Rio misses out again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rio misses out again

The nominees were announced for the 2008 European Footballer of the Year award on Sunday night and not for the first time on an awards list there was one notable absentee.

Cristiano Ronaldo
    , no doubt the strong favourite, Wayne Rooney, Nemanja Vidic and Edwin van der Sar are the United representatives among the 30 candidates for the prestigious Ballon d'Or, but why oh why is Rio Ferdinand not on there?

In my opinion, the 30-year-old England international seems somewhat doomed when it comes to personal accolades. He was surprisingly not among last season's nominations for the PFA Player of the Year - granted the votes are cast just after the mid-point in the season - but I believe Rio had already done enough to make the short-list.

And, earlier this season, he was bizarrely pipped by John Terry in the best defender category at UEFA's club football awards. Of course, Terry is a top performer, but Rio, who captained the Reds' to Champions League glory last May, has been in a class of his own for a few seasons now and deserves some recognition. This latest omission follows an all too familiar pattern and one which I certainly can't fathom.

Aside from the United quartet, there are seven other Premier League representatives on the list, including Arsenal's Cesc Fabregas and Emmanuel Adebayor, Chelsea trio Michael Ballack, Frank Lampard and Didier Drogba, and Liverpool pair Fernando Torres and Steven Gerrard.

Here's hoping justice is at least done when the winner is announced on 2 December - if a certain Portuguese winger isn't beaming with delight at the glittering ceremoney in Paris, I'm sure I won't be the only one with something to say about it.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Biggest mystery since the Bermuda Triangle. Best Central Defender inna the world, yet the stiff coats refuse to give the man him dues? Guess himm haffi mess up him gears before the game done suh people can see he was doing something.

These people are some friggin idiots. John Terry UEFA defender of the year over Rio? Its obvious Roman pay Platini and him side kicks.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Working...
    X