Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obrien White di Yaardie

Interview with NCAA record setter O'Brian WhiteInterviews
    O’Brian White made headlines last season when he set the NCAA single season scoring record with 23 goals and was awarded the Hermann Trophy (the most prestigious individual award in NCAA soccer). White won the Big East rookie of the year award in 2005 and was named to the ALL-BIG EAST first team the past 2 seasons. This season White has been nominated for the Senior Class award which awards achievement in four areas: Classroom, Character, Community, and Competition.

The native of Jamaica who spent his high school years in Scarborough, Ontario has been linked by many to Toronto FC because of his Canadian residency, whether or not he gets selected by Toronto FC remains to be seen, but there is no doubt that (if he so chooses) White will be somewhere in the MLS next season.

We would like to thank O’Brian for taking some time and answering some questions for us at MLSDraft.net.

How would you describe the current season with UCONN?

Not easy, facing a lot of adversity including injuries and cards.

You haven’t found the net nearly as much this season as you did last (then again, no UCONN player might ever do what you did last season). What do you attribute to the drop in goals, is it a matter of teams trying to take you out of games and making other players beat them?

Even though teams have tried to disrupt the way I play, that has affected my performance, but the main reason is injury. We only played two games all season with our full team so that is a big reason production is down.

Out of all the goals you have scored in your career at UCONN, is there one that sticks out as most memorable? Can you walk us through that goal?

I would say the last goal I scored against South Florida last year in the sweet sixteen to complete my first playoff hat trick. It was a ball I got from a throw-in and I dribbled towards the middle of the field and shot it in the upper right corner off my left foot, it was also the goal that set a single season record for UConn scoring.

Have you settled into the leadership role at UCONN? Do you enjoy the captaincy role?

It is good being a captain, it is an honor and I try my best to make sure my teammates are ready for every game we compete in.

You have recently been nominated for the Senior Class award which awards achievements in the classroom, on the field and in the community. Many people would settle for being a standout soccer player; however you dedicate a lot of your time to off-field community activites, whats drives you to do these things?

I just like to give back to the community whenever I can because I appreciate the support I have received throughout my career at UConn and I just try to give back as much as I can.

What types of things go through your mind during the 90 minutes of a soccer game?

Just work hard and let my game come to me ...Don’t try to force it and just to out work my opponent and leave everything on the field.

How do you get yourself ready for a game?

Getting a lot of rest, stay hydrated and be mentally prepared.

Many readers (particularly Toronto FC fans) have been asking about your Canadian eligibility. Are you a Canadian citizen/do you currently hold a Canadian passport?

I’m a Jamaican citizen but I’m a resident of Canada.

Is getting drafted and playing in the MLS your focus in the immediate future?

It’s possible but I’m just waiting until after the season here. And then I’ll decide what's the best option for me.

Have you watched many MLS games? Is playing so close to home at Toronto FC something that you hope happens?

I watch alot of MLS games, especially on Thursday’s. Play where you live could be exciting.

Do you keep in touch with Julius James? How is he enjoying his time in the MLS with Toronto? Has he given you any kind of pointers on what to expect from MLS?

Yeah we spoke a few times throughout the season and he was enjoying the season and working hard. He told me that the MLS is a lot faster and has more technical players.

How did you first get involved with soccer? Was soccer the only sport you played?

I got involved by playing with my cousins and friends when I was like 5 years old or so.
    I also played tennis, cricket and did track and field.

When you have time to yourself, what are some of the things you enjoy doing?

Watching TV and movies and hanging out with friends.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

It will be interesting to see how well he makes the transition into MLS ball.

Comment

I think he will make the transition since he can play more than one position. He can hold up the ball, can strike, play a little wide. I can see him linking up with Rohan Ricketts and Marvel Whinn.

Toronto is a good team for him. Big money market, have some good midfielder and is in need of goals. He definately would get oppurtunity to score if he is on that team.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Working...
      X