'I selected the best players'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'I selected the best players'

Reggae Boyz coach, Theodore Whitmore, said player selection and a burning desire to win on the part of the players made all the difference in Saturday's crucial World Cup qualifying match against Mexico at the National Stadium, which they won 1-0, on a 16th minute strike by Ricardo Fuller.

Speaking at a press conference shortly after the encounter, Whitmore, the interim coach until former England international John Barnes takes over on November 1, said he chose the best available Jamaican players and players he knew could deliver.

"As any coach would do, I selected the best players to represent the country. That was my main objective," he said.

Whitmore replaced René Simoes, whose second tenure as technical director and head coach ended abruptly last month when he was fired.

Selecting players
    Whitmore called up 10 players who were ignored by Simoes for the first leg Mexico and Honduras games, for Saturday night's clash.
    Jamaica had lost the matches 3-0 against Mexico and 2-0 to Honduras, while they drew 1-1 with Canada.

"Another thing, I selected players to win games for me and fortunately we got the goal and as they say, the rest is history," he added.

Whitmore, who was Simoes' assistant, also said that studying the Mexican's style of play and getting a winning result at almost any cost, were prime ingredients for the team's performance.

Planning attacks
    "We analysed how the Mexicans played, tightened the midfield and made our attacks primarily on the outside. In addition, heading into the match, it wasn't a matter of how we played, it was about the result and that is what we achieved," noted Whitmore.

"There are areas which we could do better in. But we have another game coming on Wednesday against the Hondurans and have a lot of work to do," he stated.

He also noted that with several players ruled out for the Honduras game due to an accumulation of yellow cards, changes will be made.

For Saturday's match, Whitmore included 16 overseas-based players in his 18-man match squad with only goalkeepers, Donovan Ricketts (Village United) and Shawn Sawyers (Portmore United) attached to local clubs.

Meanwhile, Mexico's coach, Sven Goran Eriksson, who was in charge of his first away game with the Central Americans, said Jamaica were good tactically and played to their strengths.

"I thought the Jamaicans played very well. I think the unit is a strong one. They are physically very, very strong, they are good at set pieces, they were always dangerous at corners, free kicks, good on crosses and at the end of the game they did a lot of good contact exercise as well.
    "It is a little bit our fault. We should have moved the ball quicker, that is the only way to beat them, as we did at home in Mexico. That's why they beat us," he explained.

Atop standings Victory lifted the Reggae Boyz to four points, while Honduras and Mexico are tied atop the standings on nine each. Canada are last with one point. The teams have two matches remaining and only two will advance to the six-nation CONCACAF Finals, from which three will automatically qualify for the 2010 Finals in South Africa, and the fourth place team will play-off with the fifth place country from South America to decide its berth.

http://www.jamaica-gleaner.com/glean...s/sports1.html
    Last edited by Karl; October 13, 2008, 10:02 AM.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Hmmmm....'Ah throw word 'pon Mr Simoes ?
    “I am not a politician..I only suffer the consequences”.......Peter Tosh

Comment

.. but it mek sense. Every other team using their best player in an attempt to qualify, we experimenting with NPL ballers?

When yuh realise that a Marlon King is injuried, one really affi wonder if teams nuh worried.
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

We analysed how the Mexicans played, tightened the midfield and made our attacks primarily on the outside.
        Who else on this board has been championing this style of play? Seems like Whitmore a di ongly one wit sense inna Jamaica cause god knows Mosiah nuh have none

Comment

Our play did look Jamaican , is that a Barnes Influence or Tappa ? any way its good to see our players playing to our strengths ,a pity thier isnt a Big man to put those crosses in from the wingers.

Most of the balls played in from the wing , in fact forwards were wasted , playing Shelton up front with Fuller as the attacking midfield was a master stroke, the pace up front caused them trouble , even with our poor 1st touch and our tendency to over dribble, but hey its our 1st out and we won.Things can only get better.
          THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Originally posted by X View Post
            a pity thier isnt ONANDI LOWE to put those crosses in from the wingers.
            Fixed it for you

Comment

Thank yuh sah.
              THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

There was nothing coming from our left side of the midfield. No crosses from the left, nada. I was also a little disappointed with the spectator turnout. The stadium should have been full.
                Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

That is why man like Hue nuh have nuh place in him team. You think Tappa never realize when man like HUe and Andy play on the team we have problems containing teams who do those quick combination passes in the middle.

That is how Jamaica must play as long as we have dynamic players on the flanks like JJ, Demar, Daley, JCR, Bibi, Reid and so on.

Comment

Originally posted by Jangle View Post
                    There was nothing coming from our left side of the midfield. No crosses from the left, nada. I was also a little disappointed with the spectator turnout. The stadium should have been full.

I was wondering what happened to Demar Phillips. He seemed subdued at LB. Did not even venture forward more than once ! and then instead of continuing the play he retreated as soon as he squared the ball.

Maybe under strict orders from the Coach.

Comment

Is this the tactic for all teams we play? Tek time and ansa.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Oh! Ah si!

I guess Tappa would not have made Tappa's team eedah!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Tappa in his prime would probably make the team because he is the king of possession football. Him nuh lose the ball when it touch his foot.

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                            Oh! Ah si!

I guess Tappa would not have made Tappa's team eedah!

That point needs examination

There was nobody like Tappa in Jamaica's team in the match against Mexico.

Tappa definitely would not flourish in a packed (defensive) mid-field with predominantly wing attacks.

Maybe he would have played himself as the withdrawn striker.

Comment

Tappa would probably fit. In our last game to qualify for 98 Tappa Whitmore dropped deep and put on a possession display. Cargill and Fitzroy were doing lots of dirty work, but Tappa would always be in front of his marker and on the offensive end he made sure we kept the ball.

Comment

Working...
                              X