X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• am confident against Honduras - Eriksson

By Enrique Machado for JamaicaWIN.com
    Central American correspondent

Mexican coach Sven Goran Eriksson has three objectives for the night of November 19 in San Pedro Sula:
    1 – Play well
    2 – Win
    3 – Qualify

To achieve that, the Swede has named the 23 players best Mexican players, from his perspective.

“It’s always the same thing. I think that these 23 players are the best suited for the job in Honduras. They are, for me, the best. Of course when we pick these players, one believes that they are the best and are able to do the best job in Honduras. We go with the thought of winning, win the group and qualify. I am very optimistic after the game against Ecuador (2-1 win on Wednesday).
    We are going to improve, we are going to win and are going to qualify,” said the national coach in a press conference in Mexico City on Friday.

LIST OF SOLDIERS FOR THE WAR AGAINST HONDURAS

Keepers: Oswaldo Sanchez (Santos Laguna) Guillermo Ochoa (America) Jose de Jesus Corona (Tecos UAG).

Defenders: Ricardo Osorio-Stuttgart, Carlos Salcido-PSV Eindhoven, Rafael Márquez-Barcelona, Aaron Galindo-Eintracht Frankfurt, Héctor Moreno-AZ Alkmaar, Leobardo Lopez-Pachuca Diego Martinez-Tigres UANL, Fausto Pinto-Pachuca.

Midfielders: Pavel Pardo-Stuttgart, Fernando Arce -Santos Laguna, Gerardo Torrado -Cruz Azul, Antonio Naelson "Sinha" –Toluca, Jaime Correa -Pachuca, Israel Martínez -San Luis, Andres Guardado - Deportivo La Coruna.

Forwards: Omar Bravo - Deportivo La Coruna, Carlos Vela – Arsenal, Nery Castillo - Manchester City, Vicente Matías Vuoso - Santos Laguna, Omar Arellano - Guadalajara.

SVEN GÖRAN ERIKSSON GAME OF LIFE OR DEATH

“I agree that it’s a game of life or death,” affirmed Sven. “But we should not think that Mexico may be out of the World Cup. I always think that we are going to qualify for the next elimination group and then the World Cup,” he said.

“The most important of all is to qualify. That’s the principal objective, but I want to see a team which plays well; that’s why the game against Ecuador was so important, because the team showed technical and tactical strength. They demonstrated a lot of character. We were losing 0-1 and we won in the end. I want to see that again in Honduras,” he offered confidently.

Although the scene could get a bit cloudy, Eriksson will not think negatively.

Is he guaranteeing a spot in the next round?

“One cannot guarantee anything in football, but I have never thought that Mexico could be out of the World Cup. The team does not depend on other results.
    “I think we are not afraid of Honduras, just like I think that Honduras is not afraid of Mexico. What is sure is that we both respect each other. And I know that Honduras will do everything to win,” he said.

Goal difference favours Mexico over Jamaica by a large margin in case there is a tie after 90 minutes in Kingston and San Pedro Sula. Things change dramatically when one considers that the Reggae Boyz are playing at home against a possibly de-motivated, eliminated Canadian team of reserves and under-23 players.

“I did not know that, I have no idea of the team that will go to Jamaica and that is not important to me, that’s Canada’s problem. We have an important job to do and win the game. What happens in Jamaica should not bother us,” Eriksson argued.

Many topics were covered in the Press conference with the national coach. After nearly four months in charge of Mexico, he spoke of how he came in contact with the Mexican Football Federation; meetings with the big sponsors and owners recently and the serious risk to his prestige.

PRESTIGE AT RISK

“Yes, in a sense yes. One’s prestige is always on the line, but here it is that of Mexico. Number one, we have to play well, number two we have to qualify. Prestige is very important, but more important is that Mexico plays in South Africa 2010, “ he affirmed.

ONE TRAINING SESSION
    “There’s little time, and that’s a factor which we understand and we have to do whatever we can to resolve the situation. It’s a positive for me in that when we get together to work with the players, we do the same thing we have done before so they know how to attack and how to organize themselves on the pitch,” he argued.

THE NEED FOR PSYCOLOGICAL WORK

Sven told the gathering that he had recommended that the Federation contract a psychologist to work and travel with the team. This is a tense occasion and a mental professional is especially important.

“On many occasions in teams that I worked with before, I worked with someone who understands the mind. I know it is important. If we look back to England, we did not work with a psychologist and on two occasions we lost on penalties. It’s very difficult to work only on the field, that’s why a mental professional is necessary for example,” he concluded.

Editors note: A win for Mexico combined with a win for Jamaica would see Jamaica advance. A tie between Honduras and Mexico complicates Jamaica’s qualification as the Reggae Boyz would have to beat Canada by seven clear goals. A win for Honduras would also force the Boyz to get many goals to give themselves a chance.

JamaicaWIN.com will have live coverage of the game between Canada and Jamaica starting at 8:00pm Jamaica time.
    Sunday, August 28th, 2011. We will never forget !!

Well both them and honduras must be sweating seeing the team Canada giving us, an inexperiene one.

What we need to do is SCORE within the first 20 minutes and put the pressure up on them, two if possible.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Mi really like how Jamaica win takes a different approach and gives us a lot of news we don't normally get from the Jamaican press. The writing/editing is pretty poor, but it is a good start.

Comment

The next step is the visuals on the internet live from the training ground and interviews from the players as I am sure the football fans in Mexico, and the region would love to see it not to mention the EPL fans and also fans in AFrica, South America etc.

In time, in time calm down Shatta its not yet time fi run out pon dem
        heeeeel!

Karl how things my lord?
        Here chomping on the bit to getting this visual thing up and going and selling Jerseys etc off it.

Man its so easy nowadays sometimes I lose focus wanting to start yesterday but I talk to myself and I patiently return to the cave to continue the planning

Just wait till mi charge out pon dem off the hills

thanks Jamaicawin

Comment

Working...
        X