X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FIFA World Cup - Jamaica continues to bolster World Cup hope

FIFA World Cup
    Jamaica continues to bolster World Cup hopes with 1:0 victory over Honduras

10/15/2008 - KINGSTON, Jamaica -- Jamaica kept alive its hopes of advancing to the final round of CONCACAF World Cup qualifying,, beating Honduras 1:0 Wednesday at National Stadium.

Luton Shelton scored his sixth in the Caribbean Island’s 2010 World Cup Qualifying campaign – in the 16th minute. It was a second straight 1:0 home victory at “The Office” for the Reggae Boyz following Saturday’s upset against Group C leader Mexico.

The result leaves Jamaica with seven points, two points behind Honduras, and with a chance of making the six-team “hexagonal” with just one round of games to play.

Forced to play all of its first three games away from home in part due to Hurricane Gustav, Jamaica opened Group B play with a 1:1 draw in Canada and then lost to Mexico (3:0) and Honduras (2:0), triggering the firing of manager Rene Simoes.

But the two consecutive home wins, under interim manager Theodore Whitman, and results elsewhere have put Jamaica back into contention.

Three points at home for the Reggae Boyz against the Maple Leafs, coupled with a Mexico victory in San Pedro Sula would complete a comeback that seemed extremely unlikely just a month ago and ensure Jamaica a spot in the final round of qualifying.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Originally posted by Karl View Post

But the two consecutive home wins, under interim manager Theodore Whitman,
    Have to say the Hondurans were gracious in defeat. I was the sole Jamaican in a Honduran bar in Silver Spring and they congratulated me after the win and said that we had an excellent team. We even bought each other beers while cheering on Canada to beat Mexico but alas it was not to be.

Comment

Bricktop is a hell of a drive that you take to go watch the game.

Comment

Nah man I live in Germantown, MD only bout 20 minutes drive.

Comment

Got a text from a forumite: "me alone in a honduran bar bout 45 a dem"

I hope they were nice too!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

You must drive fast. Is not way up by Frederick or one of them country place in Maryland you live.

Comment

I was too busy oogling the g strings of the waitresses to notice anything else. Dem Spanish gyal have some round b@tty me a tell yuh

Comment

even the 80 year old grannies!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Nah man. I work in Frederick but I live in Germantown which is near Rockville/Gaithersburg. 20 minute drive to Silver Spring.

Comment

Wha do yuh man? Why yuh come put dem image in man head dem time a night when mi under two juice?

Comment

all redneck towns. you should fit in just fine!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Yes as far away from you darkies as possible. Yuh tink a ZEPPO dis? I shoot back

Comment

Working...
                        X