Premier League title race is like facing Usain Bolt, says Ar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Premier League title race is like facing Usain Bolt, says Ar

Premier League title race is like facing Usain Bolt, says Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger

So competitive has the Premier League title race become, that Arsene Wenger has compared it to taking on Usain Bolt over 100 metres.

By Duncan White
    Last Updated: 8:22PM BST 25 Oct 2008

Lights out: is Arsenal's season over now the League is more competitive? Photo: GETTY IMAGES

"We live in a competitive world, with competitors of an extremely high level," Wenger said. "You are very fast but if you run with Usain Bolt you can still lose the 100m. It is like that."

Wenger's Arsenal have been sensational at times this season but have also slipped to defeats against Fulham and Hull, slips akin to ceding valuable fractions of a second out of the block to Jamaica's celebrated Olympic champion. "We have Chelsea, Liverpool and Manchester United, who are competitors of extreme talent," Wenger said. "And if you take all the talent in these teams you have 80 per cent of the best players in the world all grouped. The level of the competition is very high."

That competitive context means imperfections get magnified. Wenger wanted to sign a centre-half with aerial presence in the last transfer window and, having failed to find a face – or rather frame – that fit, Arsenal have duly looked vulnerable at set-pieces. Fulham and Hull scored their winning goals from corners.

The defensive fragility evident amid the impressive attacking flair of the 5-2 midweek win over Fenerbahce in Istanbul should be helped somewhat at West Ham today by the return to fitness of Kolo Toure and William Gallas. The number of times Daniel Guiza burst free through the middle for Fenerbahce would suggest that the return of Toure, who would give less ground to Bolt than most, is especially welcome.

The return of Gallas is more fraught, though, with Wenger disappointed to discover pictures in a tabloid newspaper of his captain smoking at the end of a night out. Speaking before the picture was published, Gallas admitted that his form had been patchy and that his leadership role put him under scrutiny.

"Sometimes it is not easy because if you have had a bad game, the next match you want to lift the level up as high as you can. I am the first man to judge myself when I have had a bad game.

"I am 31 years old now, so I do not mind what is written about me. I know myself when I have played badly or not. It is a big story when I don't play well, but I have learnt that is part of being the captain.

"There is a lot of pressure on your shoulders when you are a captain, but it is a good experience for me. When we lose or when we draw straight away people look at the captain, and to be honest that is something that surprised me when I first took the job. But I'm used to it now and I don't mind."
    Last edited by Karl; October 27, 2008, 11:58 AM.
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

"A player who, in my opinion, would have had an opportunity to really put Jamaican football on the map up in England who, from a personality point of view could have competed with anybody at the highest level in the (English) Premier League, was Onandi Lowe," said Barnes,

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Woulda, coulda, & missed opportunities due to unfortunate circumstances and bad attitudes.
      Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

there you have it...LUGE!!!!!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Hortical View Post
          Woulda, coulda, & missed opportunities due to unfortunate circumstances and bad attitudes.
          what unfortunate circumstances ? The drug issue ? He made that choice and must now live with it.
          Sunday, August 28th, 2011. We will never forget !!

Comment

Tell Mo he will be back.

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Great! And I hear Walter Boyd will be back too! Fantastic!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

When Boyd can draw comments like that from a former English international and twice EPL player of the year talk to me .

Jermain Hue too.

Comment

and mi think you did a talk bout the DPL with nearly all the teams have a chance except Meadhaven.
                  • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Is the hate that bad ? All I did was put it in my signature , a nuh me say so a JB , yuh a guh carry belly fe JB to ?

Your campaign against the man has started already and Barnes only sang him praise, let me remind you he didnt recall him.

I made a post by Wegner complimenting Bolt and yuh twist it to jump on Lowe .When will it stop?

Comment

Yuh notice the past tense in that sentence, right?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Its really bad. I Dx you with Anti -Lowits

Comment

Is it terminal?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                          X