• Show
Clear All

• Rene Simoes applies for Ja TD but he had fired Boxhil

<DIV id=printReady>

What cost for World Cup glory?
    published: Sunday | August 13, 2006
    <DIV class=KonaBody>

FILE
    Sven Goran Eriksson ... would cost a cool J$1.5 billion to coach the national football team over the next four years.

Howard Walker, Staff Reporter

JAMAICA'S SEARCH for a top quality coach will not come easy unless corporate Jamaica <SPAN class=kLink style="FONT-WEIGHT: 400; COLOR: blue! important; FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; POSITION: relative">forks</SPAN> out between $260 million to $1.5 billion over a four-year period, to accommodate the coach's demands.

A close look at the asking remuneration fees by these top-line coaches would make your heart race.

The highest fee being bandied about is the £3 million Sven Goran Eriksson of Sweden is asking. When converted into Jamaican dollars, the Swede is really asking for J$366 million a year or a mind-boggling J$1.5 billion over four years.

Embarrassing selections

That figure is coming from a coach who made a mess of the English team at the <SPAN class=kLink style="FONT-WEIGHT: 400; COLOR: blue! important; FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; POSITION: relative">World </SPAN><SPAN class=kLink style="FONT-WEIGHT: 400; COLOR: blue! important; FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; POSITION: relative">Cup</SPAN> with some embarrassing team selections and tactics.

Furthermore, the poker-faced Eriksson requested that he also wanted to coach a European club simultaneously.

Next on the list is the Serbian-born coach, Velibor 'Bora' Milutinovic, the only person to have coached five different teams at the World Cup: Mexico (1986), <SPAN class=kLink style="FONT-WEIGHT: 400; COLOR: blue! important; FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; POSITION: relative">Costa </SPAN><SPAN class=kLink style="FONT-WEIGHT: 400; COLOR: blue! important; FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; POSITION: relative">Rica</SPAN> (1990), the United States (1994), Nigeria (1998) and China (2002). It is understood that his agent was asking for 3.5 million euro (J$266m) a year, and for four years it would be J$1.06 billion; a fee that rules Milutinovic out of the picture also.

He is also the first coach to take four differen
    The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

RE: Rene Simoes applies for Ja TD but he had fired Boxhil

I really do hope that the JFF has struck those billion dollar coaches of its short list. A pity we don't know what Simoes may be asking for, but if it's up in those celestial regions, then goodbye to him too.

The short list need only be the two unnamed Brazilians, Glen Hoddle, John Barnes and Foppe de Haan. I amassuming they are all in the "reasonable" range.I would not have a problem with either, but my first choice remains Barnes.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

two unnamed Brazilians , who are they , Brazillian is the automatic choice the dutch 2nd
      THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Well Boxhill better let bygones be bygones because the Prof. is needed

in JA and he understands our situation. Furthermore the prof. can

undercut that 3 mil price tag and use some the money to get other youth coaches from Brasil on the island. Why are we even looking any place else?

Comment

so mi see it to

Comment

X (8/13/2006)two unnamed Brazilians , who are they , Brazilian is the automatic choice the dutch 2nd
            Do you find it surprising that they can name all the other candidates, but the two Brazilians they cannot call names? This is typical Jamaican journalism. If you can know names for all the others, why is it you cannot give the names of the Brazilians? Check with the JFF and hold your article until you have the full details to present.
            "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Heh, heh, heh.

I guess Rene found Boxhill to be incompetent from along time. I wonder if anything has changed with Boxhill since then?
              "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

I can't see how you can say in good conscience that Barnes would be your first choice. W don't have the time and money to be running any experiments. The DUTCHMAN is the obvious choice with over 30 years of coaching experience including youth development.

Comment

Let me get this right. You have no clue who the Brasilian coaches are but they are the "automatic choice"? No wonder our football is in the state it is now.

Comment

Now this is a good story.

Only thing I would add is that whoever comes, especially an established coach, he will being his staff and their salaries are not included in the coach's. So it woulkd drive the cost up a bit.

If it is Sven and they agree to share him with the club then add plane fare.
                    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
                    Che Guevara.

Comment

Working...
                    X