• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Johnny' Barnes praises spirit and fight of Boyz

'Johnny' Barnes praises spirit and fight of Boyz
    DANIA BOGLE, Observer staff reporter
    bogled@jamaicaobserver.com
    Monday, October 13, 2008

Reggae Boyz head coach designate, John Barnes (left) consults with interim head coach Theodore Whitmore at the Digicel Premier League game between Meadhaven and Portmore United at the Constant Spring playing field yesterday. Portmore won 1-0. (Photo: Garfield Robinson)

NEW Jamaica national senior team coach John Barnes said the team's performance in the 1-0 win over Mexico in the 2010 World Cup qualifier on Saturday at the National Stadium was demonstrative of the spirit and fight the Reggae Boyz have been accused of lacking in the past.

Barnes, who arrived in the island on Thursday as an observer in the games against Mexico and Honduras before taking up his post on November 1 in time for the qualifier against Canada at home some two-and-half weeks later, said he felt relief at the end.

"(Because) they were playing against one of the top teams in the world and they were putting up a good fight and working hard and had discipline and commitment and desire and all the qualities I suppose people would say Jamaican football has lacked in the past," he told the Observer during a post-match interview yesterday.

The Jamaicans, with one point from three of their games up to that point and needing a victory to keep even a sliver of hope of qualifying for the next stage of qualifying for the 2010 FIFA World Cup in South Africa, did just that thanks to Ricardo Fuller's 14th strike which gave the Reggae Boyz the 1-0 victory over the Central Americans.

"I doubt anyone would argue that they lacked ability or talent, but the togetherness and the spirit that they showed I think is a very good sign. a lot of possession and to defend well. I suppose in the old days they wouldn't have had the defensive discipline to come through that lead, but fortunately they did," said Barnes, who was made a Member of the British empire (MBE) in 1997.

The Jamaicans are now on four points from two games and face Honduras also at the National Stadium on Wednesday and Barnes said there is still a long way to go.

The former England international and television commentator said criticism of former technical director Rene Simoes' player choices are easy now, but hindsight is always 20/20.

Simoes was fired on September 11 after less than a year in the job following Jamaica's 0-2 loss to Honduras in Central America.

"It's easy to look back in hindsight and say 'if we had these', but we don't know what could have happened but we know what did happen so as to what could have happened... it's pointless to look at what could have happened because it's gone but I know that we're still in with an opportunity and so I'm happy for that," said Barnes.

Barnes will also be in charge of the national football squad's preparation for the Digicel Caribbean Cup between December 1 and 15, the CONCACAF Gold Cup in June next year, as well as the Final Round World Cup Qualifiers in 2009, should Jamaica advance following which his contract will be reviewed.

Barnes played professional football for Watford, Liverpool, Newcastle United and Charlton Athletic in the English Premier league and League Championship. He made 409 appearances for Liverpool scoring 108 goals and was voted Football Writers' Association Player of the Year in 1988 and 1990.
    Last edited by Karl; October 13, 2008, 10:23 AM.
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.
Working...
X