No Watford Move. 6-1 vs Cayman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Watford Move. 6-1 vs Cayman

GEORGETOWN, Cayman Islands - Jamaican head coach John Barnes has rubbished reports linking him to the vacant post of manager for Championship team Watford Football Club.

According to reports out of England, Barnes who only assumed his position on November 1, is being considered for the manager’s job along with another former Watford legend the 50-year-old Luther Blissett following the sacking of Aidy Boothroyd recently. Both players formed a productive goalscoring partnership for Watford in the 1980s.
    “I don’t comment on speculation. Watford have not spoken to me nor have I spoken to them. The fact of the matter is that I have a job and that is the end of the story really,” said Barnes who turns 45 on Friday.
    “The obvious link though is that I am a former Watford player as is Luther Blissett. Watford have just lost their manager so people are speculating about former Watford players. It is just paper talk,” added the man who distinguished himself at Watford before making his then big-money move to Liverpool in 1987.

Meanwhile, Barnes was a satisfied man following Jamaica’s 6-1 win over a Cayman Islands All-Star team at the Truman Bodden Stadium on Wednesday Night in their first of two games during a one-week training camp on the island.

A double from midfielder Ricardo Cousins (22nd and 63rd) and single strikes from fellow midfielder Jermaine Hue (9th), forwards Jermaine Anderson (11th) and Marcelino Blackburn (78th) as well as defender Desmond Breakenridge (75th) gave the Reggae Boyz a massive win over their less fancied opposition. Deosar Gonzalez scored for the Cayman All-Stars.

Despite the margin of the win, what made Barnes, who presiding over the national team in a competitive match for the first time, was the manner in which the Boyz carried out their duties.

“I expected us to win and win convincingly but I was looking to see if they would take my instructions on board in terms of the way I wanted them to play. It was difficult because of the conditions - it was raining and the field was wet but they did well,” a pleased Barnes said.

“The goals were very pleasing but I got more pleasure from the transition and the patterns that they were weaving,” added Barnes who shone as a player for Liverpool and England in the 80s and 90s.

The small but vociferous crowd which turned up for the game seemed in full agreement with Barnes pronouncement as they openly voiced their appreciation of the way the team played. That response was expected of Jamaican supporters but even supporters of the local team applauded the visitors even expressing the view that they got their money’s worth.

For Barnes the performance was a good platform for the future and more immediately for the Digicel Caribbean Championships, the main focus of this week-long training camp in the Cayman Islands.

“I can see the beginnings of an identity – how I want them to play as a team. Even when the substitutes went on (they) fitted in seamlessly.

“The changes were made and the intensity did not drop. This is the attitude that we have to have all the time no matter who we play,” added Barnes who introduced nine substitutes in the second half.

Among the substitutes who really impressed Barnes with their professionalism during and after the game were Rodolph Austin and Omar Cummings who arrived in the island on the morning of the game.

“Austin and Cummings are professionals so they know what to expect and how to perform. They came in on the day, were introduced in the second half and t performed. You saw the work that they were doing after the game.

“At the end of the game Austin called over Cummings and they did some more sprints. What this shows is that the potential is there in Jamaica but the difference is exposure and the attitude will be different with exposure,” Barnes explained.

He added: “I have heard talk before about Jamaican footballers and their attitude when they go abroad but as soon as they get settled they get carried by the attitude and the approach.”

As far as Sunday’s game is concerned Barnes said Wednesday’s result will not influence his plans providing everyone remains fit.

“I always had in my head teams that I would play for both games and I saw what I expected to see so whatever I saw will not influence my thinking as it relates to Sunday’s game. I will always play my strongest team,” Barnes offered.

JAMAICA- Shawn Sawyers (Dwayne Miller), Jermaine Taylor (capt.) (Andre Darby), Adrian Reid, Lance Laing, Eric Vernan (Desmond Breakenridge), Nicholy Finlayson (Rodolph Austin), Keneil Moodie , Ricardo Cousins (Omar Cummings) Jermaine Hue (Andrae Campbell), Roland Dean (Marcelino Blackburn) , Jermaine Anderson (Denzil Watson).

Marcelino Blackburn - We Helped Him

Marcelino Blackburn was a member of the original Westchester United (now Independence City) youth players whom we helped in 2001.

Marcelino now plays for Harbour View, but has also played for Arnett Gardens.

Comment

Originally posted by Me View Post
      “I don’t comment on speculation. Watford have not spoken to me nor have I spoken to them. The fact of the matter is that I have a job and that is the end of the story really,” said Barnes who turns 45 on Friday.
      “The obvious link though is that I am a former Watford player as is Luther Blissett. Watford have just lost their manager so people are speculating about former Watford players. It is just paper talk,” added the man who distinguished himself at Watford before making his then big-money move to Liverpool in 1987.
      Seems like he commented quite a bit!

"What this shows is that the potential is there in Jamaica but the difference is exposure and the attitude will be different with exposure,” Barnes explained.
      Been trying to tell 'em, Johnny!

"I will always play my strongest team,” Barnes offered.
      Good to hear, Johnny!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Mosiah,

have you seen much of Ricardo Cousins this season. Any progression in his game?

Comment

None at all! I'm surprised he scored 2 goals in Cayman. I doubt if he'll make the Digicel side.

Of course, Lionpaw (whey him deh?) might feel different.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Is it me, or does anyone else thinks that Johnny Barnes is talking a little too much to the media? He seems to be easily accessible to evry media house and is quick to share his opinions on every trivial matter.
            Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

You should catch him in the stadium! Never short on words. Talks passionately about football.

Is this really a problem? Not necessarily. I wouldn't muzzle him just yet.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

he single out any talent pon show?
                “I am not a politician..I only suffer the consequences”.......Peter Tosh

Comment

Well, he said Maestro is an unbelievable talent!

Just kidding.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

i guess him nuh chat dat much....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                      Well, he said Maestro is an unbelievable talent!
                      statements like dat would get him de sack.
                      “I am not a politician..I only suffer the consequences”.......Peter Tosh

Comment

Skippy!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Jangle View Post
                          Is it me, or does anyone else thinks that Johnny Barnes is talking a little too much to the media? He seems to be easily accessible to evry media house and is quick to share his opinions on every trivial matter.
                          its YOU !!
                          Sunday, August 28th, 2011. We will never forget !!

Comment

Working...
                          X