

sigh

Maestro-type football is indeed dying.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Zeppo View Post
      Riquelme - one of a dying breed

One of the great strengths of football is that it can be interpreted in many different ways, but I love watching a player who does his part to keep alive two unfashionable concepts in modern football.

One is change of rhythm, the idea that the game can be slowed down before the application of the killer pass. The other is surprise - the ball that no one was expecting, that wrong foots the entire defence.

Riquelme seeks to pass his way through the opposition whereas so many these days are more concerned with forcing their way through. His type is an endangered species. Something special will be lost from football if they die out altogether.

(continue)
      this is why I disagree with the non selection of Hue. We have become so one-dimensional.

Comment

He played another stunning game yesterday. We talk about his speed - how many of us have seen the speed at which he dribbles?

Don't send him down the wing with a long ball, though!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Good article Zeps.

I still shake my head when I realize that all of these coaches still continue to overlook Hue. One thing I have to say, they do so at their own peril. If I were coach, I would not have invited Campbell-Ryce and leave out Hue. You wonder what is Tappa thinking.
          "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

I CANNOT see how Hue's name can even be mentioned alongside Riquelme's?? Chalk and cheese, apples and pears, mango and banana, diamond and glass? Take your pick!

Comment

Den nevah hear bout Rivaldo, si one ballah deh, wicked like death.

Comment

Boca president privileged to have Riquelme at the club

Boca Juniors president Pedro Pompilio said it was a privilege to have Juan Roman Riquelme at the club after the enigmatic Argentina international was publicly criticised by a team mate.

“Riquelme is an extraordinary player to have,” Pompilio told reporters on Wednesday.

“It’s a privilege to have him… I would not think twice about signing him again.”

On Tuesday, Boca defender Julio Cesar Caceres said Riquelme appeared to have more motivation when he played for his country and seemed to be mentally saturated.

(continue)
                "Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
                - Xavi

Comment

Working...
                X