I have no regrets, says Downswell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have no regrets, says Downswell

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><SPAN class=TopStory>I have no regrets, says Downswell</SPAN>
    <SPAN class=Subheadline></SPAN></TD></TR><TR><TD>BY PAUL A REID Observer writer
    Sunday, August 13, 2006
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    <P class=StoryText align=justify>SAV-LA-MAR, Westmoreland - Wendell Downswell, who recently stepped down as technical director of the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF), says he has no regrets with the job he has done, given the resources he was given to work with.<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width=120 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD><SPAN class=Description>DOWNSWELL... I have laid a foundation for whoever comes </SPAN></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><P class=StoryText align=justify>The former national winger stepped down from the hot seat on August 4 following a slew of calls for his axing on the heels of a series of high-profile defeats in international friendlies.

The calls got tumultuous after Jamaica lost three straight friendly internationals in England. The Reggae Boyz lost 5-0 to Australia in October last year, then followed up with 4-1 and 6-0 results against Ghana and England, respectively, in World Cup warm-up matches earlier this year.
    All three teams advanced from their groups in the World Cup.<P class=StoryText align=justify>The JFF's public search for a new coach did not help matters, with several high-profiled names being bandied about.
    Downswell, who spoke to the Sunday Observer at Thursday's presentation ceremony of the Western Confed Super League and Westmoreland FA's Major League, says he is willing to stand by his record.<P class=StoryText align=justify>"No regrets, I took up the job with limited resources and what I have achieved I am proud of it... [I have] laid a foundation for whoever comes in and he can build on this."<P class=StoryText align=justify>Paucity of funds<P class=StoryText align=justify>Downswell admitted that in hindsight he might have done some things differently, but he insisted that given the paucity of funds available, he was not able to do all that he would have liked.

He cited the Colombian team that ousted the National Under-21 side from the recent CAC Games and went on to win the tournament. He said the Colombians played "39 high-quality international games in a year", leading up to the Games.
    That, he said, was what all coaches would like as it gives them a lot to look at in assessing players.<P class=StoryText align=justify>"We managed to play seven internationals, inclusive of five championships and managed to qualify for the Pan-Am Games... it's a remarkable and tremendous achievement for us with the limited resources we have."<P class=StoryText align=justify>By virtue of being the top-placed Caribbean team, Jamaica have automatically qualified for the 2007 Pan-American Games. Downswell asserted that with more funding, Jamaica could have made it to the semi-finals and stayed in contention for a medal.<P class=StoryText align=justify>Downswell, who started his latest stint with a bang when he led the team to the CFU Digicel Cup last year, said he is not sure where his next stop will be, but he is certain he'll make his contribution at some level.<P class=StoryText align=justify>National set-up<P class=StoryText align=justify>"I will have to make an assessment of what has transpired," he told the Sunday Observer, hinting that he was not out of the national set-up yet. "There is still a very strong possibility that I will continue to make a contribution to the JFF's initiative," he added.
    If that was not on the cards, he said, "I will still make my contribution to football in general, and especially in the western region."<P class=StoryText align=justify>Downswell, who also guided St Elizabeth Technical High School (STETHS) to
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
Working...
X