Sir Alex slams Blatter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sir Alex slams Blatter

Sir Alex Ferguson has hit out at Sepp Blatter and suggested he could be "too old" to be president of FIFA and has claimed that power could be going to his head like African dictators.

MatthewPeters/GettyImages
    Sir Alex Ferguson presents Cristiano Ronaldo with his FIFPro World Player of the Year award

It stems from Blatter's remarks which likened United's treatment of Cristiano Ronaldo, refusing to sell him to Real Madrid, as well as a series of other surprising statements. Blatter said United's decision to reject Real's advances against the player's wishes was like "modern slavery"' which angered the United boss.

And Sir Alex also claimed that the only reason Real signed Gabriel Heinze in August 2007 was to act as a lure to Ronaldo.

In an interview with GQ Magazine published in The Times, Ferguson said: "I think Sepp Blatter is in danger...or has reached a point now where he is being mocked within the game. "Whether he is getting too old, I don't know. But things can happen to people in power. Look at some of the despots in Africa.''

While denying he was likening Blatter to the likes of Robert Mugabe, he said: "That would be ridiculous. All I'm saying is that, from a position of great power, he has uttered so many ridiculous statements that he is in danger of seriously damaging his credibility.

"So when he came out with that stuff it created a furore and rightly so, the year after the commemoration of the 200th anniversary of the abolition of slavery.''

The Manchester United boss also revealed he had been expecting Real to target Ronaldo following their move for Gabriel Heinze a year before.
    "It was different for me because I knew it was coming, so I wasn't surprised. When we sold Gabriel Heinze to Real Madrid we knew it was going to happen because Ronaldo was very close to Heinze.

"I knew what they were doing. I don't believe they were interested in Heinze - good player though he is. The end game was to get Ronaldo.
    "What made it really obscene was that Madrid, as General Franco's club, had a history of being able to get whoever and whatever they wanted, before democracy came to Spain.''

Sir Alex Ferguson has also dismissed Peter Kenyon's defection to Chelsea in 2003 by insisting it was a blessing in disguise.

Kenyon replaced Martin Edwards as chief executive of Manchester United in
    Ferguson said: "No. Definitely not. Peter Kenyon? He wasn't a loss. The best thing that has happened recently has been David Gill.''

Kenyon was pictured wearing a runners-up medal at the Champions League final in Moscow earlier this year after the Red Devils had edged the penalty shoot-out. In contrast, Sir Bobby Charlton refused to wear a winners' medal.

Ferguson continued: "Charlton was saying: 'look, this is not my night. This is the players' night'. There would have been a lot of understanding if he had worn the medal because, 50 years on from the Busby Babes, he had every right. "But he was thinking of the players and the football club. And that is Bobby Charlton.''

The Scot is set to retire in the next couple of years and he admits it is a daunting prospect although he is confident there will be a smooth transition.

"There will be no problem,'' the 66-year-old went on. "The foundation is here. The morale is here. I am not responsible for everything.
    "It's a funny thing, though; the older I get, the more frightened I get of retiring. But there will come a time when I clear my desk and someone will take over. "I hope and expect they will be a formidable person. Because this job, believe me, is not easy.''
    Last edited by Karl; October 28, 2008, 03:05 PM.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

so fergie is 66, how old is blatter?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
      so fergie is 66, how old is blatter?
      Its like you and Mosiah constantly drinking, Mosiah end up drunk everytime ... does that make you a drunkard as well?
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

breds i think is you figget yuh meds this morning....i merely ask how old is blatter...i have sinced checked and he is about 72...that answers my question.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
          Sir Alex Ferguson has hit out at Sepp Blatter and suggested he could be "too old" to be president of FIFA and has claimed that power could be going to his head like African dictators.

MatthewPeters/GettyImages
          Sir Alex Ferguson presents Cristiano Ronaldo with his FIFPro World Player of the Year award

It stems from Blatter's remarks which likened United's treatment of Cristiano Ronaldo, refusing to sell him to Real Madrid, as well as a series of other surprising statements. Blatter said United's decision to reject Real's advances against the player's wishes was like "modern slavery"' which angered the United boss.

And Sir Alex also claimed that the only reason Real signed Gabriel Heinze in August 2007 was to act as a lure to Ronaldo.

In an interview with GQ Magazine published in The Times, Ferguson said: "I think Sepp Blatter is in danger...or has reached a point now where he is being mocked within the game. "Whether he is getting too old, I don't know. But things can happen to people in power. Look at some of the despots in Africa.''

While denying he was likening Blatter to the likes of Robert Mugabe, he said: "That would be ridiculous. All I'm saying is that, from a position of great power, he has uttered so many ridiculous statements that he is in danger of seriously damaging his credibility.

"So when he came out with that stuff it created a furore and rightly so, the year after the commemoration of the 200th anniversary of the abolition of slavery.''

The Manchester United boss also revealed he had been expecting Real to target Ronaldo following their move for Gabriel Heinze a year before.
          "It was different for me because I knew it was coming, so I wasn't surprised. When we sold Gabriel Heinze to Real Madrid we knew it was going to happen because Ronaldo was very close to Heinze.

"I knew what they were doing. I don't believe they were interested in Heinze - good player though he is. The end game was to get Ronaldo.
          "What made it really obscene was that Madrid, as General Franco's club, had a history of being able to get whoever and whatever they wanted, before democracy came to Spain.''
          On this one there is on Fergie's part the matter of interest of the club vs interest of the player.

Forget Real Madrid!
          Fergie has always made his huge decisions based on what is best for Fergie and ManU. To hell with the player or players!

How much was Real madrid offering Ronaldo? Was it enough to be worth Ronaldo's leaving? ...or put another way: Did Fergie see to it that Ronaldo receives comparable offer as inducement to remain?
          "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Karl your questions are redundant. Real Madrid could have offered to pay the Empire a billion dollars for Ronaldo, it still wouldn't matter to SAF because he had a signed legal contract. The Empire wasn't/isn't obligated to match or increase Ronaldo's salary to keep him there. Plain and simple.
            Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Originally posted by Jangle View Post
              Karl your questions are redundant. Real Madrid could have offered to pay the Empire a billion dollars for Ronaldo, it still wouldn't matter to SAF because he had a signed legal contract. The Empire wasn't/isn't obligated to match or increase Ronaldo's salary to keep him there. Plain and simple.
              Contracts are just that...agreements that usually can be reasonably dissolved. Do you think if it were in the best interest of the club to sell Ronaldo and get other players overtures would not be made and the deal done?

Sir Alex acted in his and his club's self-interest and to hell with Ronaldo's desires. Perhaps Sir Alex's actions would be what we would all do if we were in his position. Just face that fact!
              "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Working...
              X