• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Young GUNNERS fall once more!

Stoke 2-1 Arsenal

By Ian Hughes

Stoke punished Arsenal with basic but effective tactics

Ricardo Fuller and Seyi Olofinjana both scored after long throw-ins by Rory Delap as Arsenal capitulated and also had Robin van Persie sent off.

Delap sent a throw to the far post and Fuller glanced in for the opener.
    Delap, himself, then looped in a header that Gael Clichy cleared off the line before Olofinjana chested in Stoke's second from another Delap throw-in.
    Van Persie saw red for shoving Thomas Sorensen before Clichy pulled a goal back with a deflected shot.

The defeat is another serious blow to Arsenal's title aspirations, while Stoke will be delighted with three points that take them a little further away from the drop zone. There was nothing pretty - or surprising - in the way Stoke went about their business, but it proved effective.

Wenger frustrated after 'difficult day'

An Arsenal side selected to cope with their opponents' physical presence struggled to handle Stoke strike pair Fuller and Mamady Sidibe.
    And a combination of Delap's speciality throw-in and Fuller's strength cost Arsenal dear as the pair fashioned Stoke's winner.

Kolo Toure was dominated by Fuller, whose deft touch to Delap's delivery sent the ball past keeper Manuel Almunia.

Arsenal, lacking the guile and pace of Robin van Persie and Theo Walcott - both on the bench - looked disjointed and bewildered.

And it could have been worse for the Gunners had Delap managed to get a little more power on a goalbound header that Clichy cleared.
    A tame Emmanuel Adebayor shot that Sorensen comfortably gathered was the best Arsenal could muster.

The Gunners brought on Walcott on 57 minutes in the hope of adding some thrust to their play.

But with Cesc Fabregas a shadow of himself, one wondered where the England youngster's supply line would come from.
    Instead it was the hosts who almost scored when another Delap throw caused mayhem and Salif Diao's volley from the edge of the area was superbly saved by Almunia.

I'm not all Stoke have got - Delap

It was a warning that Arsenal failed to heed, and from Delap's next throw-in, Ryan Shawcross nodded on and Olofinjana scrambled the ball over the line, nudging it forwards twice with his chest.

Worse was to come on a miserable day for the visitors when Van Persie, on the pitch for only 12 minutes, was dismissed after needlessly barging into Sorensen.

After a lengthy delay for an injury to Walcott, who was stretchered off, Clichy's effort from the edge of the box went in with the help of a couple of deflections.

But there was to be no great escape for Arsenal, and they would not have deserved one.

BBC Sport Player Rater man of the match: Stoke's Rory Delap 7.65 (on 90 minutes).
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Arsene Wenger a turn Simoes now?

too mch belief inna the young guns.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Arsenal corna dark .
      THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Faye - Gunners are soft

Stoke defender Abdoulaye Faye believes it is possible to intimidate Arsenal and has predicted an upset in Saturday's clash at the Britannia Stadium.

The Gunners have developed a reputation in recent years as a side that does not relish the physical battle of some Premier League games.

Faye had success against Arsenal during his time with Bolton and believes Stoke also possess the qualities to trouble Arsene Wenger's men.

"Of all the real contenders to win the Premier League, Arsenal are the softest," said Faye.

"They don't like it when teams are physical. They are a very good side and can play football - but at Bolton we just used to press them and they didn't like it.

"It is possible to scare them and I don't know why everybody doesn't do it.

"They don't like playing big strong guys and we're not short of those here."

Vulnerable
        Faye feels that Chelsea, Manchester United and Liverpool are much better equipped for such situations.

He explained: "Chelsea have the likes of John Terry, Manchester United have Rio Ferdinand and Nemanja Vidic, while Liverpool have the likes of Jamie Carragher and Martin Skrtel.

"Arsenal don't really have that and they could be in for a big shock against us.

"I think there's a real possibility we could beat them."

Rory Delap's long throw-ins have been a major weapon for the Potters this season and Faye reckons Arsenal's lack of height at the back makes them vulnerable.

"I have never seen anything like this in my life," Faye said of his team-mate.

"I'm positive Arsenal won't like it because they don't really have a big man."

Comment

There for all to see...but it is the inexperience that has done us in...will do us in this year.
          "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Working...
          X