FC Barcelona bidding for MLS team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FC Barcelona bidding for MLS team

Last Wednesday in Miami, Joan LaPorta (Barca's president) unvieled plans to buy an MLS franchise which he wants to start playing in 2010. He will be backed by Miami resident and Bolivian billionaire Marcelo Claure.

Mr LaPorta has already signed an agreement with FIU to play home games at the university's West-Dade football stadium. He also noted that a marquee playee will be brought in from FC Barcelona to add depth and quality to the team.

Upon hearing the news, Ray Hudson (former coach of the Miami Fusion) had this to say in his usual animated and colourful self:

"Barcelona is the royalty of all royalties. Their bid out-trumps anything any other ownership group could offer MLS. It's gargantuan and you have to make an exception when Barcelona comes knocking at your door. This is way beyond signing one poster boy."

Wow! All of that said in one gulp! But I concur. Selfishly so, I might add.
    I also hope that Jamaica's top 4 goalkeepers will try to vie for custodian duties with the Miami franchise.
    Last edited by Farmah; October 20, 2008, 12:34 PM.
    "The contribution of forumites and others who visit shouldn’t be discounted, and offending people shouldn’t be the first thing on our minds. Most of us are educated and can do better." Mi bredrin Sass Jan. 29,2011

Ole' Farmah MLS iz rubbish.

No well thinkin' major european football team owner would want to own a piece of MLS.

Don't believe mi...?

Ax Mosiah and im employee gamma.....eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek
    The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Sadly mi Lab Pardna, Mo is not the only one here who may think lowly of the MLS. Frankly it does not measure up to the big leagues in England, Spain, France, Italy, Germany and maybe even in Russia. However, it's the best one we have in the English-speaking part of the Western world. It's a viable league which provides employment to some of our present Boyz (Andy Williams; Tyrone Marshall; Omar Cummings; Ryan Johnson; Shavar Thomas and Dane Richards). Barcelona's interest in MLS lends the league
      some legitimacy and gives it mileage in visibility.

MLS is here to stay and it is a quality league, even if it lacks the exciting plays of the European games. And frankly, as I stated in an earlier post, I would like to see a couple of our top keepers in the MLS. As for Mo, yuh stay deh tink him nuh kno bettah!
      "The contribution of forumites and others who visit shouldn’t be discounted, and offending people shouldn’t be the first thing on our minds. Most of us are educated and can do better." Mi bredrin Sass Jan. 29,2011

Comment

You see, HL wants to compare it to the DPL. That's how desperate he is.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

oH nOOOOO !!!

Comment

same logic mi si emanating from palin's campaign speeches......

the best of a bad lot doesn't make it great or even good for that matter.

the intention is likely to be a feeder system for players form south america primarily......i think that famous bolivian academy will feature as will marco "el diablo" etcheverry...

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Re: "the intention is likely to be a feeder system for players form south america primarily."

I gather as much too. And El Diablo has been seen around Miami quite often; makes me wonder if he lives here....and has something cooking, a la involvement with the new franchise. Severeal months ago, I believe at some award ceremony in Miami, he voiced his disappointment that Miami was without an MLS franchise.

Comment

The MLS is a good league, my only problem with some here is they constantly compare it to the top leagues of the world.

The MLS managers are doing a good job to let it grow. I just think some of the big teams are a bit too desperate to grow and run for some wash up big names instead of concentrating on growing their teams. Big market teams like New York, Toronto, and LA have no reason to be where they are at.

I hope Miami go out and support this time around.
                • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Working...
                X